FairFX should I be worried?

Options
I never used a prepaid travel card before but decided to give these guys ago after seeing an offer on MSE.

I'm worried now as after a search they seem to have so many negative reviews, mostly about pin codes not being right and effectively and getting locked out of accounts. Even more worrying seems to be customer service seems shocking.

I'm due to go away next week and worried.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Are you dependent on a single card? if so, that is folly.
    Have you tested the card in the UK before you leave or will you wait until you are abroad before checking that it works?
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Are you dependent on a single card? if so, that is folly.
    Have you tested the card in the UK before you leave or will you wait until you are abroad before checking that it works?

I have my UK Credit Card so wouldn't be stuck. Haven't checked the card, would they not charge me a fee in the UK for checking it?
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had a Fair Fx card for a few years with no issues.
    The advice above is spot on.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To check it just use an ATM, check it accepts the PIN and then cancel the transaction.
  • n1guy
    Options
    Thanks for advice all
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you get your skates on you should be able to get a Starling card in time by applying via smartphone or tablet.

If you live near a branch of Metrobank and are holidaying in the Eurozone you can get a card within the hour (so they say) of visiting the branch - if that scenario fits, best make an appointment and remember to take all the appropriate identity and proof of address paperwork.

Both these cards are fee free at ATMs - the former everywhere, the latter, as mentioned, in SEPA countries.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    I never used a prepaid travel card before but decided to give these guys ago after seeing an offer on MSE.

I'm worried now as after a search they seem to have so many negative reviews, mostly about pin codes not being right and effectively and getting locked out of accounts. Even more worrying seems to be customer service seems shocking.

I'm due to go away next week and worried.

https://www.fairfx.com/topcardtips
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had a FairFx card for a few years. I can honestly say I've never had an issue with it. Top ups are pretty instantaneous. I would certainly recommend them.
  • Rebecca_C
    Options
    I am on holiday in Boston USA but I live in the UK. I am here with my husband and son.
    We have preloaded a card from Fair FX with dollars to use on holiday to pay for our hotels and extras.
    We wanted to pay for our hotel but the card has been blocked by FairFX as apparently this constitutes usual activity( it begs the question why they would think a currency card may be required if not to pay for things whilst in the country that you preloaded for).
    I contacted FairFX to explain that my card was not being accepted by the hotel and asking for this to be resolved. Despite my email,some 12 hours or so later- allowing for differing time zones- FairFX saw fit to send me an email informing me of this ‘unusual activity’ and telling me that my card was now blocked.
    Forward to today, several emails and 2 phone calls to FairFX later- no response or assistance available at all apparently.
    We have paid for accommodation once again using our usual credit card which is reliable and fortunately does not find paying for a hotel room ‘an unusual activity.’
    There is no way that I would ever use FairFX again. I would also caution anyone travelling abroad not to rely on it as their only means of payment. We would have been in serious trouble here if we had no other payment cards with us and Fair FX have offered us no assistance whatsoever.
  • n1guy
    Options
    Rebecca_C wrote: »
    I am on holiday in Boston USA but I live in the UK. I am here with my husband and son.
    We have preloaded a card from Fair FX with dollars to use on holiday to pay for our hotels and extras.
    We wanted to pay for our hotel but the card has been blocked by FairFX as apparently this constitutes usual activity( it begs the question why they would think a currency card may be required if not to pay for things whilst in the country that you preloaded for).
    I contacted FairFX to explain that my card was not being accepted by the hotel and asking for this to be resolved. Despite my email,some 12 hours or so later- allowing for differing time zones- FairFX saw fit to send me an email informing me of this ‘unusual activity’ and telling me that my card was now blocked.
    Forward to today, several emails and 2 phone calls to FairFX later- no response or assistance available at all apparently.
    We have paid for accommodation once again using our usual credit card which is reliable and fortunately does not find paying for a hotel room ‘an unusual activity.’
    There is no way that I would ever use FairFX again. I would also caution anyone travelling abroad not to rely on it as their only means of payment. We would have been in serious trouble here if we had no other payment cards with us and Fair FX have offered us no assistance whatsoever.

This was my worry also. I was also planning on using it to pay for my hotel. I have read plenty of reviews like yours which is why I think once I reach my destination I am going to clear out as much as I can from ATM's and just use cash. I hope you get sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure