Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this story for real????
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Noddy1 wrote: »
    Hi

It came as a surprise because I just asked for time off and it was granted. It is quite hard to keep track of leave allowance from one year to another when it carries over.
    It really is not. You get a notebook, or a piece of paper and a pencil, and note when you have days off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Is this story for real????

Your guess is as good as mine...

Read the rest of his/her threads.
  • Noddy1
    Noddy1 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    My gosh - I didn't come here to get insulted for not studiously recording in a notepad the tally of days off I've taken for the last 5 years. That's HR's job.

Skipperbrown, your post was removed by a mod because it was completely off topic. In answer to your (now removed) question, which was completely irrelevant, yes the police did refund the money for the door soon after that post 8 years ago. Why the hell are you bringing up a post I made 8 years ago? What's the connection? Tell me about the genius reasoning of yours (sarcasm) which enables you to link that thread to this one? Why would you ask me how I'm feeling after an incident that happened EIGHT YEARS AGO!

Some of you have a serious problem here. Rather than helping those that come on this forum for advice, you latch onto some small detail and keep banging on about it. It's not just one of you - so many of you have now made stupid comments about my holiday records. Why? How does it benefit you? How is it relevant to the question I asked?

Thanks again to those that provided me with useful advice towards the start of this thread.

For those that have jumped on with utterly pointless insults and irrelevant comments, I feel sorry for how sad your lives must be to waste your time on a forum insulting random strangers. I just hope it made you feel slightly better about your insignificant lives.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, HR depts do not work for employees, despite some employers implying they are there for our benefit. Have you ever cancelled a booked holiday? Even with all the correct cancellation paperwork you cannot trust them to have actually cancelled the holiday. Without details of what they are "charging" you for you will not be able to fight their claim.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The relevance is they say you owe £12k and some of that is the holidays.

You need to either believe what they are saying and pay up the £12k or get them to detail the amount.

The issue you then have is if they produce a list of holidays that show you owe them money you will either have to believe that or reconstruct your version of what holidays you took and back that up to counter their claim for the holiday portion of the amount.

Same with the bonus how did that go wrong.

Employees have a responsibility to check they are getting paid correctly and that include holidays and any bonus payments.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My gosh - I didn't come here to get insulted for not studiously recording in a notepad the tally of days off I've taken for the last 5 years. That's HR's job.

Does it say in your contract it is HR job? If so then I do not think you can be held responsible for someone else's error.

All my contracts state I have 35 (or whatever) days holiday and that is it. Ie that is all 'i' can take. HR don't come into it.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Skipperbrown, your post was removed by a mod because it was completely off topic. In answer to your (now removed) question, which was completely irrelevant, yes the police did refund the money for the door soon after that post 8 years ago. Why the hell are you bringing up a post I made 8 years ago? What's the connection? Tell me about the genius reasoning of yours (sarcasm) which enables you to link that thread to this one? Why would you ask me how I'm feeling after an incident that happened EIGHT YEARS AGO!

Some of you have a serious problem here. Rather than helping those that come on this forum for advice, you latch onto some small detail and keep banging on about it. It's not just one of you - so many of you have now made stupid comments about my holiday records. Why? How does it benefit you? How is it relevant to the question I asked?

Thanks again to those that provided me with useful advice towards the start of this thread.

For those that have jumped on with utterly pointless insults and irrelevant comments, I feel sorry for how sad your lives must be to waste your time on a forum insulting random strangers. I just hope it made you feel slightly better about your insignificant lives.

You have time to write all that but not to answer perfectly relevant questions asking for further information.
  • christaitfife
    Options

Managing your holiday entitlement is your job. Just like ensuring your PAYE is correct is your job.

Get a breakdown. I know with some of the employers I have worked with, they will reclaim everything they can... so it will likely be:
    - Overpaid holidays
    - Your bonus (you are likely to have something in your contract regarding this)
    - Training costs (has you company paid for an MA or training courses?)

There is a way around this. Speak to your employer and see if they would be willing to give you an unpaid sabbatical for your Masters, or even drop-down to part time and work a few hours a week?
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is possible to be overpaid and not know though it is a lot do ask for a full breakdown. I have worked in my job for just under two years part time/term time and have recently had it confirmed I have been overpaid since starting and yes they legally can ask for it back. My wage has always been wrong as they set it up wrong and I knew no different. It was only noticed when a new payroll system was brought it that worked my wage out differently. The union advised me that the general rule of thumb is if you have been overpaid over six months then you should agree to repay over a similar time ie six months or claim hardship and offer reduced payment with details of income and expenditure. They said my case was rare but I'll still have to pay (mines about 900) The tax nat insurance etc needs to be looked at as adjustments need to be made depending on how you are repaying. Also please check there intentions for your last wage due, will they withhold it or pay it but then expect you to pay them separately. I'm only speaking from personal experience so if you have a union rep or employee support helpline please ring them before your meeting.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family