barclaycard problem

Options
M husband who did not already have a barclaycard applied through the Money Saving Expert link for a Barclaycard Platinum Cash Back Plus mainly to use if necessary to obtain cash with no charge while abroad. He was issued with a Barclaycard Platinum which appears to offer him transfer benefits etc but not the specific card he had applied for. I already have the same Barclaycard . we currently use the Halifax clarity card but on seeing the benefits of this particular Barclaycard we decided to apply. we have complained to Barclaycard who have explained it is not their fault or responsibility as it is the
link to Money Saving Expert which has caused the problem and will not and cannot replace the supplied card for the one we want. This has no credit issues it is all to do with the link.
Our only option is to reapply after 6 months which will of course show up as a hard application on his credit history. which may not cause us problems (not looking for loans mortgages etc) but hardly fair. as a great follower of Martin Lewis I don't believe he would like this happening to his followers and Barclaycard have admitted they have had more than my complaint. I have pointed out to Barclaycard they are obviously receiving loads of business through this link and should be ensuring its correct but they say it not their fault that it is Money Saving Experts fault.
I am also unable to make my problem direct to Money Saving Expert as their email link is not working
I am disappointed.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You do realise the great Martin Lewis sold this site a good while back?
  • SPANISH_LADY
    Options
    yes of course
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our only option is to reapply after 6 months which will of course show up as a hard application on his credit history.
    Whilst I can understand your frustration, this won't cause you any detriment.

By the way, the title of your post is misleading - as you state, this is really an MSE problem.
  • BoGoF
    Options
    If I click through the MSE link it takes me to the cashback card on Barclaycard. So either the link has been fixed or your husband was offered an alternative card.

Even if the link was taking you to the non cashback card it should have been obvious you weren't applying for the cashback card.
  • SPANISH_LADY
    Options
    my husband was not offered an alternative card Barclaycard has just told me the link was the error. so they must have fixed it. not much good to us now. and the word obvious is hardly the case or I Obviously wouldn't have applied!!
  • BoGoF
    Options
    Nowhere on the normal Barclaycard Platinum Card page is there any mention of cashback
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    my husband was not offered an alternative card Barclaycard has just told me the link was the error. so they must have fixed it. not much good to us now. and the word obvious is hardly the case or I Obviously wouldn't have applied!!

I have a vague recollection of the same thing happening a long time ago, I’ll see if I can find the thread. Basically you should never click through MSE’s links as they are a third party and if you want to apply for something, apply directly on the card’s website. Nothing you can do about I’m afraid.
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Nowhere on the normal Barclaycard Platinum Card page is there any mention of cashback

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-cashback-plus

EZQZS33.png
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Basically you should never click through MSE’s links as they are a third party and if you want to apply for something, apply directly on the card’s website. Nothing you can do about I’m afraid.
    Surely this advice is contrary to the MSE party line on affiliate links, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/moneysavingexpert-finance/:
    Unlike many sites that use affiliate links, from the very first time we used them we were always deliberate about including an * after every one (and we're pleased to see a few other sites starting to adopt this).

This is so you know which links contribute to the main site and which don't, so you can make your own decision. We hope you will choose the ones that help pay for the huge resource the main site offers.
    As well as the revenue generation aspects of MSE's affiliate links, there are often direct benefits for the consumer too, in the form of preferential perks, such as higher switching bonuses....
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If I'm applying for a financial product, I'd rather 100% make sure I'm on the company's website directly than to make the same mistake the OP has. It's not a one-off either as I remember the same thing happening on another thread regarding an MSE link. It's up to other people to make up their own minds.

The preferential perks again it's down to the user to check whether they are actually clicking through to the right product.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Some affiliate links can stop working if you're using an ad-blocker or blocking certain cookies in your browser.

It's usually best to either disable these blocking features, or run your browser in private/incognito mode which also blocks any plugins and ad-blockers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure