PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    I am reading a lot of comments ont he lines of "DH/OH has sabotaged plan" or "went shopping with DH/OH and ended up spending more" etc...

I've been lurking since the new year and joined this month, as the help the Grocery Challenge has given me has saved me more than I would have thought possible. In terms of OH and the budget, it's taken me forever to work out how to deal with it.

Mr HoneyBear and I shop and pay for the groceries alternately, and then cook on alternate nights. Our situation isn't that helpful if you take the responsibility for all of it, but if he's spending money and expecting you to balance the budget, that's a posisble conflict, isn't it?

I'd like to say Mr HB and I have cracked it, but the reality is that occasionally one of us does the shopping to help the other out, and there is then a settling up financially. (Some households pool money, we don't, and our system works for us.) Earlier this year, I'd managed to get my weekly food bill down to £26 and we ate well on it - I was so proud! The next time it was my turn I'd broken my wrist and was laid up, post-operatively, and he did it for me.

He proudly presented me with a bill of £86!:eek:
    Better is good enough.
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks WantToBeSE will pop then on my list for my next shop, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Just nipping in to say HI! :wave:

I am so behind on posts etc :(

Under budget last week and hoping to do the same this week which begins today :)

OH is at work so today was another salad mountain for dinner :j It is using up the fridge whoopsies up very nicely. I HATE waste!

Aargh. It has started to rain as i type :mad: Was gonna trim the hedges :(

Double aargh!! Washing is on the line too :mad: :mad:

Tough. Im going to leave it there now its soaked anyway!!!! :(
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • cowboymum
    cowboymum Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh no more spending!!! £8.10 shop at Tescos on cereal and a few other bits (hopefully going to get some of this back from price check thing and got the voucher for 10p off a litre petrol - thank you whoever it was who said this) and about £12 also at Tescos. This was food for childminded children, plus toxic stuff to clean out washing machine - tried all the tricks but still smelt disgusting. Smells nice now!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2012 at 3:52PM
    Options
    Just in to say a quick hi and to report spends of 20.89, which puts me a bit over for this time, but hopefully i will stop looking a AF and it should be ok (lol). Off to update sig, have a nice weekend everyone.

cowboymum - i used to get awful smells and mould on the seals from my washing machine, i stopped using fab conditioner and now use vinegar in final wash and its all gone away, my washing still smells lovely, I can highly recommend that.

Edit: Whoops quite a bit over my total for week 1,
  • PhGage
    PhGage Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    It's not possible to cost my budget at present because half of an Approved Foods order is missing and I don't know if that part will end up being refunded or replaced so I can't put up the total yet.

I decided to experiment with some recipes for the £7 to feed 2 adults for 1 week challenge so needed to purchase some items that I hadn't planned.

The upside of the £7 challenge is that I've tried out a lot of recipes for dried marrowfat peas and chickpea flour: I'm also looking forward to a fresh peach after several days of eating on such a tight budget.

Spending this week: £8.65.
    August grocery challenge: £8.65/£300

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. (attrib.) Benjamin Franklin
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Weekly shop done - £31.54. It would be nice to think I could get in a few NSDs till a mid-week top up. We'll see.

£38.59/£200
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • money_saving_hedgehog
    Options
    Just updating my spend this month total £55.66. This is high due to targeted shops for petrol coupons, and now have cereal to well last the month, Tea bags and pop using APG. I saved on my fuel £21.50, so I think it is fair to net this off against my grocery spend reducing it to £34.16.
    £2015 in 2015 (Although actual goal is £10 a day)
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    PhGage wrote: »
    It's not possible to cost my budget at present because half of an Approved Foods order is missing and I don't know if that part will end up being refunded or replaced so I can't put up the total yet.

I decided to experiment with some recipes for the £7 to feed 2 adults for 1 week challenge so needed to purchase some items that I hadn't planned.

The upside of the £7 challenge is that I've tried out a lot of recipes for dried marrowfat peas and chickpea flour: I'm also looking forward to a fresh peach after several days of eating on such a tight budget.

Spending this week: £8.65.
    I am sorry that it has cost you money, they are great posts and it will help me and many other families going through a rough patch. x
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I do not know if I am proud, embarassed or a mix of both.

I took the kids out for a couple of hours today and my body is so used to inactivity now that my back is in agony.

I asked my husband to go and get me some pain killers, co-codamol. We are all normally healthy so we did not have anything in. He went to Sainsburys and took our daughter age 15 with him.

She proudly burst in the door saying "Mam, I got over 2kg of fresh chicken for only 99p" She automatically went to the YS areas. She also knew that was a great YS price and told me of all the YS not worth it prices.:D
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income