Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jetty wrote: »
    I was just thinking some kind person might be able to just say yes or no without passing judgement or telling me I am greedy.
    No one is passing "judgement". We are just informing you that you won't be getting any money.

You HAVE given out personal information in the form of an E-Mail address which will now be open to further such scams and Spam. It doesn't matter that the E-Mail address is "little used", you still gave it out.

Understanding why people fall for these scams is the best way of ensuring that it doesn't happen to you. Admit to yourself why you were keen to believe there might be any truth in this and stop accusing those who have replied here of attacking or judging you.
    I have even emailed the ombudsman.
    The Ombudsman will just reply thanking you for informing them of the attempted scam, but you still won't be getting any money.
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't expecting any money!!!!!! Your last sentence was a judgement. Anyway, thanks for your unhelpfulness.

Just an update: they rung back today and my partner spent 15 minutes on the phone with the same guy asking him why he was scamming people, very deep conversation that ended with the guy apologising and crying that he needed to feed his family, if he had one.

Once again, thanks for the unhelpfulness and I wish you all well :beer:
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It must be snowing again. I am certainly seeing snowflakes here.
    Just an update: they rung back today and my partner spent 15 minutes on the phone with the same guy asking him why he was scamming people, very deep conversation that ended with the guy apologising and crying that he needed to feed his family, if he had one.

Don't engage with fraudsters. Be very unBritish and hang up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wasn't expecting any money!!
    So why did you E-Mail the Ombudsman asking if there could be money forthcoming?

If you are struggling financially, I suggest you seek assistance on the "Debt Free Wannabe" board of this forum. The posters there are well versed giving debt help in a non judgemental manner. They won't "attack" you and certainly won't accuse you of being greedy or stupid.

In future don't believe anyone who cold calls you with offers of "free" money. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

You were very quick to tell others here that they were "unhelpful". I recommend you apply this tactic to the scammers. You will certainly now receive further calls, so be prepared.

This is the PPI board. I wish you only well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure