Ryanair issue - not compensation

Options
My flights were cancelled by Ryanair and I was given the options of a) rearranging or b) a refund. I found some suitable flights to another airport and rang Ryanair to swap the flights. They swapped them but my new flights were cheaper and they wouldn't refund the difference. I knew they were cheaper because I'd made a note but Ryanair didn't tell me before they did the swap. In hindsight I should have asked for a refund and then rebooked the flights myself but I assumed (wrongly!) that I would get the difference back. They have refused to refund the difference and wouldn't cancel the booking so I could rebook. I've complained but just get the standard reply about not being entitled to compensation which isn't what I'm asking for. Has anyone had the same experience and been successful in getting a refund for the difference in flights costs?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Rynair response is correct. Just be happy that you have only paid Ryanair prices and yet will be enjoying the luxury of a non-Ryanair airline.
  • Jackiesct1
    Options
    If only! My new flights are with Ryanair :)
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How much cheaper are we talking?

Given that this has happened in the past and you are likely to end up with some back and forth with RyanAir, if a few GBP£/EUR€, it might not be worth any protracted battle.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say that the replacement flights were "to another airport". Under the rules on re-routing, Ryanair have to get you to your original destination. Once they have laid on a bus or taxi, the total cost is likely to be more.

I hope that you insisted on transport to the original airport (unless that is something you do not actually want).
  • Jackiesct1
    Options
    It's £50. I know what you're saying tho.
  • Jackiesct1
    Options
    They said I would have to provide proof of any expenses ie extra travel and claim it back afterwards. The conversation was going nowhere. I asked to speak to a manager and was told there wasn't one. I asked for a refund and was told they don't do refunds or cancellations. I can't be the only one this has happened to surely.
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    I have just had 4 flights cancelled by Ryanair.
    I had a feeling that what happened to the OP might occur so I just asked for a refund for them all.
    To be honest the refund for each flight was processed & back on my credit card the same day.
  • Jackiesct1
    Options
    That's exactly what I should have done! Probably a bit foolish of me to assume they would give me back the difference. We live and learn :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure