'"Who can I complain to if a shop is overpricing goods?"' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    "Got some headphones at Sainsbury’s for £18, then went into another of its stores where they were £10 more expensive. Would I have had a right to get them at the cheaper price?"A quote from the link. It does not read as being correct to me as you did get them £10 cheaper than the second store.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hence the word "Would" ;)
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Define "overprice".
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I went to buy a fridge from Currys last week.

I'd already looked online and found one at £99, but when I got the store, they were charging £119 for it.

When I queried it, they said that price was "web only". So rather than argue the case, I simply used my phone to order one from their website whilst I was standing at the cash desk.

Sometimes, you just have to stand up for yourself - whether the shop is "technically" right or not.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure what sort of discussion you are expecting, and why you feel this board is the right place for a discussion anyway. The fact is that the blog has set out the position on retail pricing, end of discussion.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of places (usually furniture stores) at (on going)sale's advertise that product was priced at for x days at a certain store.

Of course the OP. Could buy a 2nd product at the cheap store and return the expensive one.....
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dalesrider wrote: »
    Of course the OP. Could buy a 2nd product at the cheap store and return the expensive one.....
    Well they could only do that if the store's returns policy allowed it.

There is no statutory right to return goods that are not faulty.
  • Million_Percent
    Options
    I can't believe anyone thinks it out of order that something costs more in a convenience store than it does in a large superstore.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the article, its makes it very clear a shop can sell at whatever price it likes and the consumer has no statutory rights to anything.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd prefer it if the retailers didn't have everything on their side on this.

I stood behind someone at the Cinema refreshments till the other day.

He bought a 750ml bottle of still water (not even a fancy brand). It cost £2.75. I had a 500ml bottle of still water in my pocket that I bought from Aldi in a pack of 12 - it cost me the equivalent of 17p.

I totally understand that cinemas need to make money from refreshments, but there must be something slightly wrong when a product is subject to a 1600% markup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure