PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's Chingford Mount like

Options
I am thinking of buying a property off Priory Avenue (Chingford Mount side) and was wondering what the area was like. The property is also near the Churchill Estate. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The road/houses look well maintained, but not sure on the area in terms of crime, etc

Comments

• Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    I lived quite close to there (Highams Park end) until 2007 and walked up to the Mount almost every day.
    It was a fairly dull outer London suburb, not much going on but perfectly adequate for everyday needs.
    Probably a bit safer than many other parts of London (or it was) but not great for trains, as it doesn't have its own station. The closest tube is Walthamstow Central but that's accessible by bus. Buses are ok and fairly frequent.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    If it's in Essex it's the same as the rest of Essex.

How do they pronounce the word "shiyit"? Do they put the y after the h, before the t or in the middle as left?
  • Hillwalker11
    Options
    Chingford Mount is not in Essex. It is a London Borough with postcode E4.
  • jimmy_cricket
    Options
    Avoid south of the mount. Towards greens gym and up near the cemetery are fine. The mount itself as a shopping area has gone right down in recent years with longstanding shops disappearing
  • victoriavictorious
    Options

How do they pronounce the word "shiyit"? Do they put the y after the h, before the t or in the middle as left?
    They pronounce it "shitttt."
    "Sugar" is commonly heard in North Essex / Suffolk borders where they're posher.
    With the exception of Braintree.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Agree with Jimmy C. Would maybe consider north of the Mount, above Iceland, but not below.

Also much further from station if you need it.

Used to live in Highams Park and North Chingford. Know it well. Moved dut of latter in Nov last year.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've found this site very helpful and informative -

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • MF2015
    MF2015 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

We live just outside Saffron Walden, which is technically Essex. I would not consider it sh*te

Rather a sweeping pointless statement.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MF2015 wrote: »
    We live just outside Saffron Walden, which is technically Essex. I would not consider it sh*te

Rather a sweeping pointless statement.
    Lots of Essex is lovely - I live there myself :) But don't take offence, it's not how it was meant. There was some programme on telly about how people pronounce the f word and sh.. word. North Essex and South are apparently very different.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport