PPI Financial Ombudsman Service

Options
Hi,

I had a call today from the Financial Ombudsman service telling me that I have £3000 owing to me from an old bank loan. I don't remember ever filing for this because the loan was in both mine and my ex husband's name. The guy was not English, but gave me an English name. He asked me to confirm details which was just my name and address, which he had anyway, and when he gave me the choice, I opted for a cheque. He sent an email to my partner's email (I said I didn't have one!) confirming all the details. He said the cheque would be sent out tomorrow but will call in the morning. There is no link to click on in the email. Is this somehow a scam? I didn't give any details and wouldn't even tell him my date of birth. I have emailed the Ombudsman through the actual site, but I am worried about what tomorrow will bring :/ Any advice?
Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes. Stop giving away details to people who phone up offering money.

Your partner will start receiving emails with lots of new and exciting opportunities in them - probably starting with an admin fee that needs to be paid to make sure the cheque gets there ok. Don't pay it.
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. Stop giving away details to people who phone up offering money.

Your partner will start receiving emails with lots of new and exciting opportunities in them - probably starting with an admin fee that needs to be paid to make sure the cheque gets there ok. Don't pay it.

Oh, I wouldn't lol, I'm not that stupid! It's an email he doesn't really use, which is why I didn't give mine, and I didn't tell him anything he didn't already know. I was just wondering if it was legit. £3000 would be nice! lol :beer:

• Dia_Pita
    Dia_Pita Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi as far as I am aware The Ombudsman Service do not issue any cheques. Any PPI refund would be confirmed in writing in the post (not email) by the relevant Bank/ or loan provider.

It think this is a scam.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It think this is a scam.
    It definitely is
    Is this somehow a scam?
    It definitely is
    £3000 would be nice! lol
    That's how the scam works, they rely on your greed.
    The Ombudsman Service do not issue any cheques
    Exactly!

Don't get suckered . . .
  • jetty
    Options
    It definitely is

It definitely is

That's how the scam works, they rely on your greed.

Exactly!

Don't get suckered . . .

Wow, greed?? My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive :wall:

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2018 at 9:26PM
    Options
    I had a call today from the Financial Ombudsman service telling me that I have £3000 owing to me from an old bank loan.

That is not wording the FOS would use. Plus, they would normally communicate in writing or via email. This would be after they introduced themselves as your case handler and after your complaint had been rejected by the bank and you had then requested the FOS look at it.
    The guy was not English, but gave me an English name.
    They always do. I find that bit funny. Did he also tell you he was from microsoft and you had an error on your computer? Or that the Govt had changed some rules and "insert scam of the month in here"?
    He sent an email to my partner's email (I said I didn't have one!) confirming all the details.

did the email address come from the FOS domain or spoofed?
    Is this somehow a scam?
    of course it is. Unless you have contacted the FOS, they would not be in contact with you. Plus, the money never comes from the FOS. The bank contacts you on instruction from the FOS to arrange the redress. Typically arrives about 2 weeks to 3 months after the FOS decision.
    Wow, greed?? My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive

It was an explanation of how most scams succeed. They play to the greed of the individual. Its not a personal attack. They want you to be blinded by greed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jetty wrote: »
    My partner has just lost his job, so yeah, playing on my "greed" not my will to survive
    The point is they don't care about your personal circumstances. You are told you will receive thousands of pounds and (for whatever reason) you want this money. You are then lured into paying an "administration fee" and, of course, no cheque ever materialises.

The Ombudsman doesn't issue cheques, it can only instruct banks to make payments to customers who they deem have been mis-sold or unfairly treated.

Don't be suckered into giving any personal information at all to cold callers, if you do then you'll invariably regret it.
  • societys_child
    edited 12 March 2018 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Wow, greed??
    Yes! You are concentrating on the fictitious £3K and ignoring the very obvious scam. The definition of that is g r e e d. Sorry, but that's how it works.
    Banging your head against the wall, won't change anything. :(
  • jetty
    Options
    I am not fixated on anything. I have not given any personal details out (as stated). Yeah, I said it would be nice, but I am under no illusion which is why I asked if this was a scam. I have even emailed the ombudsman. I was just thinking some kind person might be able to just say yes or no without passing judgement or telling me I am greedy.

This place has seriously gone down hill.

• societys_child
    Options
    You've taken it as an insult, now please, stop and think! There's no £3k . .

Hey, we've all been there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport