Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 16,929Posts
    • 144,933Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 9:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 82
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 16th May 19, 6:11 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    TCAL Why not grow a small box of mustard and cress on a window sill easy to do and get in a salad or sandwich,if you have children they love to see stuff grow they can eat.then progress to perhaps a tomato plant
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Hi JackieO,
    I wish I could turn the clock back and my daughters were little again

We've recently moved house and I have a garden that backs on to woods and I love that However, the garden has false grass !!! It looks green all the time and low maintenance but I do miss grass and colour in the garden - the border is stones Maybe a job for the future - so I would have to take a leaf out of your book and grow in pots or on the windows sill... I do have a conservatory but I find this really cold in the winter.

I think I will look out then for mustard cress or even tomatoes... I'll let you know how I get on !
    Emergency Fund:£0/£500 -

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400 Overdraft - £1700 Phone - £360 Loan - £2109 Provident - £1760 MBNA - £8000
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 16th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    So quite a few of us on this forum "grow their own".... I need to have a go

I used up my chilli this week which was my first attempt at batch cooking and i was so grateful that all I had to do was warm it up (once defrosted) and boil some rice. I will definately batch cook more of this... definately a contender ( I need to grow my own chillis )

I've stuck to the meal plan this week and hopefully I can plan next week tonight so that I can hopefully go the shops after work tomorrow. I would like to get into this routine but sometimes the shops dont have the stock Friday evenings. I'm actually at an engagement saturday and want to enjoy the afternoon and evening celebrations.

xx

Debts paid off
    Loan - £1400 Overdraft - £1700 Phone - £360 Loan - £2109 Provident - £1760 MBNA - £8000
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th May 19, 8:31 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    Brambling
    I used up my chilli this week which was my first attempt at batch cooking and i was so grateful that all I had to do was warm it up (once defrosted) and boil some rice. I will definately batch cook more of this... definately a contender ( I need to grow my own chillis ) .
    Originally posted by takingcontrolatlast
    I freeze my chilli with rice you just need to cool and freeze the rice as quick as possible. Chillis are easy to grow and freeze well, I'm using last years crop still.

You can grow most salad type leaves, spinach, chard, radish, beetroot etc really easy in pots. It's great to pop out in the morning and pick lunch . If you like herbs most do well in pots and parsley grows well from seed. This time of the year you can plant straight out in the garden in the pots and they should start to sprout really quickly. Go to Wilkos or £land buy their cheaper seeds and pots
    • Robthemog
    • By Robthemog 17th May 19, 6:18 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Robthemog
    I've been lurking on these pages for years and can't find the tutorials on how to post so I hope this ends up in the right place! Ref Brambling's post about growing salad leaves and herbs etc from seed - another idea is - if you buy one of those pots of living salad leaves from the supermarket and plant them in a bigger pot, or the garden, (space plants a little apart) they will grow on for ages. Also if you buy a pot of ready grown parsley and plant it out rather than keep it in the little pot, that will last for ages too
    £2 Savers Club 2018 No 18
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 17th May 19, 6:47 AM
    • 7,027 Posts
    • 50,625 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've been lurking on these pages for years and can't find the tutorials on how to post so I hope this ends up in the right place! Ref Brambling's post about growing salad leaves and herbs etc from seed - another idea is - if you buy one of those pots of living salad leaves from the supermarket and plant them in a bigger pot, or the garden, (space plants a little apart) they will grow on for ages. Also if you buy a pot of ready grown parsley and plant it out rather than keep it in the little pot, that will last for ages too
    Originally posted by Robthemog
    I do that with coriander and basil.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th May 19, 2:50 PM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had a great crop of chives from a few seeds in a pot last year and when I harvested them I diced up and froze them and have used them all through the winter in soups and stews and fish dishes.Really easy to grow ,virtually onion flavoured grass
    I bought my DD a tiny Jalapeno seeding before Easter when we were at the Chilli farm on the IoW. She has nurtured it on her windowsill in the dining room and this afternoon I noticed there are five tiny jalapenos just starting to grow, with luck they will mature over the coming nice weather.

I have a couple of potted tomato plants on the patio that I have been bringing along, they are quite sheltered from the spring winds so hopefully I will get a good few off of them in the coming months They have to go into bigger pots this weeked.

Not a huge amount but to me as the saying goes every little helps
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 19th May 19, 8:57 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I freeze my chilli with rice you just need to cool and freeze the rice as quick as possible. Chillis are easy to grow and freeze well, I'm using last years crop still.

You can grow most salad type leaves, spinach, chard, radish, beetroot etc really easy in pots. It's great to pop out in the morning and pick lunch . If you like herbs most do well in pots and parsley grows well from seed. This time of the year you can plant straight out in the garden in the pots and they should start to sprout really quickly. Go to Wilkos or £land buy their cheaper seeds and pots
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Thanks for the tips and advice Brambling. I think I will have a go ... it can be my summer project

Debts paid off
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 19th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Originally posted by Robthemog
    Oh yes.. I would have not thought of that ! ... Sometimes they're on offer as well ... my fingers are turning green

Debts paid off
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 21st May 19, 1:20 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 22,556 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    As my last soup was successful, I have just made another one using fresh los from the Sunday roast dinner & various lo gravies & veg from the freezer. Will do for at least 2 days lunches for DH & I
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 21st May 19, 1:37 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    I'm actually really enjoying not shopping and using up what we have in the house. It's surprising what you can make from all the odds and ends and how tasty everything is. On Sunday for breakfast I used up all the odd slices of bread crusts I had saved in the freezer. I used it to make French toast which we had with sliced banana and maple syrup. It was absolutely delicious. I made a batch of white chocolate and cranberry cookies which were a definite hit with the little ones. Really hoping I can make it to the end of the month now with just some bread and milk to buy.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 21st May 19, 2:33 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    s_glover
    Oh yes.. I would have not thought of that ! ... Sometimes they're on offer as well ... my fingers are turning green
    Originally posted by takingcontrolatlast
    We do this too. Currently have basil growing really well on the windowsill which we've had over 6 weeks. parsley as well but this isn't doing quite so well, mostly because I harvested most of it!
    A couple of weeks back we bought some living salad, once we had cut it all I placed the tray in the cold frame ad I noticed this morning that it's starting to grow back
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th May 19, 2:00 PM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    As i very rarely eat bread (certainly never buy it ) I find rice crackers a good substitute. I had a banana that was definitely past its best and I am not mad keen on banana cake/muffins so as the banana was going soft I decided I would just flatten it out and cover three rice cakes with it and drizzled a tiny bit of honey over it with a dash of grated cinnamon ,it was surprisingly tasty, and made a nice change at lunchtime and I had a diced up apple to follow so two at least of my five /seven a day
    Much better than binning it and I had a lush treat which cost very little
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 24th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 22,556 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Had the last of the hm soup today - it had matured nicely & was very tasty with some hm focaccia
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 25th May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    I'm not having much luck...

Yesterday was a horrible day for me at work and I couldnt wait to get home. I tried to take my mind off everything and de-stress by baking.

I thought I will use items I have in and the bananas were going brown and so I'd make a banana loaf. I got to the stage where I was to pour into the tin and thought the mixture didnt look right... I'd only put 2TBS of baking powder in and not 2tsp as I'd read the receipe wrong - so in the bin it went (I'd googled my error and too much can cause upset stomach and diarrohea). What a total waste

Anyway today is a new day!

I'm not planning on any shopping this weekend as hope to use what food I have in already.

I know today's delight is sausage casserole and that's as far as I have got. Going to have my 2nd coffee of the morning and then attack the kitchen (clean the oven is on my hit list) and then meal plan for the weekend and see how far I can get in the week with what is in the freezer/cupboards (may have to shop once payday comes in for top ups).

I'm really keen to buy some tomato plants for my first attempt at "growing my own" - not sure where to buy these... garden centre, supermarkets.. I'll have a shop around.

Enjoy the bank holiday everyone x

(P.S. - I love this forum - it's the only one I've stuck with and I dont feel stupid asking such basic questions like how do you freeze x, y and z etc - I'm learning so much - thank you)
    Last edited by takingcontrolatlast; 25-05-2019 at 9:40 AM.

Debts paid off
    • marns
    • By marns 27th May 19, 7:03 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    marns
    [QUOTE=takingcontrolatlast;75850562]

I'm really keen to buy some tomato plants for my first attempt at "growing my own" - not sure where to buy these... garden centre, supermarkets.. I'll have a shop around.

If you want established plants you'll get more variety at a garden centre but Soooo expensive, check if you have any plant nursery's near by and check if you have any friends, family etc that grow their own....Most over sow and have to thin out anyway so they will be happy to save you some seedlings. Wilko often have tomato plants in which are a bit cheaper.

There's a guy who sells established plants at my local car boot too, he's obviously limited as to what he can get in his car so even if he dosn't have any, if you ask he might bring some next week. Also local allotments sometimes have table top sales of excess plants, look for notices in shops and bus shelters, or just ask around.

Top tip...you'l see a lot called 'Money Maker', avoid it....Produces lots of fruit but they are bland tasteless things.

Why not grow from seed tho, they germinate quickly and easily. You can get a pack with 6 different variety's for the price of one established plant and I have used left over seeds the following year with no problems...although they don't keep forever.

If you have some particularly nice toms you can save some seed. Just spread some out on some kitchen roll and leave on the window sill to dry out. Commercial seeds are treated with chemicals to preserve their shelf life so if you want to save any pop them in a zippy bag in the freezer. I use small envelops so I can write the variety on and put them all in one bag other wise they are lost in the frozen depths forever!

Good luck whatever you try, and welcome!
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 27th May 19, 8:18 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    Thanks Marns - that's a really helpful post - and i'll avoid "money maker"

There are a few options in your post to choose from - I do know a colleague or 2 that have allotments and I will ask them as you suggested. I would love to be able to grow from seedling as I would then I suspect feel the most achievement. I did look at packet seeds in B*M yesterday - think they were £2 something for one packet so I thought I would shop around first - never thought of asking anyone!

I do have a mint plant that I picked up yesterday (50p) but I just don't know what to do with it tbh - any ideas on

1. How to use the leaves either in receipes or do i freeze them?
    2. Do I just replant it - would a container be ok rather than in the garden (currently have artificial grass that came with the house and which I'm wanting to get rid of but DH says no atm).

I did pop the shops yesterday and on offer were punnets of blackberries for 9p !! I picked up 10 punnets of them and have frozen them - it was funny really as in my excitement I had put them all in a baggy to freeze and DH said you should have just left them in the punnets and freeze them individually to take out for work - so I then had to put them back in the punnets and wrap and freeze - but im sure I could have just taken out what I needed from the big zippy bag - but rolled with it

x

Debts paid off
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 27th May 19, 8:57 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    Brambling
    TCL - mint is best kept in containers as it spreads and you're never get rid of it . I usually pick and chop when required rather than freezing but I don't use a lot of it in my cooking. You can add it to things like tabbouleh, make your own mint tea or mint sauce (which my mum alway did) or add to a jug of Pimms

Good deal on the blackberries, I usually freeze berries flat and store in a ziplock bag that stops them from sticking together in one clump, you can take out how many you need and they take up less space than the containers
    • takingcontrolatlast
    • By takingcontrolatlast 27th May 19, 10:13 AM
    • 658 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    takingcontrolatlast
    TCL - mint is best kept in containers as it spreads and you're never get rid of it . I usually pick and chop when required rather than freezing but I don't use a lot of it in my cooking. You can add it to things like tabbouleh, make your own mint tea or mint sauce (which my mum alway did) or add to a jug of Pimms

Good deal on the blackberries, I usually freeze berries flat and store in a ziplock bag that stops them from sticking together in one clump, you can take out how many you need and they take up less space than the containers
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'm feeling the Pimms

Cheers - I'll do that next time with the fruit - not sure I'll get a good a bargain as that again though

Debts paid off
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th May 19, 12:50 PM
    • 16,929 Posts
    • 144,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    I look forward to the autumn when the blackberries are around and my DGS and I go foraging .Also I have a friend who always donates a bag of apples from her tree as she always has too many and I peel slice and cook in honey and a dash of lemon and once cold freeze in portions to use during the winter in crumbles and pies etc.I am all for a bit of foraging I used up my bendy carrots and made enough soup for lunches this week, with some ground coriander and a couple of diced up sprouty spuds. Finished the last of my y/s large mushrooms. In my veggies I have a head of celery,a bunch of spring onions a sweetheart cabbage 1 kilo of salad spuds, 5 tomatoes, two thirds of a cucumber, a red pepper, half an iceberg lettuce and 6 sweet potatoes more than enough for this week and no shopping to buy at all.I shall be eating stuff from my freezer and cupboards and will work the fresh veg into the menu Found a jar of strawberry jam with champagne at the back of the cupboard this morning that I was given last year, I will make a sponge cake to use some of it up tomorrow for my hollow-legged grandsons who are all at home for half term.They are like locusts. One of them, Henry, has just made himself a really nice lunch from odds and ends he found in the fridge
    He boiled up some spaghetti, and diced a bit of left over chicken a slice of ham and some cold cooked streaky bacon and tossed it into the cooked spaghetti with some grated cheese and a healthy dollop of tomato ketchup and it looked really nice He is off to Essex Uni in September so I know he won't starve . Bless him he was so pleased that he had used up the bits and pieces in his 'Spaghetti Henry' and even his three brothers looked a bit enviously at his meal . Henry is very much like me and hates waste and has become quite interested in the LFHW campaign. I shall miss him when he flies the nest as he also makes a darned good cuppa

Tonight I am at quiz night at the pub so no cooking for me as I get fed there.

Nice to see how everyone is streetching their bits and pieces out

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 28th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I’ve been wasting far too much food lately so I’m back on my ‘zero waste’ mission! I’m combining it with my ‘10 fruit & veg a day’ challenge & so far my creative use-ups this week have been:

- sweet potato, coconut & chilli soup
    - “carrot cake” overnight oats (oats, HM oat milk, grated carrot, raisins, maple syrup, vanilla essence & mixed seeds)
    - kiwi, strawberry, lemon & pea shoot smoothie
    - kiwi, plum, pomegranate, pea shoot & yoghurt smoothie
    - Banana loaf
    - Broccoli, green bean, butternut squash, tomato, mushroom, leek & spring onion miso stir fry

... my only fail so far has been trying to use leftover cream to make fudge - it hasn’t set
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

861Posts Today

7,375Users online

Martin's Twitter