0% Purchases with same company

Options
If you had a 0% on purchases with say, Barclays and then when the 0% was up, you paid it off, closed the account and cut up the card, can you still apply for another 0% on purchases say, three or four years later with the same company or do they remember that you've already had a 0% with them in the past?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My money would definitely be on them remembering you - but that doesn't mean they wouldn't offer another 0% deal (although no guarantee that they would either). Why not just keep the cards active and unused for a while, then phone them up to cancel the cards and see if they can give you another 0% as a "motivation" for you to not leave?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had several repeat cards over the years. Deals to new customers are usually much better than anything you get get while you are with them - the exception might be to stop you leaving.
    Many insist on a gap - such as Tesco saying 6 months after leaving before you count as new.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They constantly send me offers for new BT deals, I've had an initial 39 month one, paid it off, kept the card empty and then a few months used a new offer on the same card later for 18 months 0%
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have cancelled a Post Office 0% that I had as it ran out last month.

But I have just been accepted on a MBNA one (was quite surprised at the limit they offered me straightaway - £6,400, but hey ho) and have an AA one that runs out next year.

I think I won't apply for any more for a while!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends what their cut off point is for defining a "new customer" and a "returning customer"
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a list from the main MSE site on the 'should I cancel old credit cards' page:

How long until you're a 'new customer' (rough guide)
    • American Express: Six months
    • Barclaycard: Six months
    • Capital One: 30 days after last statement
    • Halifax: 60 days after cancelling account
    • HSBC: Six months
    • Lloyds: 60 days after cancelling account
    • Nationwide: 12 months
    • NatWest / RBS: Eight months
    • Santander: One month

Once you're a 'new customer' you're eligible for all of the introductory offers again.
  • sonuenjoys
    Options
    apply for barclaycard provided it's been more than 6 months since you have closed the account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure