Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SPANISH LADY
    • By SPANISH LADY 9th Apr 19, 11:33 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SPANISH LADY
    barclaycard problem
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:33 AM
    barclaycard problem 9th Apr 19 at 11:33 AM
    M husband who did not already have a barclaycard applied through the Money Saving Expert link for a Barclaycard Platinum Cash Back Plus mainly to use if necessary to obtain cash with no charge while abroad. He was issued with a Barclaycard Platinum which appears to offer him transfer benefits etc but not the specific card he had applied for. I already have the same Barclaycard . we currently use the Halifax clarity card but on seeing the benefits of this particular Barclaycard we decided to apply. we have complained to Barclaycard who have explained it is not their fault or responsibility as it is the
    link to Money Saving Expert which has caused the problem and will not and cannot replace the supplied card for the one we want. This has no credit issues it is all to do with the link.
    Our only option is to reapply after 6 months which will of course show up as a hard application on his credit history. which may not cause us problems (not looking for loans mortgages etc) but hardly fair. as a great follower of Martin Lewis I don't believe he would like this happening to his followers and Barclaycard have admitted they have had more than my complaint. I have pointed out to Barclaycard they are obviously receiving loads of business through this link and should be ensuring its correct but they say it not their fault that it is Money Saving Experts fault.
    I am also unable to make my problem direct to Money Saving Expert as their email link is not working
    I am disappointed.
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 9th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    You do realise the great Martin Lewis sold this site a good while back?
    • SPANISH LADY
    • By SPANISH LADY 9th Apr 19, 11:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SPANISH LADY
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:47 AM
    yes of course
    • Chino
    • By Chino 9th Apr 19, 11:48 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Chino
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:48 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:48 AM
    Our only option is to reapply after 6 months which will of course show up as a hard application on his credit history.
    Originally posted by SPANISH LADY
    Whilst I can understand your frustration, this won't cause you any detriment.

By the way, the title of your post is misleading - as you state, this is really an MSE problem.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 9th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    If I click through the MSE link it takes me to the cashback card on Barclaycard. So either the link has been fixed or your husband was offered an alternative card.

Even if the link was taking you to the non cashback card it should have been obvious you weren't applying for the cashback card.
    • SPANISH LADY
    • By SPANISH LADY 9th Apr 19, 11:58 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SPANISH LADY
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:58 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:58 AM
    my husband was not offered an alternative card Barclaycard has just told me the link was the error. so they must have fixed it. not much good to us now. and the word obvious is hardly the case or I Obviously wouldn't have applied!!
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 9th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    Nowhere on the normal Barclaycard Platinum Card page is there any mention of cashback
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 9th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    my husband was not offered an alternative card Barclaycard has just told me the link was the error. so they must have fixed it. not much good to us now. and the word obvious is hardly the case or I Obviously wouldn't have applied!!
    Originally posted by SPANISH LADY
    I have a vague recollection of the same thing happening a long time ago, Iíll see if I can find the thread. Basically you should never click through MSEís links as they are a third party and if you want to apply for something, apply directly on the cardís website. Nothing you can do about Iím afraid.

Nowhere on the normal Barclaycard Platinum Card page is there any mention of cashback
    Originally posted by BoGoF
    https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus

I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 10,350 Posts
    • 12,581 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    Basically you should never click through MSEís links as they are a third party and if you want to apply for something, apply directly on the cardís website. Nothing you can do about Iím afraid.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    Surely this advice is contrary to the MSE party line on affiliate links, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/moneysavingexpert-finance/:
    Unlike many sites that use affiliate links, from the very first time we used them we were always deliberate about including an * after every one (and we're pleased to see a few other sites starting to adopt this).

This is so you know which links contribute to the main site and which don't, so you can make your own decision. We hope you will choose the ones that help pay for the huge resource the main site offers.
    As well as the revenue generation aspects of MSE's affiliate links, there are often direct benefits for the consumer too, in the form of preferential perks, such as higher switching bonuses....
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 9th Apr 19, 2:56 PM
    • 3,165 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    Candyapple
    If I'm applying for a financial product, I'd rather 100% make sure I'm on the company's website directly than to make the same mistake the OP has. It's not a one-off either as I remember the same thing happening on another thread regarding an MSE link. It's up to other people to make up their own minds.

The preferential perks again it's down to the user to check whether they are actually clicking through to the right product.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Apr 19, 4:33 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Some affiliate links can stop working if you're using an ad-blocker or blocking certain cookies in your browser.

It's usually best to either disable these blocking features, or run your browser in private/incognito mode which also blocks any plugins and ad-blockers
    • SPANISH LADY
    • By SPANISH LADY 9th Apr 19, 6:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SPANISH LADY
    Thank you for your comments, it appears that i should have gone direct to the barclay site, which is more or less what they have told me, however it does have APPLY on the MSE site so I thought it prehaps the benefits of the card were tied up with MSE site. I have escalated my complaint and they are looking at it again. But it is a lesson in my opionion worth watching out for. it is the first time I have applied for anything financial
    directly the site and i did think it was also beneficial to MSE. The conversations I have had with Barclaycard they didnt seem that bothered that they were the number 1 card on the site for holiday use.
    thanks anyway
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 9th Apr 19, 7:12 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    Ben8282
    It is unfortunate that Barclaycard are being so unhelpful.
    In your case I would cancel he card. Do so in writing and make your reason for cancellation very clear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

637Posts Today

6,146Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin