IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

My letter to Mike Coupe, CEO of Sainsbury's

Options

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The cost of childcare is no one apart from the parents problem - cant afford it, don’t have children - simple

WOW, you really are toxic ???

Were you the original "SCROOGE" ???
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I stumbled on this thread by accident and I'm intrigued. My local Sainsbury's allows 1.5 hours of parking (camera controlled) free of charge. Aldi does the same. That's more than enough for me to do my weekly shop.

Surely if anyone has a parking 'fine' it's because they've overstayed the 1.5 hours. This could happen anywhere where you paid for parking and then overstayed. It's not peculiar to SMs.

I don't see a problem with this. Am I missing something?:think:

In a number of cases, planning permission for the building of the store came with a codicil that the car park was also to be made available for those who wished to shop in other parts of the town. Often the stipulation was for 2 or even 3 hours. Reductions in the time allowance is often made by the parking operators in order to net more 'miscreants' and to maximise their profits. The fact that the store is then contravening planning permission is of no concern to the PPC - they won't let that stand in the way of their thirst for blood.

Your analysis @maman is, I'm afraid, far too simplistic.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Snakes_Belly
    Snakes_Belly Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are also situations where you have to put your registration number in at a terminal in the store. So if you go in for a particular product and it is not available then you could get a ticket.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    maman wrote: »

Am I missing something?:think:

Seems so ...... my email to Mike Coupe was saying that because he has the good sense to cancel the scam charges and that is why I chose to spend my money with his company.

And NeilCr, best not to encourage the Waitrose CEO by thanking him, he might think that the bad behaviour of the Tesco chairman should be followed ??
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2019 at 1:46PM
    Options
    The nurse in question cannot yet get a parking space at the hospital and it is costing her £3500.00 per year to just go to work.

In the scheme of things that is not too bad. lot.

A season ticket from Reading to London costs c@ £5.400, car parking, about £4,000. Pricey for a 23 minute journey.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2019 at 1:44PM
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »

And NeilCr, best not to encourage the Waitrose CEO by thanking him, he might think that the bad behaviour of the Tesco chairman should be followed ??

Not going to. But, I know that that car park needs some sort of control. There was some clown in there a few weeks back in an SUV parked diagonally across two disabled spaces. I did try to see if there was an attendant around.

I am quite happy to express my appreciation to the local staff on a well run, friendly and efficient store. As I do
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    My local Sainsbury is free, ditto Tesco. Aldi is the only local supermarket with a time limit. Local Station is free. Sainsbury in Stafford is pay and display but refundable from £5.00 and over spend. Tesco in Stafford three hours
    free.

It's often when people are out of their comfort zone that they get tickets. I would imagine that a good percentage of tickets issued are to people on holiday or out for the day and don't know the area well.

My Asda has an hour free. Aldi is free but the speed people go in and out of there I imagine the car space turnover is more than adequate!

The bigger out of town Sainsburys and Tescos are free. I think these are happy to encourage people to chill out there whereas the town centre ones need a quicker throughout and to stop rogue parking
  • beamerguy
    edited 19 May 2019 at 2:11PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Not going to. But, I know that that car park needs some sort of control. There was some clown in there a few weeks back in an SUV parked diagonally across two disabled spaces. I did try to see if there was an attendant around.

I am quite happy to express my appreciation to the local staff on a well run, friendly and efficient store. As I do

I think that might be the same SUV that comes to my area, does the same thing and even worse, seen it on the M4 where it comes up close and tries to hump my beamer
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,647 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    In a number of cases, planning permission for the building of the store came with a codicil that the car park was also to be made available for those who wished to shop in other parts of the town. Often the stipulation was for 2 or even 3 hours. Reductions in the time allowance is often made by the parking operators in order to net more 'miscreants' and to maximise their profits. The fact that the store is then contravening planning permission is of no concern to the PPC - they won't let that stand in the way of their thirst for blood.

Your analysis @maman is, I'm afraid, far too simplistic.

Thanks for the explanation.

I suppose you might be caught out if the time was reduced and you didn't notice. Locally the conditions are well signposted.

I do find the immotive language about scams and blood and sharks OTT though. This is car parking.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do find the immotive language about scams and blood and sharks OTT though. This is car parking.
    ..... where private parking operators have issued well over 7million tickets in just the past year (over nineteen thousand tickets on each and every day of the year) and where they stand to profit by £700million in just 12 months.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-7037241/DVLA-sold-6-8m-driver-details-parking-ticket-firms-year.html

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=127930

The House of Commons officially described this as a 'scam' and has passed major legislation aimed at curbing the wanton excesses of an out of control, unregulated industry, where ex-criminals are setting up parking companies with ease and quickly getting access to the personal data of both you and me, should either of us transgress their heavily loaded in their favour rules.

Once more, I'm afraid, your analysis seems contextually under-informed.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport