ZC's Aim for a little independence

Options

Comments

• zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right. This is ridiculous. I've had this cold for two weeks now and it's really grinding me down. What can I do to get rid? I think it might have moved onto sinusitis.

Had to pop into a few shops today and bought wrapping paper and birthday cards. All def needed. If I wasn't using martins money mantra today I would also have bought:
    Socks for the children
    2 outfits for ds
    Pjs for me
    Xmas gifts for children

As I don't "need" any of them I came back with nada. Well, I spent £5 on a cheap ring but I've been meaning to do that for ages. I fiddle with my rings a lot and I don't want to lose my wedding ring!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    And this morning I've lost the ring!!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Evening all.

Quite a low spend weekend here. Resisted the lure of a meal out today and had a homemade curry instead. Feel healthier for it and didn't spend £60 odd quid.

I've been thinking a lot about how consumer driven we are. I keep thinking I could spend the £131 a month overpaying and have nicer clothes or more spa treatments or buy the kids fancier clothes. But none of those things make me happy. I had a Boden voucher for £10 off a £30 spend today. In the past I'd have just bought something as it was a good deal but as my kids don't need anything it went in the bin.

We've had two kids parties this weekend. Neither of them were particularly overboard but they must have cost £400 when you add hall hire, fancy cake,
    Face painter and bouncy castle. I'm now feeling guiltu that ds is only having grandparents for a tea party on his birthday next week. We will do one big party for reception year like we did for his sister but I just don't think It's worth it.

About to light the fire and stick a film on!
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hello all.

So even with just grandparents for a tea party it's costing £50 for DS's birthday. That's just for a cake and a nice sandwich tea. I don't resent spending it at all it's just quite surprising how children drain money from you!

So my regular saver matured with £80 interest paid which I'm chuffed about. I've opened up another straight away. That's like a days work for me for just setting up an account to dripfeed in money I save for stuff throughout the year.

Had a lovely day trip yesterday to our local cathedral. Loads to do for the children and all free. Had lunch at Wildwood with a 30% off voucher which was a bit of a treat.

Hopefully it should be a low spend weekend. I need to get back out running and try and tidy up the garden. Then it's getting ready for back to school next week.

Have a good weekend all.
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hello all.
    So it's aaaaggggeeees since I've posted on here. Things are going well. I've managed to save up £1000 to put into the mortgage. I haven't actually rang up and done it yet but it's sitting there waiting to go.

The hesitation is that at the moment we are having a bit of a tough time. Family member is ill, DS is struggling at school and work is beyond hectic. When work is this tough we'd normally have a holiday. However, we are borrowing a lot to expand at the moment so our family financial mindset is to pay that back asap and not to have holidays etc whilst that is tough. 2-3 years should be enough before we change that. So my 1k is like my little back up for if things get too much we can have a weekend away or a few meals our or pay for a gardener. We're coping at the moment without it but we'll see.

On the bright side I have got a new car! My old one died so I had to get a new one. I've gone small so I can park in the school car park - a Ford Fiesta. I LOVE it. Have spent a fortune buying rubber mats and car seat covers but think that's worth it in the long run.

How is everyone?
  • Miss_Money_Magnet
    Options
    Well done on your achievements so far! You are doing really well
    "Never underestimate the power of small amounts"
    New Mortgage started March 17 £236,000 (28 years) NOW £231,500 March 3 18. 68% LTV. £221,100 Aug 19 £210,000 Jan 2020 £206000 April 2020 £204000 May £202,997, Aug 20 £199,554, Dec 20 £196,629 June 21 £185,200
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Hello all.
    I'm going to try and get into the habit of posting here again more often.

Stressful day at work today but didn't succumb to the 3pm dominos offer text!! Made the Pinch of Nom Cuban Beef. It was delicious, easy and healthy. Bunged all the ingredients in last night and whacked in the slow cooker this morning.

Dd is doing All stars cricket tonight which she loves. £40 for 10 weeks - bargain.

Also trying to lose half a stone so I fit into all my summer clothes. Have done mfp today & kept within Calories.

Should be a cheap weekend. DD has a party, it's the school fair and I have a friends birthday tomorrow night. It's drinks at their house and I already have a bottle to bring!

Sunday will just be Church & pottering in the garden hopefully.

Have a good weekend all
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Evening all.

So DD loves All Stars. I'm so impressed with how it's run.

Saturday night I forgot the bottle I already had so had to do an expensive M&S pit stop for wine & card which is a bit annoying.

Lovely day today just pootling about getting the garden today.

Had PinCh of Nom chicken parmigiana. Absolute family winner that will be making a regular appearance chez
    ZC I think!!

Will be a tight 12 days now. I have £76 in the grocery budget to last. I really don't want to have to steal from another ynab category so will be eeeeeking the freezer as much as I can. We also have 4 days away in our caravan which will add to the challenge!

Have a good week all.
  • mumof3.12kindebt
    mumof3.12kindebt Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on everything you have achieved so far.
    Will be following your diary
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
  • zcrat41
    Options
    Morning all. So ended up rejigging the budget as was struggling to do a shop for £76 for 10 days. We haven't rated out at all this month so I moved half the money to grocery meaning the grocery budget was looking
    A little healthier!

Just looking at reading books for dd over the summer. Anyone know a cheap wash of getting oxford reading tree level 7's? They're £45 for 6 on amazon! We will be going to the library weekly but we're in such a good routine with reading a book a day from school I really want to carry that on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback