Girlfriend won't sell her house

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think you need to break this down into logical chunks.
    there is a lot going on and it may be that the goal needs to be tackled a step at a time rather than trying the big hit.

Start with the house that is part owned by the GF.

Why can't you as a family use the house that is sitting empty?
    (location/size...?)

What's the current deal on the house that is empty?
    (Value, mortgage, rate, term payment, other details)

Could either owner take over on affordability?
    (GF not, what about the ex)
    Would they want to?

Would you(as you or as a family) want to buy it?

There are related questions on the history like how long did each party live there, how do they own the house TIC or joint, what has each paid etc.
    The key is would you even want the place as that decide the initial approach taken.

Then there is your finances(without the GF)

How big a deposit do you have.
    What do you earn
    What could you afford to buy
    This could be a sticking point with 3/4 dependants.

The joint finances can't be looked at properly until the house is sorted but with 2 days a week unless a big earner it won't make a massive difference.

Then there are the goals and any plan to achieve them
    for your family it will also depend on the kids ages if there are key points like schools to consider.

Yours seems to be buy a house now but that is not realistic yet.
    You need to accept that and look for the steps to get you there.
    Say a 3-5 year plan, that can tackle the steps needed to make it happen.

What are the GF goals, where does she want to be in 3-5 years, if it is not in a house that you buy together then that help develop your plan.
    If she does want that, then you can talk about the steps needed to get there.

The ex what are their goals, relating to the house are the ones you are interested in do they fit with your goals, what do you need to do to get those plans in line with yours.
    (this could be complicated if the ex is in a new relationship)

Stepping back the key problem here is the house and currently it appears no one but you are bothered by it

The GF costs her nothing so why bother if it means dealing with an ex of 10 years ago.

The ex he pays the bills but as he has moved away seems to not care.

Empty house can soon become a liability.
    How long has it been empty?

Someone(the owners) need to put some effort in to move this forward.

I think the key here is who wants the place and why.
    Does the GF talk to the Ex about the place?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2019 at 8:50AM
    Options
    No she can't afford to buy it. She only works two days a week. I could both aford it though. I pay all the rent here which is 1150 per month. The mortgage is 670.
    I dunno why he's left it empty ? Don't make sense to me. Hes staying rent free at his nans house as he's moved away.

"Can she just get herself removed. Not unless he agrees and the mortgage co agrees." You said this but wouldn't it work the other way round too?? He can just come off the mortgage if he agrees and the mortgage company?
    Since your gf only works 2 days a week there's no way she can afford the mortgage on this house is there?! And for him to come off means she woudl now own it. Why woudl ex giveback that to her after all these years of paying the mortgage ? So that's why it wouldn't work the other way round. Only way of him "coming off" would be to sell it.

Why would I think about marriage while she's got a house with her ex? We had kids quite early and it wasn't really an issue as I wasn't thinking about buying and I thought by now it would be sorted. ... Don't think this is about me not asking her to marry me. He hasn't attempted to sort house either... And I won't be asking him either lol

Because that would perhaps be the catalyst for her to want to start the financial disconnect between her and ex , and for you and her to buy a place together .
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But I can't even get her to talk to the bank or mortgage company let alone her ex about getting their house sorted in some capacity.

What do you think is the reason for that? Could it be that it's not fear of commitment, but rather sticking her head in the sand because she knows it'll be a bit of a mess to untangle? Just bringing this up because I know a lot of people have that approach to dealing with problems (I definitely once put off some immigration paperwork for about a year and a half just because the longer you leave it, the more it feels like an insurmountable task).

Clearly not providing a solution here, just trying to see where this situation stems from.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • Chrislaw1984
    Options
    The landlord is a multi millionare who I pay rent directly too. Also he does not have mortgage on the house. He's getting more use out of my money that I am. Put it that way.
  • Chrislaw1984
    Options
    I believe the same. And I try and support but the more I push the more she thinks I'm being a !!!! and pushy. Which I don't get I've waited and been patient for long enough
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The landlord is a multi millionare who I pay rent directly too. Also he does not have mortgage on the house. He's getting more use out of my money that I am. Put it that way.
    Irrelevant.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 May 2019 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Partner doesn't want to be part of the new house, nothing you can do about it, save more, improve your career and buy a house yourself and reap the benefits yourself.

Ensure you get a pre nup/legal advice if you do marry so she does not benefit from your hard work no thanks to her.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • ToxicWomble
    ToxicWomble Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Pre nups aren’t legally enforceable in this country.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I believe the same. And I try and support but the more I push the more she thinks I'm being a !!!! and pushy. Which I don't get I've waited and been patient for long enough

In which case OP, sounds to me as if you've been a sperm donor and no more. She's quite content, got the kids she wanted, got someone paying for accommodation for her, does a few hours a week for niceties, not interested in anything more permanent with you (and if she did, she's probably get the house anyway if / when you split up)

You seem to be in a Catch 22 situation with little way out. You've stitched yourself up good and proper having 3 kids and the long term financial commitment that involves. You might want to look at saving up, buying a little flat (because you wont be able to afford anything larger) and moving out into that and moving her and kids into a cheaper place.
  • Chrislaw1984
    Options
    I'm not gonna ask her to marry me just to get her to sell her house. If I'm honest I don't need to get married and im not going to get married.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure