PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had an early lunch... 1 toasted bread crust, half a tin of beans and a heap of grated cheese that I bought 4 hours ago.

Filling, hot, tasty. Little washing up.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Caron one very nice Syrup loaf sampled, still warm. I made the greedy guts 2lb size, mainly 'cos I only have 2lb tins and CBA to try & divi it up

I think some ginger would go well in there, but being ex WW2 recipe no doubt that was not readily available

I've cobbled together a spud salad for tonight, added some frozen peas and same of sweetcorn

Sun's out now, quite warm out there, quick spin round garden, some of the dahlias have been bashed about but otherwise OK
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    edited 20 July 2019 at 5:07PM
    Options
    I got one of the portions of steak pie from the freezer and I made some mash, then stuck it in the fridge to nuke later with the pie.

The pie's cooking right now and as I stood beside the pie, with the mash, expecting to put it into the nuker, I thought "I'll have a bit of that". I've always loved cold mash ... and then I thought "why re-heat it? just have cold mash with hot pie/gravy".

So that's the plan.

Pie/mash will be served in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Did that, utterly gorgeous :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Three dds came for lunch so I made a large steak and onion pie, actifry potato wedges and cabbage with apple and onion which they all seemed to enjoy. Gave middle dd half of the pie to take home for her and fiance so they had an easy meal. She reckons I have bought so much stuff it is a duty to help me out by taking some when offered like dish and laundry liquids, kitchen roll etc. I shared my theory that prices are going up and pack sizes are getting smaller so it was sensible to stock up when there was a good deal but I don't think she was convinced.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    That sounds like my kind of cooking whmf - bung it and take it from there:).
    Glad the loaf worked for you Farway - yes I can see some added ginger working well.:)
    With you on the cold mash PN, mind I just love mash in guise.;):D
    SD loaf is shaped and in the fridge:), not sure it's my best effort as the "wonky donkey" is tapping :( but we'll see how it bakes tomorrow.
    It was lovely and sunny for a couple of hours, my sis popped round and we sat in the garden with a cuppa enjoying the weather, however no gardening done as I've run out of sit down jobs to do and couldn't face standing to dead head the wall baskets so a task for another day.
    Lunch was a large bowl of salad veg with the LO chicken/roast veg, very ripe avocado and ceasar dressing on top. It was scrummy :D. Freezer rake for dinner possibly involving beans, oven chips and something beige;).
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    With you on the cold mash PN, mind I just love mash in guise.;):D

I've always loved mash. School dinners, slightly lumpy, mash and home made mash which was a knob of marg, tiny splash of milk and then mashed down with a simple masher.

I don't bother with milk these days myself, just potato and a knob of butter.

When I've had mash "out", or seen it in supermarkets it's closer to wallpaper paste in my opinion and I really don't like that consistency.

I like a nice, simple, fairly dry textured mash, with texture. I use a fork to mash mine due to quantities involved being small.

One meal I've had in the past, made deliberately, and enjoyed thoroughly, was simply sliced carrots, sliced swede, a pile of mash and gravy!

It's up there in my "dream meals" list :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    5:2 Diet.

I nodded off on the sofa, having set up iPlayer to watch something that caught my eye.... and when I woke up, as iPlayer was on auto play, it'd just kept playing random programmes after the one I'd chosen.

I woke up close to the end of some Horizon programme, where Michael Mosley was looking at ageing/diets and had gone to America and the programme I woke up to had him testing his blood levels for critical stuff, then he did a 3½ day fast and tested again. All his "bad readings" had dropped and he was impressed, but didn't think he could ever go through that again and the man in America said he'd have to do it once every 2 months for life to maintain those significant results.

So he tried other research/methods.

The next one he tried was Alternate Day Fasting (ADF). Eat 400-500 cals a day (women) or 500-600/day (men) one day - and the next day eat what you want. The scientist there had him fast one day - and the next they were pigging out in a Drive Through Burger place. He found this one more appealling than the 4-day fasts.

Then he wanted to explore more and tried the 5:2. He tested before and afterwards and found his important body readings had improved signficantly and he was probably avoiding becoming diabetic and other stuff (stuff that his father died of). Although he found this one harder (especially when with other people, e.g. on a walking holiday), he thinks the 5:2 Diet is probably his chosen way forward ... as he feels he has to do something as he doesn't want to die of what his dad died of.

I think I'll stick the 5:2 on my "might get round to that" list, as, having sat here for a year while I sell my house, I've definitely headed off along the route of scoffing far too much, too often (especially those sweeties). I wasn't cooking/eating properly as I always had an eye on "what if the phone rings and somebody wants to view" and the mess/mayhem that cooking/eating/washing up creates each time.

Back burner for that one.... but the idea's implanted. I thought Tue/Wed, or Wed/Thu for the "2" part might be doable at some point, to see. It'd certainly reduce the feeling that one has to perpetually be thinking of food/meals/cooking/eating.

Worth a watch if you're vaguely interested, or at a loose end: iPlayer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/horizon-20122013-3-eat-fast-and-live-longer
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    5.2 diet thoughts. I have seen that programme, and it is a popular method of dieting because it is so structured and doesn't need a lot of planning or "faddy foods". Not for me but it really should be given my current weight:o

I like mash, is there anyone who doesn't? I hated Navy mash, it was powdered mainly and lumps were just dry powder not a bit of spud
    PN, spuds mashed with forks in Chef speak are "Crushed" not mashed, helps to keep up the poncyness quotient & price

Last night's spud salad & LO lamb went well, I've still got some LO so that's today's dinner sorted

Breakfast porridge
    Lunch, back to cheese sarnie

Had a shock yesterday, I opened a new pack of L's cheese, BBE mid Sept. It was as green as my face:mad:. I binned it.
    I know I could've removed the green bits, but it was green furry all over so didn't fancy my chances, and CBA to take it back, not going in L's 'til Tuesday. Must've had a puncture in the packaging somewhere
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I too love mash!:p

I had a sandwich for breakfast and I have leftover onion soup for lunch.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Weird, I thought today was Saturday!:eek:

I was telling my husband that he was wrong.:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts