I want to move to Scotland. Need Advice!

computerbar
computerbar Posts: 182 Forumite
Hello

Which town should I move, Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Any body please tell me which area in Edinburgh or Glasgow I shall looking to buy a nice house 2-3 bed. No too far from town-centre.

What are the house prices like?
How is the job market?

Thanks

Comments

• kw03cd
    kw03cd Posts: 87 Forumite
    House prices are cheaper in the Glasgow area than they are in Edinburgh and a lot of the suburbs have good transport links into the city. The job market is fairly good but you will find wages are lower than a lot of other places. A recent survey said we had a better standard of living than the south. ALthough wages are lower the cost of living is lower too even petrol is usually slightly cheaper. What type of work do you do. S1jobs is a good site for Glasgow area. S1homes is a good house site as well as Rightmove.
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    I would strongly advise renting somewhere until you get a feel for the place. Edinburgh and Glasgow are very different places and what would be ideal for one person would be a nightmare for someone else. There are also plenty of places which are on the outskirts of both cities which are great places to live.
  • WageSlave_3
    WageSlave_3 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Hi OP. As Beecher says, renting might be a better / safer option especially if you are selling a property in England. The laws governing property sales differ greatly between the two countries. I moved from England to Scotland last year and have mental scars from the experience of selling in England and buying in Scotland at the same time! I was fortunate with an understanding seller and the fact my buyer was not in a chain but I have heard a few horror stories from others.

Regards location, I live in neither now but have in the past. Edinburgh is absolutely fantastic and Glasgow is.... ummmmm, not. Sorry all the Weegies out there, it's just a personal opinion so please don't flame me! icon7.gif
  • beecher
    beecher Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    WageSlave wrote: »
    Regards location, I live in neither now but have in the past. Edinburgh is absolutely fantastic and Glasgow is.... ummmmm, not. Sorry all the Weegies out there, it's just a personal opinion so please don't flame me! icon7.gif

Wouldn't flame you but I hated every minute of my time in Edinburgh - just goes to show that the place any of us want to live in is likely to be very different from what the OP might want.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edinburgh all the way
    seriously,they are very different cities.
    ive lived and worked in both and would say edinburgh for me every time
    housing is much cheaper in glasgow(our poor cousins ;)
    in fact edinburgh is an expensive city for many things and house prices are still rising
    you would be far better finding work and renting,then seeing how you like it after 6 months or so
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OP what kind of work are you going to be looking for?
  • computerbar
    computerbar Posts: 182 Forumite
    thanks guys.
    Edinburgh is looking a good option.

I heard about house selling nightmare too. I'll be careful there.

I am gonna spend a week in Edinburgh before I move to assess the city.
    Which neighbourhood I should avoid in Edinburgh?

Just as we on the subject.
    What are the pro/cons living in Scotland comparing it with England?

frugallass: I interested in Finance/Accountancy/Auditing sector jobs.
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pros

I live 40 minutes away from mountains and 40 minutes away from the city, I've got the best of both worlds

The air quality is much better than where I lived in England

Some of the people - can be welcoming, kind and accommodating

The scenery - the further north you travel the more beautiful it becomes

Cons

The rain and drizzle (especially on the west coast)

Fish and Chips - have to travel miles to find a decent chippy (they don't do 'bits' either)

Some of the people (I stress the word 'some') in certain areas I have found it difficult to be accepted - 'incomers' are often frowned upon - someone once accused me of 'coming up here and taking all our jobs' my answer was 'because there aint no locals clever enough to do the job' - that shut them up
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Like any city there are areas to "avoid"

There are many nice towns/villages around both cities which can provide excellent housing and good transport links.

I know people who work in Edinburgh and live in Linlithgow, Dunbar, North Berwick, Stirling, Dunblane and even Glasgow
    Conversely some people working in Glasgow live in Falkirk, Stirling, Dunblane, Ayr, Largs, Helensburgh or Edinburgh.

Glasgow has the Underground (The clockwork orange) which may be expanded as in 2014 it is the host city for the Commonwealth Games.
    Edinburgh will have a new tram system - which is why at the moment driving anywhere near the centre can be a nightmare - it is being dug up!

TBH I would do a lot more research than just spending a week in a place before I thought of moving.

For Glasgow properties have a look here
    Edinburgh here

Also have a read at The Herald - for Glasgow and The Scotsman for Edinburgh
  • frugallass
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Come to Glasgow - you know you wanna ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing