April 2008 Income Tax and NI Changes: How will they affect you?

Options
Updated 2 September 2008
(Comments in the discussion may relate to earlier incarnations of this information)

After the huge '10p tax row' in April, the Government upped everyone's income tax personal allowance (the amount you pay no tax on) from £5,435 to £6,035 to make up for it.

This takes effect next Sunday (7 Sept), so if you earn between £6,035 and £40,835, watch your payslip to ensure you get the extra cash.

What's the background?

In the government's 2007 Budget report, it got rid of the old 10% rate of income tax, and reduced the 'basic rate' from 22% to 20%. Yet when this change was implemented in April 2008, public uproar followed as people earning between around £6,000 and £15,000 actually brought home less pay.

To fix this imbalance, on 13 May 2008, the Chancellor announced everyone's tax-free Personal Allowance for 2008/09 (i.e. this tax year) would rise £600 to £6,035, to reimburse those who lost out when the 10p tax-rate was scrapped; and give a tax cut to many others.

What happens now?

Even though this was announced in May, personal allowances officially increase to £6,035 on 7 September.

For all basic-rate taxpayers the impact is a £120 gain; this money will go straight into your pay, with the first £60 coming in September, and an extra £10 per month for the rest of the financial year until next April.

You shouldn't need to do a thing in order to get this cash; if it doesn't appear in your next paypacket, speak to whoever deals with the payroll at your place of work.

Will this make up for the end of the 10% band?

If you are a basic-rate taxpayer earning £6,035 or more, you'll pocket £120 more over the year than you would have done before this announcement.

This will make up what you lost when the 10% band disappeared, unless you earn between £7,130 and £9,075, when you could still be up to £30 out of pocket compared to last year. The Govt says many will have had tax credit rises too and possibly balance this out, but if it applies to you read my full Benefits Check-up article to find out more.

Higher Rate Taxpayers won't gain (or lose)

For higher-rate taxpayers, the 40% threshold will shift down by £600 to £40,835, meaning most will earn exactly the same as they would have done (if you earn between £40,835 and £41,460, you make a small profit).

See the Chancellor's full statement from May 2008

For a bigger range of data and figures for overs 65s go to HMRC rates

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    The 10% income tax ‘starting rate’ will be removed for pensions
    and earned income but will stay in place for savings.

A little more detail on that from the HMRC site (critical bits made bold) :-
    There will be a new 10% starting rate for savings income only, with a limit of £2320. If an individual’s taxable non-savings income is above this limit then the 10% savings rate will not be applicable.

.... so if your non-savings income exceeds your personal allowances you will pay tax, initially, at the new rate of 20%. But if your non-savings income exceeds your personal allowances .... but by less than £2320 - then the balance can be off-set against any savings income at 10%.

Not easy to comprehend and creates a further level of complexity both for HMRC (because you'll have to claim .. as tax will have been deducted from your interest at 20%) and their customers? I know the 10% band existed before .. but it was a fixture. This new 'pseudo' band only exists if your savings (the top slice of your income) actually hit it.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not all that far into the positive side of the graph but at least the income tax reduction won't be completely cancelled out by my council tax and water rate increases...the increased cost of everything else will do that.
    This year's pay rises should see me better off in the end though...
  • simongregson
    Options
    Well, I am happy to be on the positive side of the graph. But I can't help but feel that there is something wrong with the worst paid workers being worse off, especially with the effect of other bills rising.
  • meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    What is this all about?

In last year's budget, the Government announced changes to income tax to take effect in April 2008, next month. The amounts of tax we pay on our pension, salaries and savings is changing, meaning what we receive in our monthly pay cheques is likely to alter too.

What's going to change?
    • The 10% income tax ‘starting rate’ will be removed for pensions
      and earned income but will stay in place for savings.
    • The ‘basic rate’ of income tax will be dropped by 2% to 20%.
    • The ‘higher rate’ of income tax stays the same at 40%.
    Whereas before the tax was staggered in three bands, this has now been simplified to two bands, with the new figures being:
    incometaxtable.jpg

How does this affect you?

What this means in a nutshell is that, even if your salary is exactly the same in March 2008 and April 2008, you will take home a different amount of money. You can check exactly how much this’ll change for you using the calculator on Listentothetaxman. Pop in your salary, and do a check for this tax year 2007/08. Then click the 2008/09 tab underneath the results to see what it will change to in April.

Once you know what you'll be on, take a look at the Budget Planner. This will help you know where yopu are financially when the tax change happens.

Anyone earning less than £15,000 will actually bring home less salary but should be able to get a higher amount of working tax credit to balance it out. If this applies to you read my full Benefits Check-up article to find out more.

How your salary will be affected by the change in income tax (Source: Standard Life):

incometaxgraph.jpg

How to check you are paying the correct amount of tax

The end of the financial year is also a good time to check if you have paid the correct amount of tax over the last year. Read my full briefing on how to check your tax to see if you paid too much: Check your income tax

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I have to say, I disagree with this summary.

Firstly, basic WTC is only £1800 a year, or £2,535 if you work full-time. A single worker will not receive a penny in WTC on £15k/year. He just loses £223 from the 10% tax increase on starting incomes. If you have children, then, yes, you will be better off, due to the hike in CTC, and also the increase in income before tax credits are taken off you. As well, as this, workers under 25 cannot get WTC without children, and nor can workers over 25 unless they work full-time. So quite a few people worse off.

In addition, to this there is an increase in tax of 10% on incomes just below the higher rate allowance, targeted to hit mid and higher earners:

2007/08:

National Insurance paid @ 11% on incomes from £5,200 up to £34,840.
    1% above £34,840

2008/09

National Insurance paid @ 11% on incomes from £5,460 up to £40,040
    1 % above £40,040.

The NI payable on an income of £40,040, goes from £3,260.40 + £52 = £3310.40 to £3803.80. A tax rise of £493.40. Quite a lot.

The other thing with the changes, is that they have not uplifted them with inflation in the graph.

If you earned £42,000, then that should rise by 2.5% just to stay at the same level.

So last year, you would pay:

£223 10% IT
    £7,121.40 22% IT
    £870 40% IT
    £3260.40 11% NI
    £71.60 1% NI
    = £11,546.40

This year on £43,050 you would pay:
    £7,200 20% IT
    £646 40% IT
    £3803.80 11% NI
    £30.10 1% NI
    = £11679.90

Dividing this year's tax bill by 1.025, gives £11395. Which means tax has only really fallen £150/year for these earners, not £300, which ignores inflation.

But the government has another NI hike schedulled for next year, of £140, which will wipe out any saving.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am really angry with the government with this budget, as I only earn around £7,000 per year my tax bill has been DOUBLED in a fell swoop! Up to now I have never reached the 22% mark as after allowance I only stayed within the 10%, now I shall pay 20% on the whole of my taxable income.

As always, the ones to lose out are the low earner and part timers, and usually these are women. So what's new....

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    One group I haven't heard mentioned in all the articles and programmes I've seen about this recently is those on taxable benefits.

My husband receives long term IB - he currently gets taxed on it to the tune of about £5 a week - his tax bill will, if I've calculated it correctly, almost double - it may only be a low figure still, but it will make a heck of a difference to us. And there's no money coming from elsewhere for us to balance things out with, unless someone knows otherwise.

:(
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    The rich are better off... those on low incomes and working day to day are worse off. And this is a Labour government?

It's not much to me, maybe a fiver a month, but for christ's sake... they've got things a**e backwards! They need to be taxing the people who can afford it more!
  • Kernow_Kid
    Options
    The rich are better off... those on low incomes and working day to day are worse off. And this is a Labour government?

It's not much to me, maybe a fiver a month, but for christ's sake... they've got things a**e backwards! They need to be taxing the people who can afford it more!

I couldn't agree more.
    My partner and I earn uner £16k a year each, with no kids, a mortgage and a car, living in Cornwall.
    We will now pay more tax, water rates, electric, gas, petrol, etc. etc.
    If we are lucky we will get 2 - 3% pay rise.
    This is already wiped out by the gas/electric alone.

The only way for us to get some cash back is to have kids!:confused:
    Not an option.:mad:
    Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave!:A
  • meester
    meester Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    I am really angry with the government with this budget, as I only earn around £7,000 per year my tax bill has been DOUBLED in a fell swoop! Up to now I have never reached the 22% mark as after allowance I only stayed within the 10%, now I shall pay 20% on the whole of my taxable income.

As always, the ones to lose out are the low earner and part timers, and usually these are women. So what's new....

Caterina

Do you work part-time?

On £7k, the tax was

(£7,000 - 5225) * 0.1 = £1,775 = £177.50
    plus NI
    (£7,000 - £5200) * 0.11 = £198

=
    £375.50

It's now, assuming 2.5% inflation, hence £7,175 salary:

(£7175 - £5435) * 0.2 = £348
    plus NI
    (£7175 - 5460) * 0.11 = £188.65
    =
    £536.65

which is equivalent to £523.56 before inflaiton.

So you pay an extra £148 of tax.

But if you work over 30 hours a week, and assuming you are over 25, you will be entitled to WTC, which has gone up for workers at this level. So I would suggest you work more hours, as the WTC should be about £1500/year on top of your wages.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »

Caterina

I'm in that triangle with you Caterina. Yes, my dh earns more than I do and will be better off..... OK, I'm not going to starve, because he shares what he has with me:D but it's the principle of the matter that I find:mad:
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family