I think I am reading my Smart electricity meter wrong

Options

Comments

• bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2018 at 4:32PM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    120kwh a month does sound low, we can only manage that if we go away on holiday and turn everything except the freezer, router and Sky box off.

We average about 8kwh a day at this time of the year but it can go up to 40+kwh/day in the winter.

I'd have thought that 200-250kwh a month was more realistic.

According to my present supplier (AVRO Energy) an average user of electricity consumes 3,100 Kwhr/year (approx 258KWhr per month,..8.5KWhr per day).

I use approx 6000 kWh/year;..and that makes me well above average! :j... which is quite pleasing because I was well below average at school.
  • cat8986
    cat8986 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    So I have just noticed on my EON online account that my electricity meter readings have been described as Day / Rate 1. What does this mean? I thought that this was the economy 7 thing where you have a day and night rate, which is the readings I've been getting when I press 6 four times...
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bri160356 wrote: »
    According to my present supplier (AVRO Energy) an average user of electricity consumes 3,100 Kwhr/year (approx 258KWhr per month,..8.5KWhr per day).

I use approx 6000 kWh/year;..and that makes me well above average! :j... which is quite pleasing because I was well below average at school.

Indeed, but consider it is a mathmatic average. So badly scewed by all the many many many supplies that are for 1 lightbulb etc. etc etc.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    cat8986 wrote: »
    So I have just noticed on my EON online account that my electricity meter readings have been described as Day / Rate 1. What does this mean? I thought that this was the economy 7 thing where you have a day and night rate, which is the readings I've been getting when I press 6 four times...
    Day rate 1 means a single rate meter is installed. Button 9 only for your meter, usually the very first screen on the scroll round various pointless screens will show the total kwh (import ).
    Only Secure Liberty meters go through this kerfuffle. The others, like Elsters and Landis Gyrs, Siemens just stick to simple kwhs.
    Watch out as well for the useless decimal point that Secure Liberty meters use with their 8 digits when only 5 is needed with UK domestic digital electric meters.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Watch out as well for the useless decimal point that Secure Liberty meters use with their 8 digits when only 5 is needed with UK domestic digital electric meters.

There were a lot of 6 digit domestic meters installed. As a mop they were installed correctly as 6 digits. Then they send out meter personal to but a blanking sticker over the high digit so they were 5. seemed like a bodge to me and a disaster waiting to happen! HWo knows how many are still wrong!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    1676 - 2302 = 626 units in 9 months - no way !

You need to seriously doubt your tenants reading.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    There were a lot of 6 digit domestic meters installed. As a mop they were installed correctly as 6 digits. Then they send out meter personal to but a blanking sticker over the high digit so they were 5. seemed like a bodge to me and a disaster waiting to happen! HWo knows how many are still wrong!
    They are still around creating havoc. The meters were from the Slovenian company Iskra which suddenly started appearing in my patch in South Yorks. I noticed that after a while the useless 6 th digit was covered up but they did nt get them all. lots of complaints and shocks when people started getting horrendous bills sent through.
    I d say that the Secure Liberty meters are a lot worse.
    The solar panel export meters, small white ones made by Ampy and Siemen, have 6 digits and they are constantly getting mis read by meter readers and occupiers. We even have one thicko who is in major dispute with BG because he s worked out he is due to hundreds of pounds more because of his stupidity with the decimal point. Last I heard BG were getting out a warrant because he will not allow access to his property. He virtually kicked me down the path when I called late last year for a meter inspection. Bring on the locksmith !
  • cat8986
    Options
    But I used 1676 units from February 2016 to June 2017 = 17 months.
    Maybe that’s just what the meter registers? I hardly have anything in my house anyway, it’s just me so my usage would always be low.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    cat8986 wrote: »
    But I used 1676 units from February 2016 to June 2017 = 17 months.
    Maybe that’s just what the meter registers? I hardly have anything in my house anyway, it’s just me so my usage would always be low.

But your tenants had (apparently) been using far less than you - 70 units a month.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • cat8986
    Options
    They were in for only 8 months, to end of February and a couple of days in March, so 78 units compared to my 98.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure