New Driver - 2 Speeding tickets in a week!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    And my point is people sit at 60!

And on the single carriageway nearest me. It has two lanes on one side and people go 70. The police do love the spot though.

The problem is people see the speed limit as a target.
    The clue is in the name "limit".

And yes I probably do the same more often than not :o
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Of course nowadays streetlights no repeaters could be a 20 zone, which you could have reached by train then picked up a hire car...but it remains your fault if you weren't psychic and didn't know.
    No need for psychic powers. A 20 zone will have traffic calming measures every 100 metres or less.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    according to this the threshold for a sac is 35 in a 30 zone
    https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

As she was doing 36 she will not get offered one.
    That page has it wrong. The guideline for SACs is up to 110% of limit plus 9mph, i.e. op to 42 in a 30 limit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jono987 wrote: »
    It's a shame they removed your insult. Guaranteed you wouldn't dare say anything like that to anyone in real life so you have to settle for typing it out on the internet haha. Pleb.

Actually I do quite often. My drug dealing neighbour and his customers usually.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gentlemen, we are all here to express an enjoyment of cars and fellow motorists. Can we not do so without bickering?
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    No need for psychic powers. A 20 zone will have traffic calming measures every 100 metres or less.

All traffic calming has been removed in my area.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    That page has it wrong. The guideline for SACs is up to 110% of limit plus 9mph, i.e. op to 42 in a 30 limit.
    I don't think that what they have stated is wrong, simply badly phrased.
    What they are trying to say is that the figure for when a SAC or FPN will be issued is from 35mph and not that this speed is the cut off point for the course.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Labsuper wrote: »
    All traffic calming has been removed in my area.

If there are no traffic calming measures then it's not a 20mph zone but is a road with a 20mph limit.
    A 20mph zone will have traffic calming of some description.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    force_ten wrote: »
    it is really hard for a new driver to get on the road legally due to extortionate insurance costs....

The 'extortionate' price reflects the risk that young and new drivers present to the insurance companies.

Statistically they are far more likely to have accidents than older more experienced drivers.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 6 August 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Darth_Spud wrote: »
    She thought the road was a 40.

Why did she think the road was a 40? Speed limit signs are very clear, so there would be no reason for her to think it was a 40 unless the signs weren't clear.

There's a road near me where it goes from 60 to 30 at a slightly odd point (a long way before
    the village/any houses) and the signs are almost completely grown over at the moment. Anyone who didn't know the road would be likely to miss them.

As she's a new driver, all the rules would be very fresh in her mind, so I'm sure there's a legitimate reason for her breaking the law - maybe go and take photos of the damaged/missing/obscured 30 signs and contest the tickets.

EDIT: Read further on through the thread and noticed you're fronting her on your insurance. Sounds like you're just a pair of chancers, so I suspect the speed limit signs were fully visible, she just decided to ignore them because she doesn't actually care about how her speeding could affect others.

I'm glad she's been caught.

Hopefully now you'll get on and sort out the insurance. Don't forget to mention the points and pay the increased premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure