Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• NNI
    NNI Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, molerat. Makes sense. I still benefit by £250. I should have figured it out myself. In fact, I only added "I pay Scottish tax" because I was wondering if that could be the reason. Now I think about it, I vaguely remember the 1190 being amended at some point last year, presumably to 1134, but I didn't query it then.
  • NNI
    NNI Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another thought, molerat. The Scottish government made a big song and dance about helping the low income families by reducing the basic rate of tax from 20% to 19% ( but only on the first £2000 of taxable income). This works out at £20 a year, or 38p a week. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NNI wrote: »
    Another thought, molerat. The Scottish government made a big song and dance about helping the low income families by reducing the basic rate of tax from 20% to 19% ( but only on the first £2000 of taxable income). This works out at £20 a year, or 38p a week. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!

Follows a long tradition.

Remember Gordon Brown's 75p state pension rise?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options

You will be pleased to know that they have increased the £2,000 band to £2,049 for the 2109:20 tax year. Your 38p/week is going to soon be 39p/week.

Obviously if you earn enough the Scottish intermediate rate band ending at £43,430 compared to £50,000 for the rest of the UK may rapidly bring you down to earth :o
  • BarbaraT16
    Options
    Will Marriage allowance threshold for the higher earner change along with the new £50,000 higher tax threshold next month.? On the government site it does not mention this and is not worded that the allowance is related to a higher tax band, rather, it just states the amount.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BarbaraT16 wrote: »
    Will Marriage allowance threshold for the higher earner change along with the new £50,000 higher tax threshold next month.? On the government site it does not mention this and is not worded that the allowance is related to a higher tax band, rather, it just states the amount.
    Provided you will be only a basic-rate taxpayer you should qualify.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • ikib
    ikib Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mates wife has been sectioned, she has never worked. Is there a way he can get part of her allowance?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ikib wrote: »
    My mates wife has been sectioned, she has never worked. Is there a way he can get part of her allowance?
    Sorry to hear of your mate's and his wife's situation.

My guess is that your mate would probably need Power of Attorney over his wife's financial affairs and this will need to have been set up before she was sectioned.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • JohnJ60
    JohnJ60 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all
    We have claimed marriage allowance for a few years as my wife was working part time but our circumstances have change and her income is now equal to mine. We are looking into cancelling the allowance and were wondering if it is best done now or at the start of the new tax year?

We are also trying to take into account that I will retire in a few years and due our age gap my wife will continue working for quite a few years after my retirement.Thanks in advance.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 23 March 2019 at 2:21PM
    Options
    her income is now equal to mine.
    It probably makes no difference to the tax being paid overall then. But if your wife would prefer to have her full Personal Allowance again then she can only do this from the start of the next tax year.

So do it today and you both go back to normal from 6 April 2019 - she gets the full personal Allowance and you lose the Marriage Allowance tax deduction.

Wait until 6 April and it would only change from 6 April 2020 so you have another tax year with Marriage Allowance in place.

You should ensure your wife sorts this. If you, as the recipient of Marriage Allowance, ask for it to be changed then it will go all the way back to the first year your wife applied and you will have to pay back any tax benefit you personally have received.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback