Cancelling Sky, what an utter disaster!!

Options
Is it normal to have such issues when cancelling Sky, as I have never done it before?
Are they always this awkward and incompetent??

I have been with them for 20+ years and normally just haggle a retention, but when my bill more than doubled in Jan without any reminder, I decided to just switch to Virgin!

So the end of Jan I went on live chat when I got in from work, and was on there in a queue until it basically cut me off at 7pm and said live chat had closed.
This was four days straight!!

So on Feb 1st I wrote Sky a signed letter with all my details, giving my notice to cancel, and asking for written confirmation and end date.

Over the next week I had two missed calls to my mobile while I was in work, both times they left a vm just saying they were ringing regarding my letter and could I ring them back, no reason as to why!
I had no interest in ringing them, that was why I tried live chat and then a letter!

On Feb 21, I had not heard from them in writing yet, so emailed them asking for an update, to be told by reply they had my letter, but had been unable to contact me to confirm 'security details', and so basically they have ignored it and have closed my cancellation request!! Unbelievable!!!

They said they can open it again if I provided some security details by reply, which I duly did.

They replied the next day that they would now action my cancellation, but from TODAY'S DATE, with two extra emails "sorry you are leaving", one for TV and one for tel/bb, both stating my cancellation was from March 26th!!

Er no chance, I replied reminding them I had written to them three weeks earlier and they chose to ignore it, and that is when my notice goes from, Feb 1st, I want it to end on March 1st and I WILL NOT BE PAYING FOR MARCH!

They replied saying this will be actioned, and I will be sent confirmation by post!

I then had another pile of emails!

First one for each service saying "we are glad you are staying with us", then another one for each saying "sorry you are leaving" again, both now with totally different end dates of 01/03 for tel, and 21/03 for tv..!!
Then another two sorry you are leaving emails, with 10/03 for tel, and 16/03 for tv!!!

What on earth is going on???
So I then cancelled my direct debit as it was turning into a farce!

I have still heard nothing by any method, post or email, and today have had another email stating that my March payment of £63 is now overdue!!

I logged into my sky account and there is still nothing on there about any end dates, is showing March payment for period 04/03-04/04 is now overdue, and my future bills section also shows pending bills for April, May and June....!!

To me it still doesn't look like anything has been cancelled!!!
As of today 06/03, my tel line & bb are still active!

What the hell is the matter with those morons??

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March 2019 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Check your contract, I believe it doesn't allow for written cancellations.
    So I then cancelled my direct debit as it was turning into a farce!

No matter how frustrating, this might have been a mistake, if Sky report to the CRAs and there are missed payments as a result, this could seriously damage your credit record.

I'm not certain whether Sky report to the CRAs, so this is something to check.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On Feb 21, I had not heard from them in writing yet, so emailed them asking for an update, to be told by reply they had my letter, but had been unable to contact me to confirm 'security details', and so basically they have ignored it and have closed my cancellation request!! Unbelievable!!!

They didn't ignore it though, they tried twice to contact you and left voice messages, you actually caused this by ignoring them since you knew full well what the calls were about.
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any company or government agency in the country will accept a signed written letter to action anything, but they won't?

The vm they left literally just said "it's xxx from sky, could you ring us back?"
    Nothing as to why. Why should I spend hours on hold to them, exactly the reason why I didn't ring to cancel in the first place!!

We are 6yrs into a 12yr DMP, our credit is already shot, so couldn't care less about what it does!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any company or government agency in the country will accept a signed written letter to action anything, but they won't?

Apparently not.
    The vm they left literally just said "it's xxx from sky, could you ring us back?"
    Nothing as to why. Why should I spend hours on hold to them, exactly the reason why I didn't ring to cancel in the first place!!

What exactly do you think they should have said? And 'hours on the phone'? I don't think so.
    We are 6yrs into a 12yr DMP, our credit is already shot, so couldn't care less about what it does!!

So you won't care about the debt collectors banging on your front door?
  • wavesandcurls
    wavesandcurls Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2019 at 10:19PM
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Check your contract, I believe it doesn't allow for written cancellations

It does, it states quite clearly in T&C that you can cancel in writing, it also states it in emails they send when confirming an order.

It does state that they may call you to confirm security... But I'm not sure how legal this is especially for customers with a disability who cannot use the phone for whatever reason.

Having same issue over cancelling Sky Talk and Broadband. I cancelled in writing stating please do not phone me as I communicate via email only. I got an email days after letter posted which confirmed they had my letter and it asked me to confirm my name, address, postcode and some digits from my password.

I replied with what they asked and that was the last I heard... Until they sent me a email telling me they are adding Early Termination Charges to my account, despite me cancelling within cooling off period.

Needless to say they ain't getting a penny in ETC's from me as again their T&Cs state if we email you regarding your cancellation this is an acknowledgement we have received your letter!

Forwarding a complaint to them in the post if they continue to argue I'll go to OFCOM!

The vm they left literally just said "it's xxx from sky, could you ring us back?" Nothing as to why. Why should I spend hours on hold to them, exactly the reason why I didn't ring to cancel in the first place!!

They don't report to CRA's and don't perform a credit check, you are billed in advance for Sky.

OP having similar issues, only rather than a phone call as I asked them not to phone me they emailed asking me to confirm security, including questions that were in the letter like my name, address and postcode! Despite me replying they never contacted me further until an email telling me they were adding Early Termination Charges to my account.

Point out to them you wrote to them as per your terms and conditions to give notice, their telephone calls acknowledge they had your letter regardless of whether you answered the phone or not!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It does, it states quite clearly in T&C that you can cancel in writing, it also states it in emails they send when confirming an order.

A few years back, they didn't allow cancellations other than in writing and there was an outcry about it. Obviously, they've changed their ways, thank you for updating me.
    Forwarding a complaint to them in the post if they continue to argue I'll go to OFCOM!

You'll need to follow Sky's complaints procedure, which includes escalation to an ADR (ombudsman). If you don't like that decision your main option is to take the matter to court as Ofcom doesn't deal with individual complaints.
  • Bollo2019
    Bollo2019 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've left Sky very quickly and very easily.

Don't do the live chat on the main website, go on the "My Sky" app on your phone.

Alternatively, if you had picked up their calls once, they would have confirmed you as the account holder and that you were cancelling.

Or otherwise you could have just rang them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Seems to me the OP has been deliberately obstructive to a smooth exit from Sky. It really is a simple matter to cancel on the telephone and it does not involve "hours" on hold even at the busiest times.

It is also always a mistake to simply cancel a Direct Debit prior to properly cancelling, since a month's notice is required as part of the legally-binding contract.

Given the OP's current circumstance, I'd think the last thing they'd want would be further problems with unpaid debt..
  • wavesandcurls
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    You'll need to follow Sky's complaints procedure, which includes escalation to an ADR (ombudsman). If you don't like that decision your main option is to take the matter to court as Ofcom doesn't deal with individual complaints.

I know this now, did some reading last night. :D

However, I am sorted now. Sky called today and agreed the letter was sufficient notice and apologised for not replying to the email which I replied to with the security information. They have now cancelled the early termination charges.
  • wavesandcurls
    Options
    Bollo2019 wrote: »
    Or otherwise you could have just rang them.

Not everyone can use a telephone especially if they have a disability. Sky need to be flexible and take into account those with disabilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure