Travel cash

Options
Hi All
Being an avid follower of all things MSE, I've got a Halifax Clarity card that I used with great success around europe, and it has indeed given me the best rate, this includes getting cash out of the ATM to use(I always pay- IN FULL lol)

Now I'm taking the family to Cancun on Saturday, and intended to get dollars either in our 1.30hr stop off at JFK or while in Cancun from an ATM, but have since read there are high charges for using the machines in JFK airport, and especially at the hotel in Cancun.

What should I do to get cash? Looking at getting between 500-1000 buckeroos

Thanks in advance

MM

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Clarity has a relatively high daily cash withdrawal limit of £500, so $630.

If you intend to rely on only the one card for your family, consider immediately signing up for a Monzo and a Starling Bank account on your smartphone, in the hope that at least one card arrives before your departure, which is likely if you don't hesitate. You will then have backup and a higher combined ATM limit.

There must be ATMs in Cancun apart from in the hotel.

Do you happen to be departing from Gatwick or Stansted? If so you can escape ATM fees.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • MM2002
    MM2002 Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Dicky,
    I have a Monzo card already, but I’m after notes for tips etc. Anywhere cards are accepted as payment I’ll use the clarity card.
    Anyone know of ATM charges at JFK or Cancun airport?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    MM2002 wrote: »
    Thanks Dicky,
    I have a Monzo card already, but I’m after notes for tips etc. Anywhere cards are accepted as payment I’ll use the clarity card.
    Anyone know of ATM charges at JFK or Cancun airport?

There are Credit Union ATM that charge perhaps US$1.50. But they are land side.
    Alternatively, as eDicky has suggested, use the MoneyCorp ATM at Gatwick(choosing to be billed in US$, not GBP).
  • MM2002
    Options
    In flying from Heathrow. Any atm!!!8217;s there that give dollars?
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    In flying from Heathrow. Any atm!!!8217;s there that give dollars?

No

• MM2002
    Options
    Ok guys, so is the answer now for me to bite the bullet and get a crappy rate at the post office/airport? Is there really nowhere for me to get usd using my clarity card at MasterCard exchange rates?
    How about metro bank? Do their atm!!!8217;s give dollars? I!!!8217;m going through slough on the way to lhr so could pop in and get some, but do they charge a fee also?
    Thanks in advance
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Cancun airport will surely have ATMs, have you checked their website? If not there's bound to be ATMs in the town.
  • MM2002
    Options
    Yeah, they do, but apparently there’s a fee for using them. Only looking to change 4-500 £ worth so maybe stressing over a few quid.
  • MM2002
    Options
    changed in Tesco in store. They price matched and gave me 1.25, much better than 1.18 they show as the rates in store!
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    changed in Tesco in store. They price matched and gave me 1.25, much better than 1.18 they show as the rates in store!

I'm confused...Cancun is in Mexico not the USA. Mexico has it's own currency, Pesos. Why do you need US dollars?
    That the reason for the high ATM charges. Because people think it's sensible to withdraw US dollars in Mexico, get stung for their stupidity and then probably get ripped off when using dollars.

It's Mexico, use Pesos. :)
    Withdraw cash from a bank, not a standalone ATM. Fee may be between 40 pesos per withdrawal.
    That's about £1.65.

Instead, if you spent £500 on US dollars, you just overspent at least 2 cents for every pound. Ten dollars.
    Not a huge amount, but now you are going to be handing over US dollars instead of pesos. So let's hope they give you a good exchange rate from dollars to pesos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure