Elderly Disabled Mum - How to Withdraw Money?

Options
Mum has savings (around 13k) in her regular saver account with Lloyds and wants to close this account and withdraw her money to share out amongst the family.

Problem here is that she's housebound and can't make it into a Lloyds bank and she has no regular bank account -just this Saver account.

How can she withdraw her money? I can't for the life of me see how it can be done?

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    dollydiva wrote: »
    Mum has savings (around 13k) in her regular saver account with Lloyds and wants to close this account and withdraw her money to share out amongst the family.

Problem here is that she's housebound and can't make it into a Lloyds bank and she has no regular bank account -just this Saver account.

How can she withdraw her money? I can't for the life of me see how it can be done?

Open an online Lloyds Bank current account?

http://www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts.asp?WT.mc_id=43700009613591461&WT.srch=1&gclid=CPym8JLKv9QCFTgo0wodxu0Mxw
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Are you sure the money is in a regular saver account ? as these type of accounts normally hold up to £6000 (£500 a month for a year) Lloyds allow only £250 a month in their regular saver accounts.

You mention that she doesnt have a bank account, how has your mother been funding the account?

Okay so to answer your question, your mum can transfer money over the telephone, you can also get a third party access form completed that will allow you to close the account, but this can only be applied if the correct ID is seen and the signature is correct on the bank system.

If this is not suitable, then your mother will just have to make either small payments to each member of the family, or transfer the money into a newly opened bank account where you then can have joint or POA access on it.

If you decide to go down the POA route.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Are you sure the money is in a regular saver account ? as these type of accounts normally hold up to £6000 (£500 a month for a year) Lloyds allow only £250 a month in their regular saver accounts.
    I suspect that, since OP also refers to a 'regular bank account', they were meaning regular in the sense of 'normal' or 'standard' rather than the 'paid in every month' usage of the term?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is your mother on (or likely to need) means tested benefits?

If so, the question of deprivation of assets might require consideration.

Your mother might open (on line) a Classic current account with Lloyds bank which would give her internet access.

She could then make FPs to the bank accounts of the relatives in question.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    dollydiva wrote: »
    Are you sure you want to allow her to do that. If that's all she has, she may need it herself for who knows what. I would council her too keep it.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If that is all the savings she has, she would be a fool to give it away.

She should however set up a lasting power of attorney so that her finances can be managed when she is unable to do so.
  • Maximum_Saving
    Options
    She could open up new current accounts in order to use her money sensibly. I don't think she should give any money away. One day she might have a lasting power of attorney so her finances can be managed for her. If she wishes to apply for means tested benefits they have too high amounts and the person won't get the benefit.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If she wishes to apply for means tested benefits they have too high amounts and the person won't get the benefit.

Not true in the case of residential care (assets below £14250 are disregarded), but giving the money away to get other means tested benefits would be classed as deprivation of assets and she would be treated as though she still had the money.

Also,what would she do, if having given all away, she needs a new cooker, fridge etc or needs more care than her allowance will finance (levels provided are being shaved down all the time) ?

Because funding is in short supply, powers that be are becoming more stringent about their checking of people's assets.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Is your mother on (or likely to need) means tested benefits?

If so, the question of deprivation of assets might require consideration.

Your mother might open (on line) a Classic current account with Lloyds bank which would give her internet access.

She could then make FPs to the bank accounts of the relatives in question.

I'm sure a bank's fraud systems will see nothing wromg with an 86 year old suddenly registering for online banking to transfer all her money.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure a bank's fraud systems will see nothing wromg with an 86 year old suddenly registering for online banking to transfer all her money.

Are you suggesting that an 86 year old customer of the bank would not be permitted to open a bank account, register for internet access and use it in the normal way?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure