PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another busy day today with birthday parties, church and dinner at FIL's. Though dinner meant a meal I didn't have to cook and a free meal :D and it gets even better as there was a load of beef left which he has given me, so that is Tuesdays dinner sorted. Tomorrows dinner will be the left over mince from the pack I defrosted on Saturday for DC1's and my dinner.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    SusanP wrote: »
    I am very annoyed that my bread seems to go mouldy before best before date :mad:Which I would use!

I wish I could figure out this a bit better, I have no idea how to do signature, so can't join in totally properly?!

I also got a golf bag free for OH today brand new, colleague had had it in their shed for 5 months and wanted to clear some space... Result! I didn't want not to do anything in return so made up old jam jars with some sweet treats and funky lid covers for his children... Rather OS I felt :o
    SusanP - I had the same problem, so now I freeze all my bread when I buy it and just keep about a third of a loaf of white and the same of wholemeal in bags in the bread bin. This lasts us two or three days then I take another third or so out to defrost.

To do your signature, go the the green bar near the top of the page and click on User CP. You will see a list on the left hand side. Click on Edit Signature and off you go!

Well done on the swapsies :T

NSD here today.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    becca-2012 wrote: »
    Hello, can I join you? Will just update in my sig. I am hoping to sort out my finances and think that £150 a month is doable for us. There is only me and my 2 little ones. Going to go for £70 for the rest of July but this will be easy as I have tonnes of food in.

Welcome to the thread Becca, good luck with your grocery challenge.

Thanks for the welcome back Suffolk Lass, good to be back here again.

Was wondering today how I am going to do the GC in Abu Dhabi. Should be interesting.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    NSD yesterday and should be today too....sports day too and doesn't look like that's going to be happening!
  • Mrs_Addicted_to_Spending
    Options
    Hi Becca-2012 - welcome to the thread.

I'm another one who freezes bread unless I know for sure it's going to be used within 2 days. I just take out what I need or if it's for packed lunches I just use it from frozen - it's defrosted by lunchtime and keeps everything fresh.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • sb88_2
    sb88_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking at revising my target for August!

The last two months I have gone over £130, I have a feeling this month it will be £160.

You all do so well with your budgets! I am not sure why I keep over running my grocery spend, so I am going to look at my recipts and see where I am spending too much.

Is there anyone else with a grocery budget for 2 ?

Had to sacrifice two chicken breasts last night, my dog has had an upset stomach and so has been on a diet of chicken and rice last night and today.
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We thoroughly b*gg**ed that up! £36 quid. Oh well, now we are watching what we are doing which is the main reason behind the lowish budget for us. And hopefully as we continue we will keep it down closer to the under £30. Hope everyone has a good week x
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Morning, I hope everyone is well.
    Keza, It sounds like your oven is cooking unevenly. It is free standing? If so put a spirit level on the top and turn the feet until it is level.
    If it is already level then I would put an empty baking sheet on the shelf below when you bake. That should solve it. Or to be more economical put a quiche or pizza on the shelf below that you want a firmer base on. :)

I need to update my signature with a £2.35p spend on milk and chocolate. I really need to stop spending for the rest of this month.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

About to catch up but posting my updates so far.

I have slightly overspent this w/e so only have £9.66 left from my 150 budget - this is for 2 adults and 2 kids less than 6 and includes everything.

Hope I can eek this out until 25th!

xx
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • keza
    keza Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb88 wrote: »
    I'm looking at revising my target for August!

The last two months I have gone over £130, I have a feeling this month it will be £160.

You all do so well with your budgets! I am not sure why I keep over running my grocery spend, so I am going to look at my recipts and see where I am spending too much.

Is there anyone else with a grocery budget for 2 ?

Had to sacrifice two chicken breasts last night, my dog has had an upset stomach and so has been on a diet of chicken and rice last night and today.

im a budgeter for 2! ours is £250 (£200 for me a DH and £50 for nappies and milk for William).

We used to have a budget of £130 like yours but that was 3 years ago. we have found the cost of food impossible to keep our budget any lower than £250 - this month it was £300! :eek: HTH xx
    Current Mortgage balance - £348,607.76/£395,999.
    Tesco - £9,757.91
    HSBC - £7,186.54
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family