FRUGAL LIVING CHALLENGE part 3, July - Dec 2010

Options

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dramarama - I teach secondary! :) good luck for your interview, let us know how it goes!

Well, another NSD for me today :) and today went okay - my more challenging class were okay for the most part, though i still have some coming for a detention tomorrow!

I'm counting down the days until I get paid now as I want to make a good start for the wedding fund - it's very small at the moment!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • top_drawer_2
    Options
    hello everyone!

Its a little bit exciting (and a little frightening too) here. One of my housemates announced on Sunday that she is looking to move out to a house with a friend as she is no financially able too now. I was quite worried as I find new housemates very taxing; I dont particularly enjoy shared living and I really dont feel that I could cope with another influx ;((( But the HO from the housing association rang and has said that there is a flat coming available at the beginning of October in the city centre. It doesnt have any outside space with it unfortunately. But I really think its a chance that I won't get again soon. Financially I have upped the focus of job searching to try to get that 30ish hours (leaving me one day a week to work elsewhere in the CAB/volunteering for my longer term career aims) I am researching what benefits are available to help out too. I have just applied for a allotment so that I could keep up my garden too.

For the moment at least I am putting ideas of getting a bike on the back burner until I can afford it. The flat I am hoping to be offered is right behind the bus station, the train station will be about the same distance away too. Its not ideal (I am still stuck when I only want to go home for one day or Christmas etc but thats always been the case).

Today I met with a lady who works for a charity who I am interested in volunteering as a board member with, she has set me a task of finding funding for the charity which is a completely new experience. I also had a interview for a bank support worker which help towards my longer term objectives nicely. I have a interview with Morrisons which I hope could be flexible hours (ie leaving me a full weekday off or just doing 30 ish hours). According to my BIL Supermarket workers are paid £8-10 an hour which would be amazing!!

In terms of spending I am being very good ;)) I still havent done a budget as I already know I dont earn enough to cover everything; I rob Peter to pay Paul but least I had my first holdiay in 4 years! And things are going to be changing soon.

I hope things are well with everyone else. Did anyone go to the Prince Of Wales Garden party? Its been on in London awhile now and looked really good but my friend isnt interested in any of that stuff so we didnt go.

Kiwi - Hows things?

Jen
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    top_drawer wrote: »
    I have a interview with Morrisons which I hope could be flexible hours (ie leaving me a full weekday off or just doing 30 ish hours). According to my BIL Supermarket workers are paid £8-10 an hour which would be amazing!!
    Sorry to disappoint you on the pay.......

Morrisons starting rate of pay is £6/hour (assuming you're old enough for the highest rate of Minimum Wage), and rises to £6.12/hr after your 13 week trial.
    Cheryl
  • top_drawer_2
    Options
    lol thanks I wasnt banking on it either.
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Lidl do an £8-£10/hour wage but the other supermarkets are pretty near minimum wage. TD - Just wondering what is keeping you in your uni town? Would it be easier for you to get a job nearer your parents (not sure what your degree is in, sorry). Hope you finbd something soon, and that you get the flat you want
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • top_drawer_2
    Options
    Blairweech wrote: »
    I think Lidl do an £8-£10/hour wage but the other supermarkets are pretty near minimum wage. TD - Just wondering what is keeping you in your uni town? Would it be easier for you to get a job nearer your parents (not sure what your degree is in, sorry). Hope you finbd something soon, and that you get the flat you want

I prefer my uni town than where my parents live as its dead there; very few jobs. Plus my Mum and Step-dad and I dont get along - they spend a lot of their time drinking/going to the pub. When I am home they assume that its OK to watch my sister who is 17 and has downs syndrome. Its a bit of a nightmare and I was very grateful to get out.

We got the blustery weather today too Nuala. Bye bye summer :(

Jen
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    hi all,

TD hope all goes well with your planned move and job searching. You take care of yourself.

Moneyless week still ongoing.Had to cook some mackeral from the freezer for cat as run out of catfood. Drove about 40 miles today with petrol light on:eek: - I like to live dangerously;) this means no more car for rest of week so hope weather not too bad. DD2 had a bit of a moan about me not getting any food in as she gives me board. Claimed there was nothing for DGS for lunch, what she actually meant was there was nothing in the fridge that she could just throw onto a sandwich. I pointed out taht there was egg she could cook, jam, tinned corned beef. Also beans (on toast) or tinned ravioli or chilli or soup. She had a little mutter but heyho. They've all gone to ex OH for tea (they do every Weds) so not had to make tea for them. I had tinned chilli (UGH!!) glad I don't make a habit of eating the stuff, tinned soup I had for lunch not much better. Lesson1 - Maybe have to research store cupboard alternatives to tinned stuff:p

DS2 not happy at school been complaining of headaches the last couple of days and went off to school a bit teary this morning. Feel a bit helpless:(. I've decided to go part time from April - I'm on a fixed term secondment at mo until then. I may get kept on permanently in this post otherwise will go back to my previous post, either way will go part time so really need to look even more carefully at outgoings and ways of upping income if needed. Figure if part time I can spend more time trying out other ways of bringing in income and if it works out I can give up work completely and work for myself and then can homeschool DS.

So next challenge is coming up with ways of earning enough income to be able to give up work before Sept next year. I'm currently spending £500+ on paying debts, if I can up that a bit now I should be able to get them paid off within a year. So actively seeking extra income even more than before - signed up to do 2 mystery shops today. One tomorrow(also get a free lunch as it's a cafe) and one in a couple of weeks - that one has no fee but £15 to spend in a sports shop - so free xmas present for DS1there i think;).

Hope everyone is doing ok...

Jayne
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    top_drawer - Hope you find the right accommodation. Good luck in your job hunting.

Jayne - Wishing you well in your new challenge. Hope all goes well for you. Hope things at school get better for DS2. Is there any support/help from the school.

Must go through some paperwork to sort out. Am sure I can get rid of some of it.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm still reading all the time but feeling a bit rubbish so sorry for lack of individual replies. Am cheering and sympathising quietly from under my fleece rug though!

Nothing to report on the frugal front except that I will have to be extra careful with money as I'm feeling chilly a lot and I know I will have to give in eventually and put the heat on. For now, warm clothes and rugs are doing the job fine though.

Hug all round, hope everyone's well.

N x
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    NualaBuala - Sending hugs to you.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income