PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No viewings in 6 weeks, drop price?

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2018 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Only post a link if you want pages of people critiquing paint colours and photography skills.

It's the price. If it's not the price, it's the price.

Have to disagree, if the vendor/ EA aint bothered why should I? I usually set a budget and short list houses/flats based on floorplan, pictures and looks before calling viewings. It's more than just price. Would you view a house based on price without looking at the pictures?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only post a link if you want pages of people critiquing paint colours and photography skills.

It's the price. If it's not the price, it's the price.

I partially agree. It's price more than 90% of the time, but we do get howlers. No floorplans, no room dimensions, photographs of skid-marked toilets.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless a house is absolutely where I know I want to be, looking like I want my house to look, in my budget.... if there's no floorplan then I'm a bit more disinterested.

I want to see/know the layout and what to expect BEFORE I hit the photos....
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I want to see/know the layout and what to expect BEFORE I hit the photos....

I agree. Floorplan is by far the most important to me. From that I can tell how I can live in it. Photos just show the condition, which is relevant but rarely the deciding factor.

If it's a flat like this one is, I also really value a photo of the outside building.
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    You're mad if you don't think marketing can make a difference.

It won't add thousands to the value, but it can get people in the door if the price is in the right ballpark.
    We had the worst Rightmove pics of all time, on a sunny day, it looked like they had been taken during a nuclear explosion. We are in our new home, while there are still houses up who were on the same time as us, holding out for an extra ten grand.

It's the price.
    Been away for a while.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad to see that the advice on here is getting much more realistic than it used to be.
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    Glad to see that the advice on here is getting much more realistic than it used to be.

You would be disappointed to know we ignored the first agent who wanted us to market it at what we thought it was worth. Went on for ten grand more and accepted ten less than asking price. We got the price we wanted and the buyer was happy to get ten grand off.
    Been away for a while.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would be disappointed to know we ignored the first agent who wanted us to market it at what we thought it was worth. Went on for ten grand more and accepted ten less than asking price. We got the price we wanted and the buyer was happy to get ten grand off.

How long ago was this?
  • Running_Horse
    Options
    Moved in July. A slightly cheaper and bigger than average 3 bed family house in a popular area.
    Probably could have held out for a bit more, but we wanted to move in time for the new school year. Think those who haven't sold by now will be contemplating a very quiet winter.
    Been away for a while.
  • big5
    big5 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    Think those who haven't sold by now will be contemplating a very quiet winter.
    Not necessarily. We moved 6 years ago and put our house on the market in September, accepted an offer on it that week, and found the house we wanted to buy in October. Not everyone wants to or is able to move in the summertime.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure