We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Typical cost to install garden fence

Options
Zither
Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Afternoon,

I want to replace the fence between me any my neighbour’s house. I’m just interested in a simple 5 or 6 ft closed board fence (the type with a little cm gap between each board). Wooden fence posts should be fine.

I haven’t measure it exactly but I think I’m looking at about 10 meters of fence.

So I’m just after a ballpark figure to see what I can afford....

1) is the old average of around £50 per 6 feet/2 meters still true? So I’d be looking at about £500 for the fence (labour and materials)? I live in the north of England.

2) I could probably build the fence myself but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to do it so should I hire either a) a fencing company or b) just a local handyman to come and install?

Thanks a lot

Z

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    Comments from the south of England also welcomed..
  • Zither
    Options
    Comments from the south of England also welcomed..

Comments welcome from all over! Just mentioned the north as everything in the south seems to cost hundreds more :beer:
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    For a decent quality close board panel, concrete posts and gravel boards I think you’re looking closer to £40-50 per bay in materials and here in Essex based on the quotes I had when we had ours replaced, around £60-70 per bay in labour, so a minimum of £100 per bay.

We had 16 and a half bays replaced between my neighbour and I, plus a small corner return to the back of my garage at the end and a small infill panel at the house end, for just over £2000.

The extra cost in our case was due to the labour involved in removing part of our old fence, half of which was panels fixed to scaffold poles set in concrete sitting on a dwarf wall plus the extra waste removal. The poles had to be cut out and some of the dwarf wall footings excavated.
  • Zither
    Options
    For a decent quality close board panel, concrete posts and gravel boards I think you’re looking closer to £40-50 per bay in materials and here in Essex based on the quotes I had when we had ours replaced, around £60-70 per bay in labour, so a minimum of £100 per bay.

We had 16 and a half bays replaced between my neighbour and I, plus a small corner return to the back of my garage at the end and a small infill panel at the house end, for just over £2000.

The extra cost in our case was due to the labour involved in removing part of our old fence, half of which was panels fixed to scaffold poles set in concrete sitting on a dwarf wall plus the extra waste removal. The poles had to be cut out and some of the dwarf wall footings excavated.

Thanks for the info. Wow so expensive isn’t it... I’m hoping for a price nearer £500! Otherwise I might have to learn how to fence quite quickly!! I’m hoping the cost of basic treated timer and labour is a little bit cheaper up north...
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Zither wrote: »
    Comments welcome from all over! Just mentioned the north as everything in the south seems to cost hundreds more :beer:
    Tell me about it!:)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get a few quotes from local fencing companies,do not always go for the cheapest.Without going into detail where in the North do you live ( i might have a contact for you )
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Zither
    Options
    Tell me about it!:)

At least you get some of it back in infinitely better infrastructure - so not all bad! :)
  • Zither
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Get a few quotes from local fencing companies,do not always go for the cheapest.Without going into detail where in the North do you live ( i might have a contact for you )

Not far from your neck of the woods! Totally understand not going for the cheapest - No problem paying for good work - just more hoping for nearer £500 than 1k! :)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zither wrote: »
    Not far from your neck of the woods! Totally understand not going for the cheapest - No problem paying for good work - just more hoping for nearer £500 than 1k! :)

Send me a private message and i will give you a phone number for a reputable fencing contractor that is reasonable.:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could expect 300 materials and two man-days labour, so maybe 700 plus profit and vat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure