Booking myself in for an independent future

Options

Comments

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Have signed up for a new bank account with HSBC for the £150 switch money.

I know I should make it an OP but instead am going to buy plane tickets to go on a European city break with current beau.

Am in the middle of applying for another new job this evening, that would potentially be a pay cut BUT my commute costs would half as would my travel time!
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £9,650 (April 2024) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,298 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have signed up for a new bank account with HSBC for the £150 switch money.

I know I should make it an OP but instead am going to buy plane tickets to go on a European city break with current beau.

Am in the middle of applying for another new job this evening, that would potentially be a pay cut BUT my commute costs would half as would my travel time!

Which would be great :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hopefully it's not as terrifying as the connecting walls in Only Connect!

Sometimes it's not all about money, it's about balance of life and a shorter commute is invaluable.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hello and welcome

Having read the thread I won't now comment on spending about 15% of your take home pay on commuting :eek: Not to mention 4 more hours a day travelling :eek::eek:

I bet you could half your grocery spends if you planned your meals and cooked a bit from scratch. Fingers crossed for the job hunt. I'm sure it's an appalling suggestion, but would you consider leaving London? Would your job area enable it? Just a thought.

Hope you enjoy the European city break with current OH

Bexster :)
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Hello and welcome

Fingers crossed for the job hunt. I'm sure it's an appalling suggestion, but would you consider leaving London? Would your job area enable it? Just a thought.

Bexster :)

Hi Bex,

I am not sure I would ever leave London, it is where my friends and family are, and I am very much a city girl. Plus job wise there is only one of my role per university and there are lots of universities in London

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning, cutting back a bit on grocery spends in definatly possible however cutting back on clothing would probably be easier :D

My dh (also visits the hol regualrly!) and had lunch with the queen and DOE a couple of years ago, he wore his primark suit, much to the disgust of my parents :rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry I digress, do you shop in tk Max's at all as they have some massive discounts if you have time to spend wading through everything. I picked up a lovely floor length dress last year £180 reduced to £30 something.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • blocpartyfan
    Options
    Hello,

After reading for a while now I have decided to start a diary to keep track of what I am doing.

Background

I waste A LOT of money on food, this is the easiest one I can improve on

Hi BookmobileBadGirl!

I'm in East London too and do exactly the same, with such ease. I get a lot of pleasure from eating out - there's so much choice and excitement in it!

You're journey is fab - good on you for prioritising your finances when you could be getting up to all sorts of fun! Hahaha :rotfl:
    Mortgage when started:
    Jan 2013: £200,999; 2nd Jan 2018: £137,500; 2nd Jan 2019: £119,000; 2nd Jan 2020: £98,800; 22nd May 2020: £81,000; 27th July 2020: £71,500
    Mortgage free day planned for: [STRIKE]25th June 2025 (day before my 40th birthday!)[/STRIKE] 31st December 2021
    [/STRIKE] 31st January 2022
    Mortgage free: 2nd June 2021!!!!!!
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    PAY DAY

Last pay package with my acting up allowance so need to start being good about not spending again. A few days back at my parents for Easter will help with NSD

OP in the first three months of 2018 = £639.72

Idiot move of the first three months = booking the wrong date for a romantic hotel night away with beau at the weekend so had to pay the difference at the hotel

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Been at my parents for a couple of days so finally achieved a NSD on Friday, AND got given an Easter egg so do not need to buy one for myself now.

Booked return flights for city break, they were £97 which is more than I usually spend on flights but will be worth it.

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Not the best start to April for me, picked up a stomach bug from my niece whilst at my parents so haven't left the house for days.
    One upside is that the only money I have spent in the last few days has been this morning on tickets to Swan Lake at the ROH. As I am still a student there I got stalls tickets for £25!

My current account switched to HSBC today for the £150 switch money. My goal for today is to make it to the cash point beneath my building to change the PIN.

TT £22.20 this morning

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family