This might be ridiculous but

Options
Hi guys this might sound a bit manic but would really appreciate advice.

I'm a carer for my partner she has physical and mental health illnesses. (also have 2 kids)

She gets pip
We also get housing benefit full award
Income support
Cb/ctc
I get carers alowence

So I heard the horror stories of people going for reassessments for pip and the ascesors completely lying and the pip gets taken off the claimant.

So this would be the worse case scenario because obviously we would loose the ca. And income support (so I believe anyway)

My question is if this happened god forbid would we still get our housing benefit paid in full? We live in a council house. The most important thing would be to keep our house over our heads.

And if it did happen what would we claim. (still assuming the worst case of doing a mandatory reconsideration and tribunal both failed)

Sorry the topic is so manic and anxiety ridden it just seems the dwp make living very hard and stressful for ill and disabled people and in this day in age you have to plan ahead for multiple different scenarios.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You need to remember that you never hear the stories about the millions of people on benefit where the system has worked as it is intended. It's the horror stories which hit the headlines, and rightly so, but they are a comparatively small minority.
  • GARYG90
    GARYG90 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for reply.

Yeah I know its mad to be anxious about something that probably won't happen.

Just know a couple of people that this has happened to.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "My question is if this happened god forbid would we still get our housing benefit paid in full? "

Yes, by completing a nil income form at your local council HB dept.

As tellit01 says, try not to worry to much.
    (See https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2018/june/ten-year-pip-reviews-people-most-severe-health-conditions)

Best way to plan ahead would be to know how to write a good PIP form, and be prepared for the assessment.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Ezorqs
    Ezorqs Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Those tribunals are wonderful things. However even if you did lose all of the above (aside from Housing benefit as others have alluded to) you can claim one of the other benefits such as JSA in the mean time (unless a UC area, in which case this gets way outta my zone). If they tell you that you have been disallowed from say 1st June and they only told you today (this is not uncommon) you can request backdating to the 1st June as you had no opportunity to claim earlier... satisfies the 'Good Cause' test under the social security pesky darned act.
  • Nooney123456789
    Options
    Your income support will still entitle you to housing benefit.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your income support will still entitle you to housing benefit.
    If the OP loses entitlement to Carers Allowance, unless they have a child under the age of 5 they won't be entitled to Income Support.

As stated, housing benefit can be claimed through nil income.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GARYG90 wrote: »
    So I heard the horror stories of people going for reassessments for pip and the ascesors completely lying and the pip gets taken off the claimant.

Always ask for the interview to be recorded - much less chance of the wrong answers being put on the form.
  • GARYG90
    Options
    Thank you so much for advice
  • GARYG90
    Options
    Hi there thank you for advice. I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old baby.

That's not bad then. I thought if loosing pip your income support would go as well with Ca
  • GARYG90
    Options
    Also if this was to happen would Ctc and CB stay the same. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business