Trouble with Eon

Options
smyla_2
smyla_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I just wanted to make people aware of the problems I am having getting credit refunded from eon. The more information people have regarding a company's customer service record, the more informed they are when making decisions about which supplier to use.

I moved my account away from eon, as I had built up significant credit (around £400, after my bill was paid and before the next DD went in) which they were very reluctant to repay, so after many frustrating attempts to get my own money back I figured that closing my account was one way to achieve this, with lower energy bills an additional benefit.

My new supplier took over my energy supply (gas and electric) on the 11th Feb and after about a month with no refund I called eon who said they couldn't create my final gas bill because my new supplier had given them the wrong meter details. This seemed a bit strange as they would surely have my meter details being my supplier for the last 12 years!! But no - they were adamant my new supplier had to give them the details of the meter they were taking over. The new supplier gets those details from a central database, which it turns out that eon had not updated following the installation of a new smart meter last year.

My frustration levels are now starting to rise as they won't refund credit because they can't produce a final bill because they haven't
done their job of updating the central database.

Eventually they are persuaded to make this update and produce the final bill. I speak to them on March 27th and am assured they have prepared the final bill and sent it out (they can't email, apparently, and I can't access online as my account is now closed) and will pay the refund into my account.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago and no final bill has arrived and no refund has been made. When I eventually speak to them today (after several hours delay because all their systems are down!!), I'm told that the refund hasn't been made because now my eon account is closed they no longer have access to my bank account details!!!
Two things on this 1) My eon account has been closed for 2 months, so when I was told 2 weeks ago that the money would be refunded to my bank account, they must have known they wouldn't be able to do this, but said nothing and 2) no-one has rung, or emailed or written to me, since then, to say they no longer have these details, so I would presumably be waiting indefinitely with nothing happening if I hadn't called them.

Now I have called them, they say they can raise a cheque instead, and this will take 10 working days. Ten working days on top of the two months I've already waited. Oh and the final bill still hasn't arrived, so I have no idea whether what they will eventually pay me is correctly calculated.

Its just been hugely frustrating and I don't have a whole lot of confidence things will happen in the time frame they quote..

Sometimes, when you get bad service from a supplier, it helps a bit to have a good rant. Job done.

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    smyla wrote: »
    I just wanted to make people aware of the problems I am having getting credit refunded from eon. The more information people have regarding a company's customer service record, the more informed they are when making decisions about which supplier to use.

I moved my account away from eon, as I had built up significant credit (around £400, after my bill was paid and before the next DD went in) which they were very reluctant to repay, so after many frustrating attempts to get my own money back I figured that closing my account was one way to achieve this, with lower energy bills an additional benefit.

My new supplier took over my energy supply (gas and electric) on the 11th Feb and after about a month with no refund I called eon who said they couldn't create my final gas bill because my new supplier had given them the wrong meter details. This seemed a bit strange as they would surely have my meter details being my supplier for the last 12 years!! But no - they were adamant my new supplier had to give them the details of the meter they were taking over. The new supplier gets those details from a central database, which it turns out that eon had not updated following the installation of a new smart meter last year.

My frustration levels are now starting to rise as they won't refund credit because they can't produce a final bill because they haven't
    done their job of updating the central database.

Eventually they are persuaded to make this update and produce the final bill. I speak to them on March 27th and am assured they have prepared the final bill and sent it out (they can't email, apparently, and I can't access online as my account is now closed) and will pay the refund into my account.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago and no final bill has arrived and no refund has been made. When I eventually speak to them today (after several hours delay because all their systems are down!!), I'm told that the refund hasn't been made because now my eon account is closed they no longer have access to my bank account details!!!
    Two things on this 1) My eon account has been closed for 2 months, so when I was told 2 weeks ago that the money would be refunded to my bank account, they must have known they wouldn't be able to do this, but said nothing and 2) no-one has rung, or emailed or written to me, since then, to say they no longer have these details, so I would presumably be waiting indefinitely with nothing happening if I hadn't called them.

Now I have called them, they say they can raise a cheque instead, and this will take 10 working days. Ten working days on top of the two months I've already waited. Oh and the final bill still hasn't arrived, so I have no idea whether what they will eventually pay me is correctly calculated.

Its just been hugely frustrating and I don't have a whole lot of confidence things will happen in the time frame they quote..

Sometimes, when you get bad service from a supplier, it helps a bit to have a good rant. Job done.

Hello smyla and I'm sorry it's taking so long to close your account.

With a switch, the new supplier lets the losing supplier have the meter readings they intend to open their account to. The old supplier uses these readings to close their account. This stops the same energy from being charged twice. These readings go through a third party who check they're in line with past readings held for the property.

It sounds like this couldn't happen as the earlier meter exchange hadn't gone through. We currently have backlogs with meter exchange updates which were working to sort out.

As we've told you a final bill has now been issued, the meter exchange update will have been done. Not sure why you can't see this bill online. Customers can still access closed accounts with their username and password.

Similarly with the Direct Debit. These are left open so refunds can be made or payments collected. They only automatically cancel once the account balance is clear. Sometimes customers stop them once they start a switch so they're not paying two suppliers. Is this something you did? If so, we wouldn't have been able to reinstate it as the account was being switched. In these cases, as you say, we send refunds by cheque. Again, this should've been done automatically.

Sorry again for the delay smyla and the overall poor experience. I'll look into the issues you've raised.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • smyla_2
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Yes, it's possible I cancelled by direct debit, I honestly can't remember. I guess I would have thought that was a good idea, to prevent duplicate payments coming out. It would have been nice, if when the credit repayment was finally authorised, someone could have checked whether they had my bank details, and if not - sent a cheque, without waiting for 2 weeks for me to request it.
    I have tried again to access my online account and it tells me
    "We’re sorry, you’re no longer able to manage your account online as you don’t have any tariffs associated with this E.ON account number.

If you’d still like to join us, take a look at our latest tariffs and find the right tariff for you online."
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of corrections to Malc's reply:-
    1. A DD has absolutely nothing to do with the return of credits - it is merely a one way payment mechanism - I suspect that EON's systems are wrongly configured to wipe bank details when a DD is cancelled. There are so many tales on forums ,of losing suppliers continuing to debit customer accounts after a move ,that I now cancel DDs as a routine on leaving.
    2. Whilst what he says about the new supplier giving the old supplier the meter readings to use to close an old account is theoretically true, I have found on two occasions recently, that the verification step between old and new suppliers ,fails. The old supplier on BOTH occasions appear to have made their own final readings up and it has taken a lot of effort on my part to get the first one sorted -the second one is still "in dispute".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course if you're so much as one day late with a payment to Eon they'll trash your credit record. Great, isn't it.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Yes, it's possible I cancelled by direct debit, I honestly can't remember. I guess I would have thought that was a good idea, to prevent duplicate payments coming out. It would have been nice, if when the credit repayment was finally authorised, someone could have checked whether they had my bank details, and if not - sent a cheque, without waiting for 2 weeks for me to request it.
    I have tried again to access my online account and it tells me
    "We’re sorry, you’re no longer able to manage your account online as you don’t have any tariffs associated with this E.ON account number.

If you’d still like to join us, take a look at our latest tariffs and find the right tariff for you online."

[FONT=&quot]Hello smyla and thanks for coming back to me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I absolutely agree, you shouldn't have had to contact us about the cheque two weeks after the account closed. This should've been sent automatically and I'm sorry it wasn't.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With your online account, the message you've received is a holding note that pops up during a change of supplier. This will disappear and you'll be able to log in to your old account as before. It's not a great message and I'll talk to our IT people about making it clearer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sorry again for the difficulties you've had smyla.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Malc[/FONT]
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    A couple of corrections to Malc's reply:-
    1. A DD has absolutely nothing to do with the return of credits - it is merely a one way payment mechanism - I suspect that EON's systems are wrongly configured to wipe bank details when a DD is cancelled. There are so many tales on forums ,of losing suppliers continuing to debit customer accounts after a move ,that I now cancel DDs as a routine on leaving.
    2. Whilst what he says about the new supplier giving the old supplier the meter readings to use to close an old account is theoretically true, I have found on two occasions recently, that the verification step between old and new suppliers ,fails. The old supplier on BOTH occasions appear to have made their own final readings up and it has taken a lot of effort on my part to get the first one sorted -the second one is still "in dispute".

Hello brewerdave and you're right, once an account is fully closed, we'll clear any bank details we hold. This is part of our commitment to look after a customer's personal details.

With a change of supplier, we follow the path I mentioned to the OP above. Not sure about other suppliers and hope it's sorted for you sooner rather than later.

Malc
  • smyla_2
    Options
    Just a quick update on this. I didn't receive a cheque as promised within the 10 working days - so called them today to discover that they hadn't deleted my DD details as originally stated, so paid it in to that account. Naturally, I'm pleased I've eventually been reimbursed, but disappointed that they didn't think to tell me that!!
    So I'm finally free of Eon and certainly won't be re-joining them any time soon.
    Options
    Just a quick update on this. I didn't receive a cheque as promised within the 10 working days - so called them today to discover that they hadn't deleted my DD details as originally stated, so paid it in to that account. Naturally, I'm pleased I've eventually been reimbursed, but disappointed that they didn't think to tell me that!!
    So I'm finally free of Eon and certainly won't be re-joining them any time soon.

Glad this has been finally sorted smyla and sorry again for the delay.

Malc
  • aj1986
    Options
    Cant believe I've been with Eon so many times over the years. Now I've switched with a new supplier before they was telling me I'm in credit and now apparently I'm owed nothing so wheres my £154 Eon?? I'm a disabled person and a mother of two so your taking money from me & my children. I presume you don't like people leaving you. What right do you have to keep money that's in credit? I was told I'm in credit last week, it even shows on my account and then another volunteer of you guys say I'm not today how can this be possible? 
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aj1986 said:
    Cant believe I've been with Eon so many times over the years. Now I've switched with a new supplier before they was telling me I'm in credit and now apparently I'm owed nothing so wheres my £154 Eon?? I'm a disabled person and a mother of two so your taking money from me & my children. I presume you don't like people leaving you. What right do you have to keep money that's in credit? I was told I'm in credit last week, it even shows on my account and then another volunteer of you guys say I'm not today how can this be possible? 
    Good morning aj1986 and welcome to the forum.

It would normally be best to start your own thread, then we can see it better.

I'm sorry that we haven't been able to explain this better for you.

Although your account may have been in credit, once we have received your meter reads from your new supplier, we will produce a final bill. This will be made up of charges from your last bill up until the change of supply went through and may use up any credit that was on the account.

Please check the meter reads we have used on your final bill match the reads your new supplier has used to open your new account.

It may also be worth checking if previous bills have been estimated, as this final bill may have caused a slight catch up bill.

Please do get in touch with us though and we can go through the specifics of your account with you.

Thank you

Helena
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback