Codicil advice please???

Options

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not melodramatic at all when you see the pain this can cause your nearest and dearest. If neither of them have wills who gets what depends on who dies first, and only a fool would do this. Although I suspect step mum has hers in place.

It is also not putting their own children first, it’s a matter of not disinheiting your own children through stupidity. If you want step children to inherit some of your estate then put it in your will.

'Desaster' (sic) is overstating the case - it might in fact be what the father wants. He's had plenty of time in the past to write a will ensuring his children inherit if that was what he intended.

Look at it from the 'step monster' point of view: maybe she just sees this as children from a previous marriage doing their utmost to oust her, not least from her marital home? This post was all about how to make sure OP and siblings get their hands on a share of the spoils. There are two sides to every story - sometimes more.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    'Desaster' (sic) is overstating the case - it might in fact be what the father wants. He's had plenty of time in the past to write a will ensuring his children inherit if that was what he intended.

Look at it from the 'step monster' point of view: maybe she just sees this as children from a previous marriage doing their utmost to oust her, not least from her marital home? This post was all about how to make sure OP and siblings get their hands on a share of the spoils. There are two sides to every story - sometimes more.

Are you really suggesting someone would wish to have their estate eventually end up with their own children or their step children purely based on who died first? I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2019 at 12:43AM
    Options
    Your dad needs to see a solicitor if he wants to amend his existing will or draw up another. Could he contact whoever did the current will?
    You can't just write something and get him to sign it - you don't seem to have enough clear information about the current will and house ownership, plus you risk it being challenged for duress, lack of capacity, etc.

As for two sides to every story, maybe the "step-monster" is protecting your father from being harassed by his children about money when he's too unwell to want to have to deal with it. Or that could at least be how she sees it, amongst all the family dynamics clearly going on here.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 February 2019 at 7:43AM
    Options
    It's a hard conversation to have...but do you think, if asked outright, he would confirm that he WANTS to dis-inherit you (and your siblings)?

Which is basically what he'd be doing if he were to die first with no will. If he says YES, then at least you know where you stand with him...if NO, then he NEEDS to do a will ASAP to avoid that exact scenario potentially playing out.

Does he really understand the full implications of intestacy in this scenario, and what passes to whom and in what order, depending on the order they pass in.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He's not intestate, he's got a will. See post 7.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    littledi wrote: »
    My dad and his wife have a joint will. If he goes first,she gets everything,and vice versa. My dad is very poorly,and is now upset that he hasn’t,in his words,catered for us,his children to his first marriage. He is under the impression,that the step monster, will divide his estate evenly . This will not happen!! One of her sons will have the house remortgaged,he is not someone anyone will say no to. He has already told my father,that when he’s dead,the house is his!!! So there you have it,the reason I need some help and advice. I was told my dad could sign something to say,he wishes his 50% of the estate to be divided between his children by his first marriage,but his wife can stay in the property as long as she wishes. Only when the property is sold ,would we receive anything. This way,the stepbrother could only remortgage his mother’s 50% share. I hope I have explained the situation better.

Father has a will & in all likelihood it's not 'joint' (can't recall the proper name for those, but as far as I know solicitors haven't been writing those for many, many years). As has been said, they're probably mirror wills, so he could change his if he wants to (even without her knowledge, his & hers aren't tied together), however...………..

Firstly you need to know how the property you speak of is owned, joint tenants or tenants in common. https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership

If it is joint tenants & there isn't time to change that, then frankly you're stuffed as far as the property is concerned. The 'sign something' you refer to would be to create a Life Interest Trust (for the property), the link will make it clear why it's important you know how it's owned, he cannot leave others something he & his wife own jointly.

If any/all bank & savings accounts are also held jointly he'd have to move funds to A/C's in his sole name if he wants to leave any to other specific family (or give it to you now from the joint A/C's, but there's nothing you've said to indicate he'd want to do that).

If you genuinely cannot arrange for a solicitor to make a home visit then I'm afraid, frankly, there's very little (if anything) you can do. DiY documents created for any part of this could be challenged & likely to fail given the circumstances of your father's failing health.

Does make me wonder if their mirror wills were even produced by a solicitor, for one might have advised a different scenario to protect the interest of the current wife & shared offspring, plus their individual offspring.

I'm afraid you have too little knowledge of information required, therefore too many variables & too little time anyway. It's very sad, more so to be cut off from your father, unless she's done so because she feels too much materialistic duress is being placed on him?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • littledi
    Options
    She isn’t protecting our dad from us waiting to pick his bones! She is ensuring, herself and hers are the only beneficiaries. Our dad said,he has only realised now,that he should have done things differently. We can’t,and never have been, able to talk on the fone,email or text messages. She either listens in,or has access to his accounts. We have to arrange with her to visit. Our dad has to put us on speaker fone if we call him,he did manage to tell us that much,so we know not to say anything!!!
    Our dad is very trusting,he just assumes she will divide everything equally .
    I really would rather not be having this conversation,he’s our dad. We would rather have him than his money.
    They can’t wait for the inevitable,one is already looking at new cars and luxury holidays,brags about it too. The stepmonster just laughs !!
  • littledi
    Options
    Thank you though for your very informative reply.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,confused is an understatement. We can’t get a solicitor to visit him,she won’t even let me and my brothers see him on our own!
    We can’t,and never have been, able to talk on the fone,email or text messages. She either listens in,or has access to his accounts. We have to arrange with her to visit. Our dad has to put us on speaker fone if we call him,he did manage to tell us that much,so we know not to say anything!!!

Could you talk this through with a solicitor and explain that you think your father's wife is being abusive by not allowing him private contact with his own children and refusing to allow him to change his will?

If you arranged a visit and arrived with a solicitor ready to talk through a new will with your father, would she still refuse entry?

A solicitor would need to speak to your father alone so neither you nor any other family member should be in the room with them.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Could you talk this through with a solicitor and explain that you think your father's wife is being abusive by not allowing him private contact with his own children and refusing to allow him to change his will?

If you arranged a visit and arrived with a solicitor ready to talk through a new will with your father, would she still refuse entry?

A solicitor would need to speak to your father alone so neither you nor any other family member should be in the room with them.
    You might also invplxensocial services as I believe this is a clear case of abuse. They are well used to dealing with this sort of situation. She would not be able to prevent them seeing him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure