Money Moral Dilemma: Should I go back and pay for my train ticket?

Options
1235»

Comments

• oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 27 January 2019 at 2:33PM
    Options
    I would say Yes, similar to MothballsWallet this type of incident ultimately increases fares for others.

Presumably the train would have run whether the OP was on or not, so the TOC costs are the same.

Without being contentious how is a single none paying passenger going to increase others fares?

You could argue that if the majority used a discount card of some sort then every other passenger would have increased fares?

In my neck of the woods the local stations have barriers at the main stations but are disconnected at night and no ticket checks are done on trains. Presumably because of low passenger volumes it costs more to provide staff to catch the none payers than the revenue that would be generated.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    You sound very honest, but why do the train companies make it so easy to travel without a ticket? You could offer to pay but I think they would probably tell you to forget it.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Make a donation to a charity working to reduce suicides.

If it means one less driver has to deal with someone jumping in front of their train, that'll be a much better outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure