Severn Trent charging me for property I haven't been at for nearly three years.

Options
Hi I have recently received a bill for a property I left September 2016 to go to university, dated up until May 2018.

After a somewhat pointless back and forth they are expecting me to magic up a final bill I never received from a utility supplier. (Was only on electric)

I'm not sure the best way to approach this, i'm certainly not paying for someone else''s water bill and they are saying they won't except tenancy agreements etc. from the university as proof I haven't been at the property.

At a loss for what to do, how do I even find out who my supplier was I was on a prepayment electric meter and I can't remember ever getting a bill, let alone a "final bill".

This is stressing me out to no end, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am assuming you told them at the time when you moved out?
  • TonyPony
    TonyPony Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't aware I had to as I have never had to before, as I have always been in supported housing due to a disability and everything like that was dealt with by the landlord.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And how did they know where to send the bill?
  • TonyPony
    Options
    I'm not actually sure, as I have lived in three different halls of residence for the past two years. Was sofa surfing from September and have recently just started claiming Universal credit.

The bill was sent to what I was using as a postal address whilst I was sofa surfing.

So universal credit perhaps ?

I know the landlord moved someone into the old property a week after I had moved out as it was the sister of a friend. Surely they know someone else has moved into the property ?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    TonyPony wrote: »

I know the landlord moved someone into the old property a week after I had moved out as it was the sister of a friend. Surely they know someone else has moved into the property ?

Unless the water company are told when an occupant moves in, and moves out, they do not know.

Not only did you not tell them you moved out in Sept 2016, it would appear that the 'sister of a friend' didn't tell them she had moved in the property.

Why not start by giving the water company the landlord's details, together with the name of the friend's sister who occupied the property after you moved out. Or contact him yourself.

If you never had a bill, presumably you never paid for water for your period in occupation.

The tone of your post implies the water company are at fault, when the blame lies with the landlord/tenants(including yourself). If the debt is passed to a Debt Collection Agency they will take the line that it is your debt unless you prove otherwise.
  • TonyPony
    Options
    I received water bills and it was arranged to be taken directly out of my disability benefit so I didn't have to worry about paying it, because I'm not that good with them sorts of things so that was the easiest option.

Sorry if the tone seems that way, as far as I was aware I had the support in place so I wouldn't have to worry about these things as my disability requires. But it would seem this was over looked by said people and they have failed me.

No wonder disabled people are offing themselves when they can't even rely on the support given. But that's going off topic.

Guess it''s just an expensive lesson and another notch in the depression post.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am not saying you should pay a bill up to May 2018 when you moved out in September 2016. However it is not unreasonable that the water company need some sort of proof that you did leave the property in Sept 2016.

Surely it is logical that the Landlord can verify when you left. Also the people who arrange that 'support for you is in place' could also provide that information. Get social services involved; also don't most universities have a a section or Students Union that could help?
  • TonyPony
    Options
    Sorry im getting flusterd with it all, I agree it is perfectly reasonable to want proof I moved out of the property at that date.

What i'm finding unreasonable is they want one specific piece of proof or 'final bill' and only that will do for some reason, even though I have more than enough evidence to show I moved the other side of the country, let alone just moved out.

I will try get hold of my landlord I guess and start from there. So much stress.

Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport