I want to move to Scotland. Need Advice!

Options
123457»

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    Options
    scbk wrote: »
    There is an urban myth in the Highlands that Edinburgh is full of very good looking women.
    Unfortunatly, from what I've seen of the city, this isn't the case :(
    Nah you go to Lanarkshire for that :)
    x :p
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    bambammy wrote: »
    aaawwright, I didnae ken that like eh

fanks :D

:rotfl:

Hoots, mon, there'll be verra different beasties in the toon.... It's a right fankle to sort them oot. :eek:

Currently, my big quandary is whether I'm glaikit, wabbit or gallus... or simply barmy?! :D

PS: You're officially invited to the unofficial BAMPOTS do that might - just might - take place in the Lowlands in the spring of next year
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • goldspanners
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I grew up in Lanarkshire, right next to Bellshill and not far from Motherwell either!

FORGEWOOD!
    ...work permit granted!
  • Richard019
    Options
    We've come to the conclusion, the toffs of Edinburgh don't take likely to the English.

Only because they remind them of where they've come from. Every time I'm in Edinburgh it seems to be full of English people.
    When buying, Offers over, would be typically 15%.

In which area though? Further to my earlier comment, that figure varies both on location and on the estate agent in question. When I bought my place the average for the town was around 12% over. I got mine for 9% over (and it turned out at the actual valuation figure) and a workmate got theirs for 5% over. Having kept a record of the places I looked at certain trends appeared when their sales values, one agent regularly sold properties at 20%+ over sale price* where as others consistently gave more realistic asking prices.

*there was a rather heated phone call between them and my mum (who'd been helping me look) after they followed up a visit that knowing my budget they'd sent me on, to a flat that they'd blatantly undervalued to increase the interest that eventually went for around 30% over (on the 12% it would have been a stretch, but they were just taking the mick with it so I didn't even waste my time with a bid).
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FORGEWOOD!
    No, I grew up next tp Bellshill and not far from Motherwell but not in between the two iykwim. I was slap bang in the middle between B/hill, Motherwell, Hamilton, Glasgow so none of them were more than 20 mins away. Not really familiar with the residential areas of Motherwell, just the town, the Aquatec etc.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• MsChazzer
    Options
    OP, how are you getting on with your moving plan?

I live in Edinburgh (originally from Orkney and Yorkshire, bit of a mish-mash!) but would happily live in Glasgow as well, both have lovely areas and not so lovely areas, but property is cheaper over west.

Someone mentioned the food was awful, well yes, in takeaways it might all be deep fried but both cities have some amazing restaurants, food shops and delis. Both have farmers markets and a choice of organic box schemes.

If you're into live music, you really want to be handy for Glasgow, that's where nearly all touring bands stop off as Edinburgh doesn't have very good venues (new one opening up that's supposed to help though).

Shopping is probably better in Glasgow, high street-wise anyway but both cities have some lovely independent shops (Glasgow - West End, Edinburgh - Stockbridge, Bruntsfield, Morningside).

There seem to be differing opinions on whether the housing slump is hitting us much up here, I have noticed that property near me (I rent in a reasonably desirable area) has taken much longer to sell recently, with flats starting at offers over then going to fixed price.

I personally can't be doing with the whole Edinburgh vs Glasgow thing but then I'm not from either. Most of my friends in Edinburgh think Glasgow is great too. Come up and rent and see where you like. Both have pros and cons.
    Got married 23rd May 2009, many thanks to all on the Weddings and Anniversaries board for their help and support!
  • Angua2
    Angua2 Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    Hiyas - what about the Stirling area? Kinda north central beltish...??
    Still waiting for Dyson to bring out a ride-on hoover...
    Memberships:
    Bad Alba Mothers Purchase Only Tanqueray
  • Richard019
    Options
    I've just noticed OP is moving from Stoke, which I guess means the debate was laregley irrelevent. It's like somebody who normally goes to McDonalds asking the waiter in a restaurant whether they should try the rib eye steak or the sirloin.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure