PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Your tenant can refuse inspections. Given your behaviour, and that of your agent and neighbour, it would be most reasonable to do so.

My 'behaviour' so far involves one polite call to the tenants, and I really can't control my neighbour, she is an independent person. I am going to make another polite request, to inspect as soon as I can find someone to do it. The neighbour has offered to do it for free but I am not sure that is a good idea.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The agent is doing what he agreed to do. The contract doesn't require him to speak to the LL. Whilst it might be expected in an agency agreement, the contract simply asked them to deduct the tax owing and the 15% fee.

It's a civil matter, unless the agent really has absconded. as the rent is still trickling in I doubt it.
    That's why I said it could be fraud ;)
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    SuboJvR wrote: »
    This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.

This surely depends who was on the inside of the window.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
    Yet you expect them to do something about your situation that may or may not be fraud yet as you haven't determined if the agent has disappeared yet or not?!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
    where abouts is this then?....
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    My 'behaviour' so far involves one polite call to the tenants, and I really can't control my neighbour, she is an independent person. I am going to make another polite request, to inspect as soon as I can find someone to do it. The neighbour has offered to do it for free but I am not sure that is a good idea.
    Your behaviour involves failing to protect £4,000 of their money!
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You can't control your ex-neighbour but it is down to you to tell her to stop spying on your tenants now you know she does that. Do it in writing. You don't want the tenants to be able to claim you told her to do it, do you? Taking photos of them in their own home is really bad.

I bet she would love to do the inspection. She sounds like the kind of nosy busybody who would kill for the chance to snoop around someone else's home, make up all kinds of nonsense because she's taken against them for some reason and spread the gossip afterwards. Do not let her do this.

By the way, I am a woman with a very well-paid job in financial services who could afford to pay a year's worth of my London rent upfront if I so chose. Right now I'm working from home so I can receive some deliveries and let the gardener in; I do this fairly often as it makes little difference to my job if I'm in the office or here. The neighbours know I'm here as they've seen me wander out into the garden in jeans and a hoodie - not professional businesswoman attire. I'm pretty sure they are not sending grainy photos to my overseas landlord (they are friends) speculating on my employment status, as they are reasonable people and not interfering lunatics.
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    where abouts is this then?....
    I think the OP said earlier they currently live live in Scotland. So not surprising really :D
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Yet you expect them to do something about your situation that may or may not be fraud yet as you haven't determined if the agent has disappeared yet or not?!

I thought that they may at least be able to help me find out where he is or if he is known to them, don't they have a database? If not then I have to wait until I have some definite indication but it is really not looking very promising at the moment.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    You don't want the tenants to be able to claim you told her to do it, do you? Taking photos of them in their own home is really bad.

No no, the photos were taken through HER window, she is a hiding behind the blinds sort of woman. She hasn't so far taken any photos of them inside their home. I agree that it is not ideal behaviour but hopefully the tenants haven't noticed or will just laugh it off. I will ask her to please not irritate them and stop taking photos, but if she does notice anything obviously strange I would prefer to know about it given my current situation, to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure