Switched from SKY so they still took next months Direct Debit!

Options
Yorkshire_Pud
Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 7 September 2017 at 7:53PM in Broadband & internet access
How very not surprising. Switched to EE got letter from Sky saying a Final Bill would be generated. Switch took place a week ago yesterday Sky took the monthly full DD even though I'm no longer a customer. Had to keep DD in place to pay Final Bill but surprise surprise no final bill just the increased out of contract DD that I would have been liable for had I not switched. Sky had nearly three weeks notice.

Funny how these (regulated) companies always manage to make errors in their favour isn't it and I have to ask for my money back.
If only there was a Regulator these things would never happen (irony).

Strangely I have never once been the recipient of a credit made in error by a phone and broadband provider but I have severally been the victim of errors in their favour that unchallenged would have resulted in their innapropriate enrichment.

Anyone would think they did it on purpose:)

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It'll balance out and you'll get the remaining balance back, often automatically after your final bill has been generated. It's not an "error in their favour", it tells you in the T&Cs you pay for internet/phone a month in advance...
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    edited 8 September 2017 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Yes I don't have to pay Sky a month in advance from 5th September when I ended the contract on 29th August.

I may 'owe' them five days that I've already PAID a month ago for breaking the contract a few days early but I've paid it already just to reiterate the point.

I don't believe they have a right to debit me for a month ahead when I've switched already, that's my money not theirs.

But appreciate your reassurance they will pay me the money back that they were not entitled to take in the first place :) I will get 100% of the money back because none of it was owing.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Most providers don't do pro-rata months as your payment is for the month in advance. If this happens to straddle a direct debit payment then that's the way the system works. Normally if you leave partway through that month then any credit after the final bill gets refunded to you. Make sure you chase it though if you don't get it after, say, six weeks or so at the most.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    I finally managed to access my Sky account online using a different device.
    It shows that the Bill was generated on 21st August for the DD on 5th September so that must explain why the payment was taken even though I was out of contract.

Also shows the next bill and DD on 5th October is a minus so I get the refund in full of the DD just taken plus a few days from the prior bill.

I understand how it works now, bit like expecting a ship to stop dead in its tracks. Just a pity its not dynamic enough to organise my refund now instead of making me wait for four weeks to the DD payment date when I'm not their customer any longer!

Thanks for the sound advice.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    It'll balance out and you'll get the remaining balance back, often automatically after your final bill has been generated. It's not an "error in their favour", it tells you in the T&Cs you pay for internet/phone a month in advance...

I waited patiently for over a month for my refund.

It didnt appear.

Checked my account online,its now a CREDIT to my account which will be rolled over ad infinitum.

Now sent SMS as per their contact us details and see what happens. Won't be simple I'm sure;)
  • tomthered
    tomthered Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    could you not pull it back via the Direct debit guarantee?
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    tomthered wrote: »
    could you not pull it back via the Direct debit guarantee?

I could but it would risk a mark on my credit file. I've been told this by several people and companies.

They replied to my SMS asking for full name and address. Already gave them the account number. Nothing's ever enough and they caused the problem!
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    should have cancelled the DD, then phoned and said you wanted a final bill amount there and then and paid over the phone.

They can't mark your file if you ceased being a customer and any payment they think is due is for service after you ceased being a customer.

i've done it this way a few times when a bill is due but i've switched on or near the end of the month i'm paid up for.

in most cases if you've given the correct notice / switched via getting a new provider and haven't made any chargeable calls etc it means they will owe you money at the time of the switch as you pay for line rental / broadband in advance.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Few years ago, I have experienced this with another company and got short changed. Now my strategy is to contact the bank and camcel the DD immdeiately after swith to new ISP. Old ISP send warning emails and letters. I pay the correct amount when I get the final bill
  • bitofsaving
    Options
    I've just had the exact same experience. Announced my switch Oct 9th to leave on Nov 1st. New bill for period Nov 12-Dec 12 was generated on Oct 29th, three days before my leaving date, so I have just been billed (at full, increased rate) for a four week period beginning 10 days after I've left their service. They can't refund me until after my next bill has been generated (Nov 29th), and in order to receive a refund (rather than having the credit sit there indefinitely), I needed to ring in. So, I would not have received a refund automatically, without getting in touch. Even understanding how the system works, I think this is entirely unacceptable. They knew more than three weeks before the Oct 29th bill date that I was going to leave Nov 1st. Surely, they can configure their system to take that into account. Also, the refund should occur automatically, and not need the customer to ring in. They now owe me over £50, which I won't see until early December. What about people who can't afford to "loan" £50 to a company (without interest, I might add!)?
    My experience dealing with Sky has been all around poor. Setting up took over three weeks and countless phone calls, and now leaving is a hassle as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure