Male collegue earns 10k more than me

Options

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I understand the points you are making, but having worked in the public sector for virtually all of my career I've never been able to get my head round the fact that many (or most?) private sector employees don't know (and aren't meant to know) what their colleagues earn. It always strikes me as distinctly odd.

I worked in the public sector for the last several years of my working life and didn't know what any of my colleagues were earning. I did, by pure chance, discover that somebody who started 3 weeks before me was earning several hundred pounds more than me. That was because they got the payrise which came into effect a week before I joined but I was on the bottom of the grade. I knew people who were near the top of the grade scale simply because they moaned so much about not getting a decent pay rise.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    lala9 wrote: »
    So my male counterpart appears to earn 10k more per year than me.

Are you saying that this person is only earning more because they are male?
  • lala9
    lala9 Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I understand the points you are making, but having worked in the public sector for virtually all of my career I've never been able to get my head round the fact that many (or most?) private sector employees don't know (and aren't meant to know) what their colleagues earn. It always strikes me as distinctly odd.

OP - do you know what the grade structure is? (ie how many pay points on each and what they are worth, how you progress - if at all - within a grade). What distinguishes the grade you are on from the grade your colleague is on? Assuming you are "allowed" to know what grade your colleague is on, you need to build a case arguing that your role should be on the same grade. Or that you personally bring so much to the role that you ought to be on a higher grade.

Do you work for the BBC...:)

Haha no I dont' work for the BBC. I have worked at this company for years with a short break returning in 2017 and started doing the job I'm doing now in 2018 as a stand in for the male in question who went off sick for 3 months, I was then given the job permanently, made formal in March last year. I work for a very large technology company and the pay grades are an enigma. When my job became perm I was promoted by two grades. This male had a previous job in a similar arena it could be argued he has more experience, BUT I have worked in the overall sector for 12 years now and worked in differing roles within, if that makes sense. I'm not mentioning the industry just in case someone is reading lol.

I argued the case for my salary to rise further when I was officially given the job last year, but they said I was new in to it (well, I had been doing it since August the year before lol) and that for me to gain a pay increase I would need to become qualified and pass an exam in a certain subject, which I have done so by the deadline they gave me.

We are about to embark on a project which involves learning and implementing a new tool, and it irritates me to think we are both at the same level of understanding right now 'zilch!' so why should one get paid more than the other. I guess that's life!!
  • lazer-zxr
    Options
    Doesn't it come down to the success of your negotiations when accepting the role / contract at first. If what you were offered was good enough to accept, but your colleague wanted more before getting the job, then you should both be content (you both accepted). If your colleague had a better negoition, then that all it is. This is very common in my line of work, I know lots of people doing the same job, all on different rates of pay because of the negotiations they went through. Similar to buying a car, some people are more successful at the negotiation stage, doesnt mean that if someone finds out they paid more for the same car, that those that paid more can go back and ask for some money back???
  • lala9
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    A few more details might help.

How long have you been there? Overall in this team 12 years with a short break of 2 years returning 3 years ago

Do you do the same job (not just job title)? E.g manage the same budget, clients, products, people, area, etc etc there are 4 processes we manage split between two of us, equally as challenging

Do you do the same hours? yes

Is there a bonus or commission element to your respective packages? No

What size employer is it? - e.g. are there females earning more than males on the same job title elsewhere in the company? Worldwide company, gender pay issue was addressed last year or so

What does your union say? They would be the natural route to challenge pay grades based on gender. I'm guessing they would suggest asking for a role review with benchmarking against similar roles within the organisation and industry - where the £10k would then be exposed. I need to investigate

If you have been there less than 2 years and you came by this information underhandedly, you may find yourself looking for a new job. The male indicated to me their salary I and I did the maths

Assuming the situation is as you've given and it is solely because of your gender, are you prepared to take your employer to a tribunal? Its not a quick solution.
    please see above
  • lala9
    Options
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    Doesn't it come down to the success of your negotiations when accepting the role / contract at first. If what you were offered was good enough to accept, but your colleague wanted more before getting the job, then you should both be content (you both accepted). If your colleague had a better negoition, then that all it is. This is very common in my line of work, I know lots of people doing the same job, all on different rates of pay because of the negotiations they went through. Similar to buying a car, some people are more successful at the negotiation stage, doesnt mean that if someone finds out they paid more for the same car, that those that paid more can go back and ask for some money back???

Our company doesn't work like that, there is a certain structure to payscales
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lala9 wrote: »
    Our company doesn't work like that, there is a certain structure to payscales

Maybe but there is nearly always a mechanism for paying some kind of enhancement, over and above the normal pay scale, when necessary. Sometimes it is the only way to recruit a suitable candidate at a particular time.

To have any chance of a successful claim you would need to show that gender was the only reason for some or all of the extra money. If he has certain different skills to yours, there may be valid reasons why those skills are rewarded more than others. Or, as I mentioned, when you were appointed there may have been lots of suitable candidates looking for your type of job. At another time a suitable candidate may be hard to attract.
  • Potbellypig
    Options
    kazmeister wrote: »
    If you share the same job title why would they not be the same grade?

The only time I have known this happen is in Accounting when you hold the role title but as you get more qualified your grade would change as would your salary.

If you feel you you have a case fur an equal pay claim then you would need to call ACAS but you might want to first understand why your role has the different grades.

Absolute load of tosh.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's the grade difference, especially if the grades have annual steps.

If a bank manager takes a job as a front counter member of staff they can't then complain that their supervisor is paid more because they're better qualified.

You get paid for the job you're doing, you got the job you've got. You didn't apply for your manager's job at the manager's salary.

That's the way jobs work.

You can prove yourself over time, perchance a promotion, or hope your manager leaves and get their job on their grade, but being a male manager and you being female has nothing to do with what he's paid or you're paid.

His job is different. He got his job, on his grade, because he applied for it. You applied for a different job, which you got - and are paid the rate for the grade.

Would you have rather they said "you're over qualified" and not given you any job?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Appears to earn £10K more than me

1 grade above me

4 years older

Different skills

Been in the job longer

(and perhaps he can spell "colleague")

You don't seem to be certain of the extra amount he earns and you have listed several reasons why he may be paid more. All of which can counter your accusation of gender pay discrimination.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure