What has been your longest working day?

Options

Comments

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I once did a day trip to a meeting in Stockholm. Left home at about 3am to get to the airport for an early flight. All day in meetings. Customer took us for dinner afterwards, back to the airport for the last flight to London, landed about 1am and finally got home at about 3am, just about 24 hours after leaving the previous morning.

That was when I was much younger. These days I would insist on flying the evening before.

A couple of years back I got invited to the launch of Renault's new truck range in Lyons, got up about 4 a.m. off the the airport, fly over, mooch around the new trucks, dinner, big evening show and finally to the hotel about 02.00, then up at 06.00 and head to the airport for 09.00.

Naturally being France there was an air traffic controllers strike and we didn't fly till the afternoon. At least I wasn't suffering a mega hangover unlike some of the other attendees;)
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Worked in a full time job from 7am to 4pm, then did office cleaning from 4.30pm until 6.30pm and then off to a pub job from 7pm to 11pm. Every weekday evening for months. Was exhausting but money was needed.

OK, not strictly working all of those times as travelling from one job to the other.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I take it that was in pre-tachograph days.

Or it wasn't in a vehicle that required one, i.e a van.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »
    Three 12hr shifts back to back - severe staffing issues where a nasty tummy bug ripped through everyone.

I was covered on each shift for a pushed together three-hour break when it was the only time cover could be provided and i took the opportunity to sleep - fitfully.

I was ok till 0400 on the last morning when I went a little bonkers - but pushed through to the 0800 handover. I was driven home.

That sounds like healthcare.
    Totally unsafe.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    36, 33 hours non stop driving and 3 hours admin. Like others , went to bed and couldn't get to sleep.

Totally unsafe, you could have killed people.
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Totally unsafe, you could have killed people.

And one of the many benefits of being 30 years older now means that I'd not do that again, but that's youth and stupidity for you.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Was at a service users home over 48 hours as folk kept calling in sick. I think by the time I made it home it was over 52 hours out the door. Plus I didn’t have a lot of food on me so ate bits. Did sleep too, but it felt never ending
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2019 at 1:12PM
    Options
    About 10 years ago.

Left home at 6AM to get in to the office for 6.30
    Worked my standard 8.5 hour day until 3.30PM then immediately drove down to Birmingham arriving at 7.30PM and went straight cut on an overnight shift on the M62 which finished at 4AM the next morning.

Drove straight back up to Newcastle and arrived back at the office at around 8AM then did another full days work, returning home at about 5.30PM.

So I make that about 35.5 hours home-to-home without sleep or a "non meal" break according to my mental arithmetic.

I've also done at least 5 "through the night" shifts when large tenders were being compiled leaving work at some point the following work day, but that didn't have an outdoor night shift and 8 hours of driving included so was "relatively" easy. :D

112.5 hours is my record for most hours worked in a single 7 day period.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    vacheron wrote: »

Left home at 6AM to get in to the office for 6.30
    Worked my standard 8.5 hour day until 3.30PM then immediately drove down to Birmingham arriving at 7.30PM and went straight cut on an overnight shift on the M62 which finished at 4AM the next morning.

The M62 is nowhere near Birmingham? Unless there’s some other meaning for M62 that I’ve never heard of?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    22 hours on the shop floor at Christmas. I've done loads of all nighters in retail, slept on the shop floor. Strangely I really miss some of it. Now days ten hours in the office is a big day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure