Paying off mortgage before 55 when single

Options

Comments

• Dalradian
    Dalradian Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ouch! Most of my shares are from the demutualisation of SL so regard them as a bonus when i get dividends through, the rest are in a stocks isa which is spreading the risk for me. Hopefully my company sharesave scheme will return a reasonable amount when it matures later this year - i don't like the thought of so much of my investments in one place.
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • Dalradian
    Options
    Did a bit of decluttering over easter - some old paintings and spare fabric went to the charity shop. Still have to get round to using the rest of my scraps i bought for a tenner to start learning to sew again. Maybe a pincushion would be good to start with? Or a patchwork.....something?
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • Dalradian
    Options
    I have a 2 year cash isa due to mature end of march next year from newcastle bs. Is it worth paying the penalty in interest and using it to set against my mortgage - or into my stocks ans shares isa. It was the "top" rate last year but was really peanuts esp after tax
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • MM10
    MM10 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would keep it till it matures since it's in a tax haven. I guess you have to look at the overall plan. For instance the isa could double as your emergency fund in the meantime ....
    Total mortgage when started £256,809 in May of 2011; 2018 MFW #5
    Main mortgage was £214,309; now [STRIKE] £110,716 at Feb 2016 [/STRIKE]; [STRIKE] £63,645 at Feb 2017 [/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]£10,600 at May 2018[/STRIKE]
    Original repayment date 2036; Main mortgage free date [STRIKE]July 2021[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]Dec 2020[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]January 2019[/STRIKE] June 2018:)
  • Dalradian
    Options
    i have money tucked away in high % current accounts that pay more than the isa. Since my income varies month to month and i can end up putting a lot on my credit cards for expenses, i am used to smoothing it out with having a cushion in my current account.
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • sarahevie1
    sarahevie1 Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm also single and trying to be MF, I think it can be challenging alone, not least because there's no second salary :)

Good luck
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Dalradian
    Options
    A while since i posted but been busy at work. Managed to pay off another £1500 but a leaky toilet is moving up my plans to remodel the bathroom.

I have a couple of large sales months which should give me some money for overpayments if my bathroom ambitions are not too extravegent. Have compromised and not booked a summer holiday just yet.

Had a lovely night out on friday at a gallery opening. Nice way to see friends and, as long as you aren't tempted to buy anything, a cheap night out!
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • happydays_70
    happydays_70 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Me too, with two kids in tow :)
    Good luck!
    Mortgage 22 years £190,419 at 2.84% fixed for 2 years from 1st July 2014

Mortgage 21 yrs 6 mths £186,059 as of February 2015

Mortgage 20 years 7 months £178,644.68 February 2016
  • Dalradian
    Options
    Just dumped 4 bags of clothes, books and picture off at charity shop. Have a couple of coats and original maps, paintings i want to sell, but the 2nd hand market seems very slow in edinburgh - i sometimes have problems even freecycling as people want things pristine, or lots of photos and then never turn up!

Will have to get off my backside and value them and figure out where to post them. Gumtree is better for bigger items and no fees but haven't used ebay for a while
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
  • Dalradian
    Options
    Hi happydays70 - good luck on your journey! It must be hard looking after the kids as well as keeping on top of work and finances
    Mortgage 2020 ~£127,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure