Denied boarding on cancelled flight's replacement. Can I claim?

Options
sellhimechoes
sellhimechoes Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 11 March 2019 at 6:03PM in Flight delay compensation
To simplify a long-winded situation, my flight was cancelled due to a fault. The airline put us up for the night with a meal and promised we could board the next available flight in the morning. The flight was Stansted to Dundee.

While checking in we were denied boarding to the morning flight due to the plane being full. This is after a promise and guarantee from their rep at the airport that there was space for all. We were then promised a space on the NEXT flight after that, but this would be a whole 24 hours delayed and we couldn't afford that. We paid for our own travel home as we had no choice.

Logan Air has correctly offered us compensation for the cancelled flight, but refuse to offer compensation for the denied flight. I believe they will refund the unused ticket which will cover our additional flight.

So my question - Can I claim against the denied flight? Logan Air state since it's a part of the same journey, it doesn't count.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your flight was cancelled. Compensation due if not an EC.
    Your were denied boarding on a different flight. Compensation due.
    You are also due the additional expenses you incurred over and above the cost of the original flight, when you made your own travel arrangements.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • sellhimechoes
    Options
    The original flight was cheaper than my own travel arrangements so I'm more than happy to receive a refund on the unused ticket. (I paid a premium for convenience). Unless I read that wrong and you're implying I'm entitled to a refund for the unused ticket AND my own expenses?

Thanks for your reply. I'll do some digging to see if I can find anything in their own handbook as we've been back and forth a few times without any sort of movement...
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2019 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Unless I read that wrong and you're implying I'm entitled to a refund for the unused ticket AND my own expenses?

You mean your expenses to get to Dundee? If so, no. If the original ticket was more expensive than your costs to get home then ask for a refund of the former. It will be more straightforward to claim anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure