Sky Freesat

Options
If there's anyone who has the answer to my question I'd be grateful to hear your reply as by phoning Sky got no conclusive result I'm hopeful of a more definite reply! I'm just changing my Virgin TV after a years subscription back to the sky+ box and dish that I was using up until a year ago which still puts out a selection of programmes but although I'm happy with the selection available that comes for free with nothing having been paid to Sky, I can't use the box anymore as I used to be able to for recording, live pause, rewind etc, just for viewing the channels. I was wondering that if I paid the one-off fee of £25 to Sky will I get more from my box such as these recording features? Anyone else been in the same situation who can advise me?

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No, you would have to pay a subscription to use the box to record programmes or use live pause/rewind. You used to be able to pay £10 a month for these services but I'm not sure if they still do that any more. I don't know what the "one-off fee of £25" is for.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Freesat HDR (recorder) is about £200 and is a direct replacement for a Sky HD box (Sky Q dishes require a new LNB to work with Freesat boxes).
    So a one off cost to access and record Freesat.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    . I don't know what the "one-off fee of £25" is for.
    That's a reference to the ancient history that is Freesat-From-Sky. Sky used to provide a non-subscription viewing card for a £25 fee. It never allowed access to Sky+ recording functionality, however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure