PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• Riggster
    Riggster Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?

I'm intrigued as to what you feel an inspection would achieve?
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought that they may at least be able to help me find out where he is or if he is known to them, don't they have a database?
    I don't think you understand how it works. Even if he is known to them they're not going to give you all his details! Perhaps you should speak to a Private Investigator if you want him found!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    How were you planning to prevent children?

Errrrm.....put it in the contract to start with that children weren't allowed.

Duh!!
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Riggster wrote: »
    I'm intrigued as to what you feel an inspection would achieve?

I want someone reliable to tell me what kind of animal this is, if it is noisy or aggressive, whether it has any friends in with it and whether it is distributing its mud, hair, smells, scratches all over the carpet and furniture!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Errrrm.....put it in the contract to start with that children weren't allowed.

Duh!!
    That doesn't work really....
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I want someone reliable to tell me what kind of animal this is, if it is noisy or aggressive, whether it has any friends in with it and whether it is distributing its mud, hair, smells, scratches all over the carpet and furniture!

It could be a tiger, giraffe or crocodile - how are you still not understanding that it is TOTALLY irrelevant.

You cant even evict them without returning the £4,000 deposit!
    Options
    You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?

A landlord is allowed to inspect - with that 24 hours notice. When I was in private rented accommodation I was always very conscious that the landlord had that right.

Presumably the same applies to their agent - ie the neighbour in this case.
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    That doesn't work really....

Why?

The agent (or supposed agent in this case) asks them at the outset if they have any children or are pregnant. Simples....
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It could be a tiger, giraffe or crocodile - how are you still not understanding that it is TOTALLY irrelevant.

I just can't believe that is true. What if it were a whole zoo? What if it were a brothel?? What if they were assembling nuclear bombs or sacrificing children at the altar??? There must be a line somewhere!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A landlord is allowed to inspect - with that 24 hours notice. When I was in private rented accommodation I was always very conscious that the landlord had that right.

Presumably the same applies to their agent - ie the neighbour in this case.

It's not as cut and dry as that.

The landlord needs to give 24 hours written notice before attempting to enter the property. The tenancy agreement should state under which circumstances the landlord can enter the property, inspections, repairs, viewing at the end of the tenancy, etc. Who knows what provisions the TA used by the OP contains?

The tenants could tell a landlord to bog off citing their right to quiet enjoyment and then it would be down to the landlord forcing entry and risking harassment charges or going to court for an order enforcing clauses in the TA which are supposed to allow access.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure