Buying Euros for Sicily - best to buy here or there?

Options
I need to buy some Euros for a trip to Sicily next month (Siracusa). Does anyone know how tourist rates in Sicily compare with those in the UK?
Also, does anyone know whether UK chip and pin cards are accepted widely in Sicily?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UK debit and Credit cards can be used everywhere in Italy, chip n pin and contactless, same as local ones.

You don't need to buy any euros, keep your money in pounds with the suitable fee-free cards for travel (see MSE info), which convert at the ideal rate when used for purchases or withdrawing cash from ATMs. Best current choice is Starling Bank.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I'll need cash for parking as we'll be renting a car and needing to park up at various places in Syracuse/Ortigia, Taormina, Modica, Noto, etc. I believe that many/most parking machines accept cash only?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just take some cash euros from an ATM in Italy, exactly as you would in UK when you need some cash pounds. You will find ATMs at your airport of arrival already. You can use your regular card(s) or avoid their probable fees by obtaining 'travel' cards. The hassle and expense of exchanging cash is for mugs.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/
    Evolution, not revolution
  • itm2
    Options
    I do have Halifax Clarity, FairFX and Revolut cards (it's too late to apply for any of the others mentioned in your link, as we're travelling in 7 days' time). Would the cash withdrawal rate on the Halifax Clarity card be alot better than the best rate I can get in the UK (using TravelMoneyMax search results)?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    itm2 wrote: »
    I do have Halifax Clarity, FairFX and Revolut cards (it's too late to apply for any of the others mentioned in your link, as we're travelling in 7 days' time). Would the cash withdrawal rate on the Halifax Clarity card be alot better than the best rate I can get in the UK (using TravelMoneyMax search results)?

The difference between the best card and the best UK money changer will be around 2%
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Visited Italy a few weeks ago. UK rate was about 1.06, Italy 1.03. Withdrawing cash was an option, but we found very few actual bank branch ATMs with free withdrawals, most were machines in stores which charged a withdrawal fee.

Chip and pin and contactless were widely accepted, although some stores can't see much contactless use as they looked as though it was black magic when I just waved my card to pay!
  • itm2
    Options
    Hmmm...the previous two posts seem to contradict each other, suggesting that it is by no means certain that I'll get a better rate from an ATM in Sicily than a forex agency in the UK? Presumably the rate will vary depending on which ATM I use, so the rate that I get would be pot luck?
  • itm2
    Options
    I just posed a similar question on Tripadvisor, and have been told that many Italian banks charge fees for ATM withdrawals, as well as having lousy exchange rates. Who sets the exchange rate and fees when using an ATM - is it the card provider or the bank whose ATM you are using?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Withdraw in Euros , no local conversion , it's your card that sets the exchange rate not the ATM

ATM usage fees are set locally , your card does not charge if a travel card so any fee is for using that ATM
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • itm2
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Withdraw in Euros , no local conversion , it's your card that sets the exchange rate not the ATM

Does the ATM provider set the transaction fee?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure