How to fix this screw?

Options

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

it looks like a very flimsy plastic seat, so need to know what the screw is going into under the seat.

CHAIR.jpg
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I figured out there supposed to be a bolt there but for some reason now the screw cannot protrude enough for a bolt to be fixed.

Can I take measurements of the screw and give them to a shop online and send me relevant screws and bolts?

And how can I make sure that the bolt won't unscrew again?
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

can you give us a picture of the underside?
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Actually I figured out there supposed to be a bolt there but for some reason now the screw cannot protrude enough for a bolt to be fixed.

Can I take measurements of the screw and give them to a shop online and send me relevant screws and bolts?

And how can I make sure that the bolt won't unscrew again?

Be sure to take measurements of one of the other bolts a reference of what works on the other three legs - post the info here - although as others have said, if you can manage it, a photo might be better
    as technically screws & bolts are different means of fastening things - you use a nut and bolt or you use a screw, depending on what you're trying to connect together

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm the screw is like this:

https://unsee.cc/0b1f753f/

So, I assume the turns are still fine and only the bolt is missing. But how can I secure the bolt so that it won't get lost again?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    So it's a bolt, can't really tell whether M5 or M6. Only has a thread on the last 12mm so of the shaft, which looks very tired.

A standard M5 pozi (or M6 if it's actually M6) x 60mm might do the trick (with nut & sprung washer of course)

Anyone else agree..?

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So it's a bolt, can't really tell whether M5 or M6. Only has a thread on the last 12mm so of the shaft, which looks very tired.

A standard M5 pozi (or M6 if it's actually M6) x 60mm might do the trick (with nut & sprung washer of course)

Anyone else agree..?

Agree. Difficult to make out the diameter though. As you say, M5 / M6

If it keeps coming undone I'd use a "self locking" nut. Sometimes called a "Nyloc" nut.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2019 at 8:04PM
    Options
    Just to add my pennyworth. I would use a nyloc nut or locking compound (loctite or similar). I would not use a spring washer as these have been shown to not work in most cases, and can actually make the locking of nut and bolt less effective.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    HappyUser wrote: »

So, I assume the turns [thread] are still fine and only the bolt [nut] is missing. But how can I secure the bolt [nut] so that it won't get lost again?
    Either buy a locking nut or cover the thread in glue. PVA or wood glue might work. As a replacement nut will only be a few pence buy a few so if it does vanish you will have a spare.
    If you've any diy friends or family its likely they've got a tub of nuts, ask them.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    B_G_B wrote: »
    Just to add my pennyworth. I would use a nyloc nut or locking compound (loctite or similar). I would not use a spring washer as these have been shown to not work in most cases, and can actually make the locking of nut and bolt less effective.

I'd say Nyloc is a good call, I've used M3 versions and they just won't come loose (the old skool alternative being the use of two standard nuts instead of one)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure