Which Frozen Meals for the Elderly?

Options

Comments

• cherrypies
    Options
    I can recommend Cook, great choice of dishes, not the boring meat and 3 veg that a lot of places do. Do they have to be delivered? If you can shop for your Mum once a week or fortnight, I'd really recommend Marks and Spencer. The quality is excellent, portion sizes good and a lot of the meals are on offer most of the time .. 2 for £6 for example on the fuller for longer range. The small meals are very popular and a lot of elderly people who go in my store, buy the kids meals, about £2.50 each. Hot puddings are also currently, buy one get one half price. The fresh soups are good value at 2 for £3 and yield 2 portions per pot.

You can even buy ready to eat porridge for breakfasts :)
  • lil.smartie
    Options
    Cook stuff is nice but try Ocado if they are in your area. Drivers are ace, real step above most others, they will bring things in too and I'm pretty sure every one I've met would put the things in the freezer if asked to! They also do 1hr time slots & call if anything changes which could be reassuring too and they email and text to let you know who to expect and what colour van too which you could relay on if not techie enough to do this.
    Yes I have had issues in the past but recent performance has been fab!
    I used to work for a care co and the calls from the clients with complaints about the food (or the relatives!) when they had WFF were fairly frequent and some paid to get carers for longer to cook a meal...
    Kate
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Options
    The mother of one of my mum's friends used WFF. When she died, WFF still sent out the brochure etc. It took several weeks for my mum's friend to contact them explaining that her mother has passed away.

Obviously if your main target market is the elderly that is pretty poor customer service as they probably get calls/e-mails everyday saying that their mother/father/aunt/uncle/gran/neighbour has passed away.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    Since I posted -- #9 -- I've stopped buying from WFF. The service remained good, the staff were almost all helpful and friendly, but the food just wasn't good enough. (Some is awful, but I found some perfectly all right; I got tired though of throwing their veg. away.)

Also as I ordered other food and other goods from the major supermarkets, I decided I might as well get the meals from them. Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury are all OK and all have decent ready meals, or ready meal main dishes, anyway. (I haven't tried Ocado yet.) And it is a lot more flexible.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2012 at 11:06AM
    Options
    We're not quite yet at the stage of needing supplies of ready meals, but I've read all the comments here and, from what people say, I don't think I'd ever want to go down that route.

DH and I don't do puddings, for a start. We finish a meal with fruit, or, occasionally, we have a Yeo Valley Greek-style yogurt with honey.

A fried egg on a slice of wholemeal bread if you want a quick meal with little effort. DH has baked beans. I don't like them, so I might have a sliced tomato.

I remember being told years ago as a student nurse (when student nurses were still expected to know about nutrition!) that a ham sandwich was a balanced meal because it contains protein, carbohydrate and fat.

We've often not had a 'hot cooked meal' at lunch-time, not even on a Sunday. We eat well, but we do eat pretty simply.

If I really, really, really wanted ready-meals I'd get them along with a supermarket delivery. As I've never had any I can't suggest one rather than another, but that seems to be the simplest solution. Get the ready-meals along with the rest of the grocery order.

BTW I wouldn't want pre-cooked veg included in a frozen meal. Veg soon loses its vitamins and nutritional value the longer it is in transit.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    chesky369 wrote: »
    Have you thought of Cook Foods online dishes. They're not designed specifically for old folk and I suspect they might be expensive but they are tasty. Haven't ordered them online but tried a couple from one of their shops and they were very good.

http://www.cookfood.net/

I liked the look of this supplier. The Hearty Fisherman's Pie looked good, and they mention that it goes well with broccoli or French beans. However, someone else in this thread mentioned that it was an advantage having the veg included because Dad wouldn't bother to do veg separately. Two different points of view - either you like having your veg included because you wouldn't do any separately, or you wouldn't want it included, preferring your veg to be fresh.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BTW I wouldn't want pre-cooked veg included in a frozen meal. Veg soon loses its vitamins and nutritional value the longer it is in transit.

Provided the vegetables are frozen promptly by the processor that should not be an issue. Most "fresh" vegetables also spend a lot of time in transit and still more time in the kitchen waiting to be used. The frozen food MAY in fact have more vitamins though manufacturers' past claims may have been exaggerated.

http://www.freshproduce.org.uk/documents/FPCNewsRelease-Freshandfrozen180811.pdf
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    We tried a few for mum, in all honesty she didn't eat them or like them. I usually just cook a wee bit extra and put her's and my dd's in wee tupperware dishes. DD's gets taken daily, mum's get frozen and take them over once a week. I know this way's not ideal for everyone, but makes things so much easier for dm and dd doing it this way. And no extra work for me as I'm cooking anyhoo.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mazza111 wrote: »
    We tried a few for mum, in all honesty she didn't eat them or like them. I usually just cook a wee bit extra and put her's and my dd's in wee tupperware dishes. DD's gets taken daily, mum's get frozen and take them over once a week. I know this way's not ideal for everyone, but makes things so much easier for dm and dd doing it this way. And no extra work for me as I'm cooking anyhoo.

I used to do this for my mother when she was alive, especially casseroles, but it only really works if you're in regular close contact. Surprised to see this was dug up from two years ago when I first recommended Cook - there don't seem to have been new good quality suppliers in that period of time.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah works for me cos I'm taking the dd over there 3 times a week for a shower, even before that I'd still take it over once a week. On the nights we'll maybe have a takeaway, she'll get one too. I do realise this won't work for everyone, just no extra work for me cooking for 2 extra people this way :)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport