Homeless, Jobless & 2 Children

Options
So 2 years back I had to move back in with my mum and her partner, during this time my ex was expecting our second child. I was working fulltime in a dead end retail job (which I hated). My mum and my current GF suggested that I went back to university and worked towards a career that I wanted. I quick my job and started full-time education, I was looking for a part-time job that fitted around seeing my schedule kids and uni.

Last Friday my mum's partner told my mum that he wants me out of the house. I've left and currently staying over at my GF's. I have no money in my account (had to fix, MOT, insure my car). I have nowhere to bring my kids on the weekends I have them plus its summer holidays and I have them a week on/off.

I've considered dropping out of uni and going back to a fulltime job just to try to make ends meet, but even if I do that I could never afford a flat/apartment big enough for 2 kids. I don't know what to do

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Can you get temporary work for the summer holidays and see the kids over the weekend. If your girlfriend could let you stay until September you would build upto £3k and then rent a 2 bed place possibly, topping it up with the £3k?
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Have you approached your university and asked if they can assist at all? Some can lend funds or at least you advice of any grants you may be able to apply for. Have you got a student loan to fund your studies? Maybe call them and say your circs have changed and you now need to rent somewhere and see if you can get more, although renew time is here anyway. If you don;t have a student loan... get one!

Why has your Mums partner said he wants you to leave? Is it something that you could work out and move back in?

How far into your studies are you? It would be a shame to drop out as you are then no closer in being able to work in a job you enjoy, and of course have wasted the time and energy you have put into it so far. This needs to be the absolute last option. It will be hard to make it through, but it will be worth it!
  • Arrius
    Arrius Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    That is such an unfortunate situation you are in. I have a small child and I can't even imagine what you are going through right now.

Have you tried getting a loan from a bank? You may be able to get a decent amount of loan with long-term payments that can help you until you graduate and get a decent job.
    You can also ask a friend that is financially stable for a long-term loan, I seriously hope there is someone like that in your life that can help you out. You have no idea how sad I am about your situation.

What your mother did was incredibly !!!!!! btw, I may understand not caring for a child that is an adult but kicking out your grandchildren? My mother would sooner die than letting her grandchildren live out on the streets. Some families are just terrible.
  • Grezz24
    Grezz24 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Arrius wrote: »

Have you tried getting a loan from a bank? You may be able to get a decent amount of loan with long-term payments that can help you until you graduate and get a decent job.

I cant stress how bad an idea that is. If you are luck enough to find a bank willing to loan to you without a job how would you pay it back? Id strongly advice against taking any debt on that you dont have the means to pay.

Id suggest speaking with your GF about moving in with her and providing her with money towards the upkeep of her home as and when you can (evening / weekend job etc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure