Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 16th May 19, 5:15 AM
    • 449Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Supatramp
    Roaming
    • 16th May 19, 5:15 AM
    Roaming 16th May 19 at 5:15 AM
    Going on holiday in Europe for the first time in years, so roaming will be a new experience.

Does the phone come up with a list of local suppliers, or is it just the one, and does it work seamlessly? I'm with Virgin.
    David.
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    I'm with Three and roam in Europe a lot. Assuming Virgin are the same, it "just works". Once you arrive and turn off "Airplane mode" you will receive a text message with advice on call charges, etc. There is no need to mess with network settings.

If travelling by ferry, be aware that ferry operators use satellite linked pico sites on board. The cost of making a call via them is huge... Turn off your phone or set it to Airplane mode on ferries, including those between the UK and Ireland.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 16th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:50 AM
    Your phone will be set to 'automatic network selection' by default, so when roaming it just selects the permitted network with the best signal, no need to do anything.

Be careful if you happen to go near a border with a non-European country such as North Cyprus or turkey, where you might automatically connect to one of their networks at huge cost. It can be avoided when there by switching to manual network selection in settings and choosing an in-country network.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 16th May 19, 3:14 PM
    Should be seamless, but it can sometimes take 10 to 15 minutes to find a network the first time the phone comes on. After that it should work fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin