PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    We weren’t very MSE last night as we had Chinese delivered :o but we ate only half - so Chinese again tonight. DH & DSis both had a main course & I had a starter for 2. However the plastic boxes come in useful for the freezer :T

Tomorrow I will do a small shop & we will have a salad - I have living lettuce to use:rotfl: with chicken & new potatoes. Need to pencil in a roast of some sort next week - otherwise my DSis will sulk :rotfl:

Nothing thrown away since I turned the fridge temperature to cold :rotfl: All my fruit - peaches, plums, cherries, pears & apples have been chopped & made into a fruit salad which DH & I have for breakfast with yoghurt. Yesterday, I made an apple & blackberry crumble which will be lovely with custard :)

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm enjoying the Aldi honeydew melons on offer atm. The weather's so glorious, I'd like to save the seeds next time and dry them out for my snack jar. Does anyone do this?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Someone on a foodie blog that I read advised putting a sheet of kitchen roll in the salad bag, placing the leaves back in on top loosely and then another sheet of paper, gently squeeze out the excess air and roll down and fasten the excess bag IYSWIM, The bag of mixed leaves that I bought Wednesday and opened was perfect yesterday and just a few left for lunch today.
    Much the same as this (which I've tried, and does work): http://showmethecurry.com/tips/stretching-the-shelf-life-of-a-strawberry-tip.html

But for individual baby spinach leaves? Life is just too short!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Bargain! Well done.

We don't have food waste collections either nor can we put glass in our recycling bins. It's supposed to go to the nearest bottle bank - not always ideal as ours isn't on a route we'd go on for anything else so it means a special trip. :(

That's why I don't buy them. We usually have little gem lettuces that last really well in the fridge and sometimes I can find packs that have one green and one red in them - nice for additional colour on the plate.

I must have been very efficient last week at using up all the fresh food stuff as, when I came to do my shopping list, it was nearly all for F&V and dairy. Now fully stocked up again and I also bagged a ys medium chicken for £2.44. :):) I cooked it as soon as I got it home and have portioned it all up this morning. I reckon it will do 3 meals for the two of us plus sandwiches and - of course - the obligatory chicken stock! :D Good job we like chicken. ;)
    I don't normally either, I usually either get little gem or romaine, but it depends what's available in the reduced aisle, and i guess buying them reduced isn't going to make it easier for me to keep them for ages!
    Moguline wrote: »
    I got:
    - 1 punnet of strawberries
    - 3 punnets of blackberries
    - 3 six packs of apples
    - 2 avocados
    - 1 bag of new potatoes
    - 1 bunch spring onions
    - 2 bags rocket
    - 1 pack little gem lettuce
    - 1 bunch of parsley
    - 1 packet broccoli rice
    - 5 packets of green beans
    - 5 packets of mango chunks
    - 1 packet of fruit salad
    - 1 packet prepared leeks
    - 1 packet stir fry veg
    - 1 ready made bistro salad
    - 1 packet of carrot sticks
    - 5 trays of mediterranean roast veg
    - 2 packets of choy sum

I paid £2.49. :rotfl:
    Feel like I've robbed the place!:T

Wow lucky you! :j:j Amazing :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Moguline wow what a great bargain, well done what a haul.I too would have been dancing out of the shop. I always head for the Y/s stuff first before anything else but I have found that often its the unexpected bargains that are really nice Dobbies reduced some nice bits now and again and I always check on their counters when I have been to coffee morning.A few weeks ago I snaffled a just over two and a half kilo gammon for £8.00 with almost no fat at all on it I took it home and cut in half then wrapped and its in DDs chest freezer thats about just under 6 lb of ham which will come with us on holiday and will do not only several meals for us all but left overs will go into sandwiches. (might even let the two small dogs have a few of the scraps as a treat :)

I will be going for my second food shop of the month probably on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, still eating my way through my freezer.I am out tonight to dinner and tomorrow I have a large lasagne to eat with my DGS as I am staying there tomorrow night as their parents are off to my DGS graduation overnight in Norwich, and Tuesday night its quiz night so I really don't have to cook at home until Wednesday. Food bill will be quite low this month I think.
    Have a good day chums and try to keep cool

JackieO xx
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all - i seem to have slipped with this thread (though not by wasting food, just not writing about it)

I am having half a pizza for lunch - we ate out on Friday and i could only manage half, so having the rest today with some salad. i am eating alone tonight so am having leftovers from last night for that. So only some tomatoes to buy today to go in the salad.

I have two tins of out of date condensed milk in the cupboard. Any suggestions?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,129 Forumite
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I have two tins of out of date condensed milk in the cupboard. Any suggestions?

If you want a quick easy dessert there is a key lime pie recipe on the carnation website just google carnation key lime pie. It's just a biscuit base (I use ginger) then you whisk the condensed milk and 300ml of cream with juice and zest of 5 limes it thickens and sets really quickly. Works with lemons to although you may only need 4.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    If you want a quick easy dessert there is a key lime pie recipe on the carnation website just google carnation key lime pie. It's just a biscuit base (I use ginger) then you whisk the condensed milk and 300ml of cream with juice and zest of 5 limes it thickens and sets really quickly. Works with lemons to although you may only need 4.

ooh thanks. the MiL is coming next week and she loves key lime pie, i'll give it a whirl.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've just been up the garden and picked the blackberries, they're ripening at just the right pace to give us a bowl each for pudding every day. I picked sungold tomatoes from the greenhouse too and came back in feeling baked again. Going to make a nice pot of tea in a minute and sit in the shade on the patio to enjoy it!
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I haven't stopped all weekend. The plum tree in our garden has been dripping in plums so over the last week we have been picking them and then this weekend I had to deal with them so I now have:
    4 jars compote
    1 litre bottle plum dipping sauce
    5 jars spiced plum chutney
    8 jars plum jam
    2 jars brandied plums
    Was regretting it half way through making the jam as the weather was so hot but thank God it's all done now. Just had some of the compote with cold custard for pudding which was a nice reward. Phew!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback