Which Frozen Meals for the Elderly?

Options
124»

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    Provided the vegetables are frozen promptly by the processor that should not be an issue. Most "fresh" vegetables also spend a lot of time in transit and still more time in the kitchen waiting to be used. The frozen food MAY in fact have more vitamins though manufacturers' past claims may have been exaggerated.

http://www.freshproduce.org.uk/documents/FPCNewsRelease-Freshandfrozen180811.pdf

Yes, I do appreciate all this, and I have no objection to frozen veg as such - we use peas, sweetcorn etc and they're all frozen. What I don't like is having the whole thing prepared, frozen, transported and then reheated all in one dish.

Broccoli, for instance, needs to be used as soon as possible after it has been bought. Any green veg needs using quickly.

However, I appreciate the argument that unless the veg were included in the dish, Dad wouldn't add any separately.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Top of the range, superb quality meals

http://www.cookfood.net/

I had a batch sent to dd for after they had a baby and the food was much appreciated. I sometimes bought a few meals in when I was working and they are gorgeous. This is my choice of company if the need occurs

edit: I see chesky has already mentioned cookfood
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And I will vouch for the quality of Cook meals.

BTW, someone mentioned Charlie Higson earlier in the thread, I have only had one of these, but felt a bit misled as I didn't think it was a complete meal. It was a jolly tasty chicken and leek and green bean concoction with a lovely sauce - but it needed some padding to go with it: we cooked some pasta but only at the last minute, and I do think a 'serving suggestion' or similar would have helped.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Charlie Higson is a comedy actor from the Fast Show, who also writes James Bond sstories for boys.

Perchance you mean Charlie Bingham.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2012 at 10:41AM
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    Charlie Higson is a comedy actor from the Fast Show, who also writes James Bond sstories for boys.

Perchance you mean Charlie Bingham.
    :rotfl: I have no idea, and the cardboard sleeve went out with the recycling last night ...

You get them in Waitrose, at least!
    Edwardia wrote: »
    She has ready meals from Waitrose (own brand and Charlie Higson),
    No, given the above I think it WAS Charlie Higson. I know nothing about the Fast Show, but there was a cartoon on it with a chap saying "this food is so groooo-vy" and the woman saying "we're not in the 1970s now" or something like that, plus it said "serve with a wink" - is that from the Fast Show? because it meant nothing to us!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In fact I noticed it in Edwardia's post but so many posts had passed by then that I didn't bother to reply about it. The food IS Charlie Bingham and I've often looked at it in Waitrose - but it's always seemed rather pricey so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I will next time I see it 'red stickered'.

And I've been buying Charlie Higson's books for my grandson. The thought of 'swiss tony' cooking is wonderfully bizarre.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure