PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Cuddles, these people don't do hard work in stuffy offices - that's for the peasants like us. They only do the big fancy meals with the hired waitresses and the butler - and loads of booze..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We'll make the best of whatever is decided or whatever happens won't we? we've a wealth of accumulated experience in all practical areas of life and someone somewhere will have good solutions to problems that crop up. The unknown is always much scarier than the reality of what happens and we OSers are resourceful, determined, capable and have make do and mend down to a fine art. We can all make £1 do the work of £2 and best of all we all help and support any of us who need it, whatever happens after Brexit we'll still have us!
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 July 2018 at 8:25PM
    Options
    I follow a journalist on twitter and this week he's been urging people to get prepared for Brexit, which sounds like the plot of a disaster movie. Especially scary when you voted Remain and your plans fr your future have been shattered.

If people get feral, we have 2m high walls at the back with prikka-strip and CCTV and a 6ft cast iron gate on the front door plus CCTV,

We've started selling books (raised £50 so far) and we have boxes of DVDs to take to Cash Converters and we're sorting out stuff to eBay.

Last year we used savings to pay off credit card and loan, to give ourselves extra leeway on tax /price rises.

I've just started buying in bulk, things that won't go off for awhile/at all like tinned tomatoes, olive oil and loo rolls, for example.

We plan to start redecorating in September so that we can get house more finished if we suddenly need to sell.

For health reasons we can't bulk up on carbs, grains and pulses. Will be buying another freezer in the autumn, a decent one to last a few years so we can stash more meat, poultry and fish.

May do a refresher course on foraging, so we can find sorrel and wild garlic, for example.

With proceeds of stuff sold, want to get OH a good secondhand fishing rod - you don't need a licence for sea-fishing and coast not too far from us.

Looking in charity shops first for things we want rather than stores.

Getting passports so we can go over to France before March and come back with tinned soupe de poissons, ratatouille, cassoulet and wine to drown sorrows.

Looking for a wind up/solar battery radio and torch. Also a portable water filtration thing so we can use stream nearby. Thermal undies, hot water bottles. Have a stash of logs. Solar-powered fans if they exist.

Allotment waiting list already 2 yrs long, will try to grow some of the more expensive veg. Going to look for a cookbook on bottling veg.

I find this scary. it makes me angry that people were duped by lying politicians. Brexit wouldn't improve our lives at all. We could have had blue passports, like Croatia and government knows it. This charlatan government has already shown its contempt for Parliament's sovereignty in trying to sideline it and force massively important votes through in a hurry. The likes of Rees-Mogg, May's husband and Farage want out of EU before the law on tax haven transparency comes into effect 01 January 2019. They don't want us to know how much they cream off the top of this country's wealth and hide.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If it happens love we'll HAVE to deal with it and all that happens after it and hopefully make as good a life with what we find as we possibly can. The 'unknown' factor is what makes worries and uncertainty is unsettling but we're quite a resilient people and I'm pretty sure that we'll take the attitude of 'I'll show them' and be inventive and innovative and make ourselves as good a life as it's possible to make with what we find available. Think how the nation rose to the challenge of WW2, we don't like being underdogs, we'll get by!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is Mrs LW that there are generations of people who have been brought up to expect the state to sort everything out for them and have never known not being able to buy what they want to eat at a reasonable price. There are a lot of people who can barely cook never mind cope with shortages and power cuts.
    I’d like to think that people would step up and help each other but I’m not so sure. During the Second World War the people and before had to look after each other, or at least other family members. Nowadays families are spread across the country, even the world and expect others to look after their old and ill.
    I really really hope I’m wrong though.
    All we can do is prep and be ready.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you Mrs Stepford for your first and last paragraphs especially. To that end, shouldn't we also be prepping for consequences of NO Brexit?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that consecutive governments since WW2 have orchestrated a life where we have to rely on, where we expect and should have. It's the foundation of our consumer based economy in my eyes.

What I do know, boy do I know, is that when the absolute worst happens the most self centred, spending, must-have, must keep up and ignorant amongst us can change into a self reliant, resilient, savvy and wise person, influencing offspring and spouse to change too.

It doesn't happen over night but it happened to me over the course of the last 9 years. We will embrace what is coming because we're primed to adapt for survival. Who knows some might actually come to love the frugal life. That can happen. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think the British nation is a lot more competent and able than it thinks it is, we are NOT stupid and we have the capacity to learn and change our horizons and aspirations and whatever has been the norm in latter decades people really CAN make a good life IF Brexit happens. No one will sit and starve because they are depending on the government to feed them, life will undoubtedly be very different and the standard of affluence that is taken for granted as a 'right' will fade away but we'll more than survive. It's quite a surprise to see just how little you actually NEED to be fit and healthy as opposed to what you WANT to have. It's uncharted waters and in prospect it IS quite scary but most things in life that feel this way are copeable with when they actually happen. Change is never easy and usually means lots of hard work and adapting but it can sometimes lead to far better things than you ever thought were possible. Believe Fuddle in what she says, I've been on part of her journey with her and her lovely little family and I know how hard she's worked and how difficult it's been BUT she's made the changes, some of which were grindingly and devastatingly hard decisions to make and is through troubles and out into a very different and very much better life now, people are tougher than they believe aren't they?
  • mardatha
    Options
    Great posts! I'd agree with Fuds. Yes people have grown out of solidarity and self-resilience - but Tory govts since 2010 have been so focused on taking away power and money from the working poor that they have forced millions to learn fast. Even banks and police jobs are no longer safe - each and every one of these people will see the other side of life once they hit the Job Centre. Hard lessons but they won't be forgotten, whether we leave Europe or not.
  • mardatha
    Options
    But MrsL .....any nation that voted this lot in again after watching Cameron & Osbourne do their stuff really must have more screws loose than a box of Meccano :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback