'"Who can I complain to if a shop is overpricing goods?"' blog discussion

Options
13»

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I stood behind someone at the Cinema refreshments till the other day...I totally understand that cinemas need to make money from refreshments, but there must be something slightly wrong when a product is subject to a 1600% markup.

Cinemas make next to nil from selling seats. Blockbuster releases may take 95p out of every £1 straight back to the distributor - the cinema has to pay for rent, electricity, staff, bulbs, loos, rates, maintenance etc from that 5p. This is why concessions are so important to the cinema, and many people feel it's actually fair game to pay the £2.75 rather than lose more of the few cinemas we still have.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It depends - like all of these pricing issues, it's about establishing the optimum market. And I realise that there are fixed costs to be covered.

I just wonder how much they are losing in sales lost to regular attendees because the prices are too high. Like people have been saying throughout this thread - we have a right not to buy, I exercise that right most of the time when I go to the cinema. The Unlimited card is a bargain if you use it well, and I'd hate to spoil that by buying refreshments.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Also, not exactly "price" as such, but payday lenders, dubious competitions, etc. where the price is emphasised, de-emphasised or structured in a particular way to create a particular perception.

If anything, payday lenders emphasise the price! They deemphasise the APR, but that's another story
  • Money-Saving-King
    Options
    It depends - like all of these pricing issues, it's about establishing the optimum market. And I realise that there are fixed costs to be covered.

I just wonder how much they are losing in sales lost to regular attendees because the prices are too high.

What about all the money you've not earned with obviously being able to run a cinema chain so much better than them?

Surely there much be loads of companies wanting to snatch you up as CEO with your wonderful insight at being able to run Cinemas & Currys better than anyone else?

Do you seriously think you know better how to do this than they do?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What about all the money you've not earned with obviously being able to run a cinema chain so much better than them?

Surely there much be loads of companies wanting to snatch you up as CEO with your wonderful insight at being able to run Cinemas & Currys better than anyone else?

Do you seriously think you know better how to do this than they do?

With all the discussion across the World about business ethics, you really want to take this line?

FWIW, I have and continue to be involved in the running of various businesses. I consider myself perfectly well qualified to comment on my own experiences as a customer and also to speculate on the business models of companies I do business with.
  • DJ_Mike
    DJ_Mike Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 July 2013 at 10:32AM
    Options
    I have to laugh; not long ago this site was vilifying motorway convenience stations for charging more for petrol than elsewhere - it's the same principle! What makes it OK as a standard practice for shops and so awful for service stations?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure